10/22 Takedown with bull barrel or not? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:59 PM
Daagak

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
10/22 Takedown with bull barrel or not?

Need help deciding... should i get the regular or the bull barrel?
It would cost me $250 extra to get the bull barrel. I dont mind the extra weight. To change it in the future would be a pain in the *** for me, due to where I live.
I like the accuracy and all the power, but dont know how much it really improves...
Thanks!
Old 02-14-2017, 08:24 PM
LukeSkywarner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am far from an expert on any of this, but I've done a LOT of reading on this forum and elsewhere, and here's what I've found:
  • If you're looking for a super accurate rifle, you're probably better off not getting a takedown. Not to say that you can't get impressive results with a takedown, but it seems to be a bit hit or miss (pardon the pun).
  • Ruger's bull barrels have an excellent reputation.
  • when it comes to accessories such as barrels or anything else, the knee-jerk reaction on this forum is KIDD, so if you are looking to pick your own barrel that's where everyone says to go--but they don't sell a bull barrel for a takedown (See item 1).
  • If you think you're only going to spend an extra $250 you're crazy. You'll think that's all you're going to spend, but then you'll want a good scope, and rings that work well with a takedown, and a bag to put it all in because it won't fit in the bag it came with now that you've got the scope, and you'll DEFINITELY want to upgrade the trigger because everyone says so (and they're right), and and and...
Just a few things to keep in mind. I'm sure other people who have a more experience will chime in. I purchased the Target Takedown model which came with the Ruger bull barrel and I love it, but I don't have enough experience with it yet to say how accurate it is.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:59 PM
Daagak

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeSkywarner View Post
I am far from an expert on any of this, but I've done a LOT of reading on this forum and elsewhere, and here's what I've found:
  • If you're looking for a super accurate rifle, you're probably better off not getting a takedown. Not to say that you can't get impressive results with a takedown, but it seems to be a bit hit or miss (pardon the pun).
  • Ruger's bull barrels have an excellent reputation.
  • when it comes to accessories such as barrels or anything else, the knee-jerk reaction on this forum is KIDD, so if you are looking to pick your own barrel that's where everyone says to go--but they don't sell a bull barrel for a takedown (See item 1).
  • If you think you're only going to spend an extra $250 you're crazy. You'll think that's all you're going to spend, but then you'll want a good scope, and rings that work well with a takedown, and a bag to put it all in because it won't fit in the bag it came with now that you've got the scope, and you'll DEFINITELY want to upgrade the trigger because everyone says so (and they're right), and and and...
Just a few things to keep in mind. I'm sure other people who have a more experience will chime in. I purchased the Target Takedown model which came with the Ruger bull barrel and I love it, but I don't have enough experience with it yet to say how accurate it is.
I was under the impression that the takedown vs the non takedown was equally accurate?
Yeah i know i will most likely spend more than 250, but not right now in the initial purchase haha but getting the barrel afterwards might prove to be a huge challege, so could just do it now haha

Old 02-15-2017, 09:42 AM
DGF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For my takedown I had to spend the big bucks and buy the Volquartsen front end because it had the cantilever scope mount. I preferred to buy the forearm barrel combo.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:42 PM
LukeSkywarner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daagak View Post
I was under the impression that the takedown vs the non takedown was equally accurate?
See here for more info: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=730049
Old 02-17-2017, 12:06 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought 3 10/22 TD's all with tapered barrels. I've already replaced 2 of them with bull barrels and I am in the process of doing the 3rd. Moral of my story, I would have been better off buying the bull barreled TD in the first place, had it been an option at the time. As far as accuracy, I hear a lot of people say the TD is not accurate. I have found all of mine to be just as accurate as my non TD's out of the box, with the exception of my VLEH which has the Ruger target barrel already. If you don't spend the $ now to get the BB it will end up costing you more down the road. I'm guessing since you already have the idea that you want a BB, you won't be happy until you have one.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:38 AM
LukeSkywarner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
I I have found all of mine to be just as accurate as my non TD's out of the box, with the exception of my VLEH which has the Ruger target barrel already.
Can you expand on this? What was good or bad about the VLEH barrel?
Old 02-17-2017, 11:04 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The VLEH otherwise known as the Target Tactical from Ruger comes with their 16 1/2" .920 target barrel. I was just saying that it is a very accurate oem barrel. Meaning that it shoots better than the standard factory taper barrels.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:00 PM
r_olsen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you need a Takedown, buy the one with bull barrel. If you're used to bigger calibers, you wont mind the extra weight, it's stabilizing the rifle in my opinion. If you don't need a TD, buy the VLEH. I bought the TD Target and now you can call me "Cpt Hindsight". Just know that if you buy a takedown, there could be some additional cost to get it to shoot the way you want if you're an accuracy junkie like some of us.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:04 PM
r_olsen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
And the only negative I've found on bull barrels is that you should't shoot CCI Stingers and other ammo like it with long casings because of the short chamber length in these barrels. But you don't need Stingers when there's ammo like Mini-Mags and Velocitors.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:41 PM
Twospot
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_olsen View Post
If you need a Takedown, buy the one with bull barrel. If you're used to bigger calibers, you wont mind the extra weight, it's stabilizing the rifle in my opinion. If you don't need a TD, buy the VLEH. I bought the TD Target and now you can call me "Cpt Hindsight". Just know that if you buy a takedown, there could be some additional cost to get it to shoot the way you want if you're an accuracy junkie like some of us.
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I am new and looking to buy a 10/22 takedown. On the ruger site I do not see anything referring to a bull barrel. I see a fluted barrel or standard. Is fluted the same as bull? again I apologize for the rudimentary question.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:39 PM
r_olsen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You are correct, the fluted barrel is the bull barrel. It's .920" and is a bit heavier than the regular one. There's the Lite version also, but I'm not familiar with it.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:09 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
They also offer a non-fluted threaded .920 target TD.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:21 PM
LukeSkywarner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
From what I can tell, the Lite version isn't a bull barrel but a regular barrel with a shroud.

"From the 3.5" mark forward, the barrel is milled down to a pencil thin profile and fitted with a ventilated aluminum sleeve that maintains the .920" diameter." https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...wn-lite-rifle/
Old 02-17-2017, 07:32 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That is correct also. It is a shrouded barrel on the TD lite. The target TD has a true bull barrel.