Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-26-2006, 09:07 PM
cdevon1200

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to cdevon1200

" Do you have a source for your billet aluminum? If not, send me a pm with thicknesses and sizes you need. I work in an aviation and aerospace machine shop, and I can buy it cheap."
yes i do, as a matter of fact, its called metal supermarket and they deliver!
but i normally go there and look for scraps, cheaper if its on the floor not the rack. i was thinking 3/8 or so for the butt plates and end caps, grip floor cap. and 1/4 for the long runs of the floor of the for end and rear link. but thats all got to be drawn out first. and then ill make a jig to start cutting the stock, i was goint to do it from solid 6061 but thats a VERY BIG chunck of billet, the machineshop part is easy its the rest thats hard
cdevon1200
Old 11-26-2006, 09:10 PM
ChargerTom
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Woo! If you want to do an entire stock from 6061, and have the CNC machine that is capable of doing it .. I can get you the material.

I think that would be awesome. I've thought about doing it myself, but writing the program would take forever.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:00 PM
cdevon1200

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to cdevon1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerTom
Woo! If you want to do an entire stock from 6061, and have the CNC machine that is capable of doing it .. I can get you the material.

I think that would be awesome. I've thought about doing it myself, but writing the program would take forever.
yeah that would be the issue, at first i was thinking of just using an old time x,y "etch-a-sketch" style mill for the basic shap and inletting, and doing the rest with a belt sander, but i still think the end product will be very heavy, so i thought of the modular style like ra stuff, as it uses less to make more, but a true billet 10/22 would be cool.
now that i think about it.. cant you put a stock in the cnc and have it "read" the stock? there is your base, and from there its just feed it billet and let it eat? or is that a different type of cnc?
cdevon1200

Old 11-26-2006, 11:29 PM
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
It's called digitizing. I do not know if it still that way but you had to put it on a Coordinate measuring machine and measure the the ting and then the program goes from there. A good CCM is 500,00 dollars. We had two at the aerospace foundry I worked in and some good quality shops will have them.

Funny just as was writing that there was a thing came on local late Sunday sports show abot digitizing Nascar stock cars so a fast body can be repeated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 12-21-2006, 10:14 PM
rigrat
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Send a message via Yahoo to rigrat
Well Hipshot you went and done it again. The TNZ Mannlicher is deffinately one of my favorites and the TNZ Mannlicher is one fine stock.

Your abilities are truly stunning, and I can't wait to see what you'll come up with next.

Everyone should check out the first page of this thread and check out Hipshot's new TNZ as I have updated the data to include this new stock.

Or just hop over to:
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=162276

And look at Hipshots new TNZ which is truly stunning.

Another one Hipshot has been working on that all of us have been following is the Talon.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=159998

Have you got that BR stock painted yet? I bet everyone is like me and anxiously awaiting finished pictures.

Keep up the great work and coming up with new designs.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:49 AM
rigrat
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Send a message via Yahoo to rigrat
Well Hipshot has done it again!

Check out the updated first page to this thread or go directly to the links below

Released on the 17th was the version 3 of the Raptor. Looks like this is the version going into production, either with or without the forearm dimples.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=166408

Just released is the Lavender Lady! This is a revisited Benchrest model that Hipshot originally did as a tribute to Sawdust's Polar Bear.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=167514

Released on the 17th was the version 3 of the Raptor. Looks like this is the version going into production, either with or without the forearm dimples.

Now I guess the question is what the year 2007 will bring us in the Hipshot line of stocks?

I'm sure Hipshot will come up with some new designs for us, or at least I'm hoping he does. I have got accustomed to seeing the new ideals that has become a staple around here in stock modding.

So I'll be patiently awaiting the next design, knowing it just keeps getting better and better.

Great job again Hipshot, keep up the good work. You are a inspiration to all that take the time to read your how-to's and look at the stocks you have built.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:06 PM
22AGS

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I really enjoyed that pictorial tribute! WoW, talent to burn-- if you saw my post on my own stock you know my taste runs different, but I sure can appreciate beauty when I see it, some of those rifles remind me of a '57 Chevy. You sure beat MY act, Great work!
Old 11-14-2007, 07:45 PM
justfrofun

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Now those are some great looking stocks.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:34 PM
worslk

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Very nice work!
Old 11-19-2007, 05:23 PM
WidowMaker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
While none of those stocks tickle my "gotta have" bone, I am DEEP GREEN with envy of the talent/imagination and creativity to be able to do such masterful work...

WidowMaker
Old 05-26-2008, 11:15 PM
SQUAWSACH

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Wow! Hipshot really does have a very impressive catalog of work posted here at RFC. I'm glad someone pulled them together for me to drool at. I love what Hipshot does with stocks. They flow and to my eye they never look clubby or out of proportion.

Sawdust is working on a Super Stock for me at the moment. I'll post pics when it's complete. You may be surprised by his lastest project.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:03 AM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
That will be something to see Squawsach. We are always up for a SuperStock from you guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 05-28-2008, 08:25 AM
Tuck

TPC Rating: 
100% (28)
hipshot made me my own style thumbhole. here is the stock I made in in return. I did candy it and painted a pearl orange eagle on the bottom grip. he also made me a lefty savage thumbhole.
he does great work.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:31 PM
OpsMgr
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQUAWSACH View Post
Wow! Hipshot really does have a very impressive catalog of work posted here at RFC. I'm glad someone pulled them together for me to drool at. I love what Hipshot does with stocks. They flow and to my eye they never look clubby or out of proportion.

Sawdust is working on a Super Stock for me at the moment. I'll post pics when it's complete. You may be surprised by his lastest project.
Outstanding! Can't wait - Like Vince said, it should be something to behold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
hipshot made me my own style thumbhole. here is the stock I made in in return. I did candy it and painted a pearl orange eagle on the bottom grip. he also made me a lefty savage thumbhole.
he does great work.
Nice work!
Old 05-28-2008, 05:18 PM
tnvol
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wow! Nice looking stocks!!