Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:41 AM
redlightrich

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New to rifle scopes need help please

Hello all. I mostly am a pistol shooter. I generally use the iron sights. I have recently bought a CZ 455 American, which comes with a scope mount cut on the receiver. It is made to be scoped.

I have been spending the last several weeks trying to decide which scope to buy. I read,and looked at scopes for sale, became confused, and stopped.
I have been thru this process many times. I have become paralyzed due to the many choices and my lack of understanding and experience.

I want to shoot steel at 50 yards, and target from 40 to 100 yards. I do not intend to hunt with this rifle and scope.
I am not a world class target guy, although I enjoy accuracy. I am farsighted ( I can't see near as well as far) I also have difficulty seeing in dim light. I will not shoot at the crack of dawn, or dusk due to this condition.

On my Ruger 10/22, I have an inexpensive Simmons scope , which is fine for my uses on the Ruger, however, I use the Ruger only to shoot steels at 35-50 yards. No target at all. I only paid around 40 dollars for the Simmons scope new, so my expectation was very low. It however seems to suit my needs? It is a 3-9 x 32. I leave it set in the middle of its "magnification" adjustment. However, I am shooting 3" plates or larger at a short distance. I can easily hit them with my pistol and iron sights, so I am not asking much of this scope.

I was hoping to get better accuracy from my CZ bolt, and I wanted to add a better quality scope. I will spend up to 250 dollars for a nice scope. I will not share this scope among my other rifles, so when it's zeroed on my CZ, it will stay put.
Please don't become upset if this question seems to be answered elsewhere, like I said, I have researched a lot, and the more I read and shop, the greater the confusion.
Again, my use is steel at 50 yards ( between 35-55) and target at 50 or 100 yards. It depends on which range is available to me when I shoot. My price is up to 250. It will only be used on the 455 American in 22lr. I don't see myself ever wanting to use the CZ beyond 100 yards if that matters. For some reason, I keep looking at Nikon? Not sure if they are good in this class.

Thank you for your help and sorry for the long winded message. I am trying to be descriptive, to get the best chance of obtaining help..help..Help!!

Rich

Thank you again for any help you can provide.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:46 AM
DGF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Time to another variable for you. What about a scope that has an illuminated dot,not a red dot but a full scope mildot that you can turn on a red or green dot. Check out the airrifle sites. Hawke and Leapers
Old 02-17-2017, 08:48 AM
ivan

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Best inexpensive (but not cheap) high magnification scope - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/115...bjective-matte

AO goes down to 30 feet. Golf balls at 100 yards are easy with it if you and your rifle can keep up. Used mine last weekend to shoot 1/5 scale steel silhouette chickens at 100 yards.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:32 PM
Hobbiest

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Nikon makes some good clear glass. The crosshairs usually arnt to thick and would probably suit you however I think the bdc reticle is more fit for hunting then target when you get to the circles. At 100 yrds if your guns zeroed at 50 yrds its going to drop about 6 ". Just something to think about on the nikon. Maybe someone can chime in that uses the bdc on target shooting. Going to want at least a 4-16 for 100 yd target. 3-9 wont cut it. GL on your search. Also going to want AO on a target scope. If you don't understand parallax You will need to read about it here to see why you need ao.

Last edited by Hobbiest; 02-17-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:37 PM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan View Post
Best inexpensive (but not cheap) high magnification scope - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/115...bjective-matte

AO goes down to 30 feet. Golf balls at 100 yards are easy with it if you and your rifle can keep up. Used mine last weekend to shoot 1/5 scale steel silhouette chickens at 100 yards.
Wow! $115. Can't hardly go wrong at that price.

Whatever you get start with Burris Signature rings so you don't have to worry about lapping the rings or damaging your scope tube, and have a way to easily fix mis-alignment issues.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:43 PM
Sophia

RFC Admin Team
TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightrich View Post
I want to shoot steel at 50 yards, and target from 40 to 100 yards.
Make sure you get a scope with "adjustable objective" (AO) in the description.

You might find something here you can use: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums....php?p=1522944
Old 02-18-2017, 07:43 AM
redlightrich

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you all very much for your thoughtful responses. Ivan, that is a terrific value that you were kind enough to apply a link to. I have become comfortable with Simmons since my last purchase. Yes, inexpensive, but it works for me.
If I am not mistaken, the suggested scope has the AO, which will adjust for parallax?
Sometimes, I read up, and think, wow, the scope world is a whole new dimension to shooting. Some people really understand what works and why. Somehow, all my life, I have avoided a scope. I used one briefly as a young kid, but I had no idea what I was doing. I still don't!!

