FINALLY - a REAL fix for my MII feeding problems. - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-17-2017, 01:24 PM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
FINALLY - a REAL fix for my MII feeding problems.

Straightening my catch/release on my MII Savage Classic helped, and I thought monkeying with the mag feed lips helped, but I still had frequent difficulty in getting rounds to chamber. Worse, I was getting shaved spots where the bullet meets the case mouth. Decided to figure out what the problem was and I got it! Halli-dam-looya!!

Stock magazines now work flawlessly, every time. I'm not going to unbend my c/r but I doubt there was anything wrong with it, either. The problem was that the extractor angle-tip was so sharp of a point and long that it would not let the rounds "jump" all the way into proper position on the bolt face. The rounds were therefore always at a slight angle when entering the chamber, so that they would stick and/or shave the bullet.

I took the blued, right-side extractor out and started honing on that point with a medium Arkansas stone from my 1911-trigger-job kit. I would take 2 or 3 thousandths off, then re-install and try feeding rounds. It took 4 or 5 round trips, but that's what you want -- go slow so you take off only enough to permit the rounds to jump all the way into the pocket on the bolt face. Only then are the rounds aligned perfectly with the chamber/bore. You want to keep the point, just not as sharp a point and not as long as the factory provided.

Now every magazine I have works perfectly, including some I had never altered in any way. No bullets get shaved going into the chamber! I can now close my bolt very s-l-o-w-l-y and the rounds still feed perfectly! In fact, I realize that is the proper way to close -- push at a leisurely pace until you hear the round JUMP (they go "CLICK") into the bolt-face pocket, then go ahead and chamber your perfectly aligned round.

And, to answer your obvious Q -- Yes, both live rounds and fired cases still extract perfectly.

I have loved this gun but hated that I had to "single shot" it if I didn't want feed problems. Now it is the sweetist little feeder off 10-round mags you ever saw, first round to 10th!

Couldn't wait to share! And, of course, proceed at your own risk. If you want to be super cautious buy a couple of spare right-side extractors so if my remedy does not work on your gun you can just toss the modified one and put a factory back in.

But for me it was simple, free and now I have the best-feeding .22 on the range! I LOVE IT!

Last edited by SavagePlinker; 02-17-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:54 PM
bgavin
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks!

It will be interesting to note if this is indeed "the" fix for the magazine issues.
That might put the MK-II back in the running once again.

However... I have a personal feeling the MK-II's days are limited... it appears (to me) that Savage is trying hard to replace the MK-II with the cheaper B-series.

I've tried to pin Savage down on this, and they simply refuse to answer either way.

Seeing how Ruger discontinued the 77/22 line, I won't be surprised to see Savage discontinue the MK-II. It's discount price point is similar to the CZ, which is stiff competition.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:42 PM
chanman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgavin View Post
Thanks!

It will be interesting to note if this is indeed "the" fix for the magazine issues.
That might put the MK-II back in the running once again.

However... I have a personal feeling the MK-II's days are limited... it appears (to me) that Savage is trying hard to replace the MK-II with the cheaper B-series.

I've tried to pin Savage down on this, and they simply refuse to answer either way.

Seeing how Ruger discontinued the 77/22 line, I won't be surprised to see Savage discontinue the MK-II. It's discount price point is similar to the CZ, which is stiff competition.
That's my worry too. The Lakefield plant may be the last large scale civilian gun manufacturing taking place in Canada.

I asked one of my LGS about why so many of the Canadian-made guns (Rascal, Mark II/93, Model 64) have been out of stock, but they claimed it was due to the recent rebranding. It doesn't take that much work to print and slap new stickers on.

Some aspects of the A and B-series, like how the barrels look more like attempts to reuse the knowledge and tooling of their centerfire rifles.

A weak Canadian dollar might keep Lakefield around a little longer, but I suspect it's more a question of when than if Savage consolidates their rimfire and centerfire production under one roof.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:20 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I hope the MK2 doesn't go away. I had a great FVT that I had to sell years ago for bills. It was a great rifle. You are right, with CZ and the new Ruger American .22, Savage has fallen out of the spotlight. They are trying to regain ground with the A22, but the MK2 is still sinking sadly. It seems that the accutrigger helped propel them but now everybody has one form or another of the idea.
Old Yesterday, 11:01 AM
bgavin
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would have bought a new BTVS in a heart beat... but for the feeding problems.
I just don't want that kind of grief.

After 42 years in the computer business, I'm fed up with stuff that doesn't work right.
Old Yesterday, 11:40 AM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm surprised that a company as old and big as Savage would put out rifles with feed problems. Now that I know how easy it was to remedy mine I'm stunned.

My Savage Classic is a beautiful rifle in many ways -- great Monte Carlo walnut stock, 24" barrel, great A-trigger, but none of that really matters if it won't feed rounds off any of 10 new magazines without jamming and/or shaving the back end of the bullets.
Old Yesterday, 01:24 PM
Zeegler

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is this a very common problem? I have a brand new MkII BTVSS and at the range yesterday I had one round out of 200 that didn't feed properly. It was the last round in a 10 round magazine, and it just sorta jammed on its way into the chamber. I pulled the mag out, and pushed the round back in to the mag and tried again. Same thing. I finally got it to load but had to shove the bolt to get it in. I figured it might be the 10 round magazine that caused it.
Old Yesterday, 07:38 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
I found the best fix for Savages, get rid of them!
Old Yesterday, 09:19 PM
doublechaz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Can you post a pic showing exactly where you are removing metal? I'd like to examine what you are talking about and see if I want to do it on mine.

Sounds like a great idea and might explain why Savage has been putting these out. If they cheaped out on how often they replace the punch dies for these parts compared to when they designed it then some people would have lots of trouble and others wouldn't depending on how sharp the die was when theirs was built.