Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

What is your favorite tree squirel gun?

8K views 63 replies 45 participants last post by  lovesmausers 
#1 ·
I'm sure lots of you have several but what is your go to number one favorite squirel gun and caliber?

#3 ·
My go-to squirrel gun is a Marlin Model 39 rifle with a Williams "FoolProof" receiver sight. I also like to snipe at them with my Remington Model 504 rifle with a Nikon "ProStaff" 4x powered scope.

But I have to ask you: What's the difference between a "tree squirrel" and a regular squirrel?

#19 ·
:yeahthat::yeahthat:

I don't have a sling on my Browning SA, but it is my favorite tree squirrel or bunny rabbit gun. I have a Nikon .22 Rimfire 4X mounted on it with a Weaver scope mount. I grew up 65 years ago shooting a Remingtion Mdl 24 made in 1925. I carried that little rife everywhere and it rode in the tractor seat with me dragging soybeans to get rid of those pesky Jack rabbits that would lay in the shade of a milkweed and scratch out a yard long strip of soybeans to stay in the shade.

I got my Browning ATD in 1960. My Mdl 24 had been retired many years before and a Win, Mdl 62 had been my favorite bunny gun and anything else until it was stolen. I have lots of bolt action .22s that I carry out from time to time, and even a Rossi clone Win. 62. No scope on it, and I can't use the iron sights for sorry owl dudu.

VH :eek:man:

#18 ·
I don't get to hunt squirrels with a rifle very often, but this Remington 5-teen is my go to whenever I get the chance. Barrel relined and chambered in 17HM2 by tfrank. Action pieced together from various 5-teen spare parts. Sits in a Boyds EvoSS stock with a Leupold 2-7x rimfire scope on top.

#25 ·
At this time it is a Mossberg 340b with a period Bushnell Banner scope. I passed along my last squirrel assassin to my son this year, a Remington 550 with the barrel cut down to 21 inches and crowned with an old Japanese 4X scope sitting on it. Love the old ones.

#26 ·
Whatever I'm carrying at the time.
This laser accurate Cooper is a joy to shoot, but I've taken far more with a 14" T/C Contender with open sights. I try to hunt with whatever fits the conditions.

#30 ·
I hafta smile every time I post a pic of my Anschutz 1418. Waited a looong time to acquire this one. It's worth every penny of the cost & every moment of the wait. Probably haven't killed all that many squirrels with it but that's my fault, not the rifle! I used it for several years with a Burris Compact scope, & then a Simmons 22Mag, but the Nikon EFR on it now is my favorite.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.