My only concern is the 50mm objective. I don't know how it will fit with the rifle, but it sure is worth a try. It will need to be raised approx. 9mm over my 32mm scope. I guess I will use taller mounts. This has a side benefit of better clearance for the bolt. I think?

Savage, thank you too for the suggestion of the mounts. I will give them a look. I do really appreciate everyone's help.

Thank you everyone, for helping me move forward. I am anxious to see what this rifle can do. If the included target ( CZ includes their test target with each firearm, well at least the ones that I have bought) is any indication of what I will acheive, I will be happy.

Thank you again for all the help!!!!

Rich
Old 02-18-2017, 08:05 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
See an eye doc about getting your vision issues addressed. Cataracts can be fixed but macular degeneration effects can only be slowed down, not fixed. Loss of vision acuity is nothing to ignore. my 2
Old 02-18-2017, 10:15 AM
ivan

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightrich View Post
Thank you all very much for your thoughtful responses. Ivan, that is a terrific value that you were kind enough to apply a link to. I have become comfortable with Simmons since my last purchase. Yes, inexpensive, but it works for me.
If I am not mistaken, the suggested scope has the AO, which will adjust for parallax?
Sometimes, I read up, and think, wow, the scope world is a whole new dimension to shooting. Some people really understand what works and why. Somehow, all my life, I have avoided a scope. I used one briefly as a young kid, but I had no idea what I was doing. I still don't!!
Yes, it has AO.

Quote:
My only concern is the 50mm objective. I don't know how it will fit with the rifle, but it sure is worth a try. It will need to be raised approx. 9mm over my 32mm scope. I guess I will use taller mounts. This has a side benefit of better clearance for the bolt. I think?
That is the downside of the WTC - it is a BIG scope. But it works so well for me I don't complain. You will need extra high rights or perhaps just tall rings depending on what kind of mounts you are using.

If you are curious, this is what dum-dum suckers (3/4" diameter) look like at 50 yards with it set on 20x

Old 02-18-2017, 01:15 PM
lone gunman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
the WTC scope is a great scope for the money but be aware that over 14x the eye relief starts to suck. and your head has to be just right because the eye box gets pretty small at 20x. i used this scope for a couple years on my varmint AR but gave it to a buddy last week for one of his 22 rifles.

here is a few pics so you can see how big it is:

Old 02-18-2017, 04:56 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
You might take a look at the Weaver V16s, excellent scopes and not likely to disappoint as mant cheap scopes will. They are large, but so are all scopes of similiar magnification and features.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:52 PM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lone gunman View Post
the WTC scope is a great scope for the money but be aware that over 14x the eye relief starts to suck. and your head has to be just right because the eye box gets pretty small at 20x.
Yeah but he says his budget is $250. I'm not sure you can avoid those drawbacks unless you want to spend big bucks.

So the Q is, what did you replace the WTC with?

Last edited by SavagePlinker; 02-18-2017 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:04 PM
ivan

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavagePlinker View Post
Yeah but he says his budget is $250. I'm not sure you can avoid those drawbacks unless you want to spend big bucks.

So the Q is, what'd you replace the WTC with?
At 250? The Mueller 8-32x44 w/ target dot. In fact, I'm saving my couch change for one.

FWIW at the 350ish price point I'd be looking at the Weaver T series
Old 02-18-2017, 09:26 PM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan View Post
At 250? The Mueller 8-32x44 w/ target dot. In fact, I'm saving my couch change for one.

FWIW at the 350ish price point I'd be looking at the Weaver T series
As long as it was made in El Paso I'm with you.

I just got a NIB T16, if you can believe that. However, I'm not sure I'd recommend a Big Fixed to a newcomer.

At $350 I'd recommend looking at what Athlon has to offer.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:35 PM
lone gunman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavagePlinker View Post

So the Q is, what did you replace the WTC with?
it got replaced with a Mueller 8-32x44 scope that got replaced by a leupold VX3 6.5-20x50 30mm scope. and that got replaced by a Japanese built BSA 8-32x44 with better glass and tracking than the Mueller. i got the BSA cheap new in box off eBay for $90.00 and the Mueller got sold on eBay for $175.00 and the leupold got put on a savage 11VT 308 win

Last edited by lone gunman; 02-20-2017 at 06:14 PM. Reason: updated photo