60's Fingergroove stock auction - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-16-2017, 03:32 PM
tinman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
60's Fingergroove stock auction

Any one else watching the factory fingergroove stock on ebay?
3 days left and it is up to $178.50. Nice looking, but refinished. Any guesses as to how high it will go?
Looks like it will easily top $200 before it is over.
It is not mine, nor do I know the owner. I am interested in these VINTAGE prices though.

Wouldn't it be cool if we could have a real vintage section here, like Pre-Prefix or Pre-Bicentennial? I guess it would only attract Old Ruger 10/22 collectors though.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:35 PM
Tsb3
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Yes it is being watched. Go to the 10/22 stock section and check the last couple pages of the eBay stock thread.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:49 PM
LDThornton

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman View Post
Any one else watching the factory fingergroove stock on ebay?
3 days left and it is up to $178.50. Nice looking, but refinished. Any guesses as to how high it will go?
Looks like it will easily top $200 before it is over.
It is not mine, nor do I know the owner. I am interested in these VINTAGE prices though.

Wouldn't it be cool if we could have a real vintage section here, like Pre-Prefix or Pre-Bicentennial? I guess it would only attract Old Ruger 10/22 collectors though.
That would interest me a lot since the majority of mine were made before 1976. Six out of seven anyway.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:30 AM
tinman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsb3 View Post
Yes it is being watched. Go to the 10/22 stock section and check the last couple pages of the eBay stock thread.
Well, I never knew that thread existed.Calling "DIBS" on an item up for public auction, must cause some hurt feelings. Not everyone in the world is a member at RFC. The only way to tell who wants it the most, is to pony up the cash.

I wish I could have called dibs years ago, when I bought my Checkered FG Sporter at auction. Man I coulda saved some money!
Old 02-17-2017, 09:11 AM
tinman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDThornton View Post
That would interest me a lot since the majority of mine were made before 1976. Six out of seven anyway.
We are a dying breed. Years ago the subject was brought up, and poo pooed by the admins. There have been 3 or 4 sections added since then, but we make do with Factory Stock. I my opinion that just covers too much ground.
If we knew the actual usage numbers of the others and sub it for the least used, we could see how a VINTAGE section would hold up. And....it would put all the crotchity old sob's, in the same place.
Pre Bi-Centennial would be a great place to start, the other 40 years of production, don't do much for me.
Maybe someday, all the 10/22 addicts, will want to learn where this great American institution originated.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:40 PM
LDThornton

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
We are a dying breed. Years ago the subject was brought up, and poo pooed by the admins. There have been 3 or 4 sections added since then, but we make do with Factory Stock. I my opinion that just covers too much ground.
If we knew the actual usage numbers of the others and sub it for the least used, we could see how a VINTAGE section would hold up. And....it would put all the crotchity old sob's, in the same place.
Pre Bi-Centennial would be a great place to start, the other 40 years of production, don't do much for me.
Maybe someday, all the 10/22 addicts, will want to learn where this great American institution originated.
A lot of 10/22 owners have never heard of a finger groove sporter and many owners think 10/22's all have birch stocks. I've seen a lot of stocks for sale online advertised as sporter stocks but were birch stocks. Big difference between a WalMart "Exclusive" rifle with a birch stock and a genuine "Sporter" (DSP) with walnut stock. I have 7 10/22's and none of them have barrel bands and I'm sure many owners have never seen a 10/22 without a barrel band. Funny when you think about it.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:50 PM
billysue
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1cvfr6wo.jpg

This is one I bought and refinished a couple years ago. They sure are pretty. The one on e-bay will top $250 is my bet.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:31 PM
Tsb3

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
[QUOTE=tinman;8183833]Well, I never knew that thread existed.Calling "DIBS" on an item up for public auction, must cause some hurt feelings. Not everyone in the world is a member at RFC. The only way to tell who wants it the most, is to pony up the cash.[/QUOTE

I agree with you on the "DIBS". There's more people bidding on e-bay then just RFC members.
I also understand the noble thought behind the idea of "DIBS".
Old 02-17-2017, 11:43 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
The dibs thing surprised me as well. You have to go to the first post of that thread and it's spelled out. There's a group of RFC guys who collect stocks and they try not to step on each other bidding on Ebay. It works for them but doesn't account for the rest of the world who might bid.

If you didn't notice, one of those guys sniffed out a chip on the butt end of that stock, it's in the question/answer part of the auction page. $200 is too much for a damaged Ruger stock IMO.

Last edited by azjeff; 02-17-2017 at 11:46 PM. Reason: addition
Old 02-18-2017, 09:11 AM
ruger66

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Vintage section would be good. Most people at the factory know little about the history of one of their best seller.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:45 AM
Manford Trens

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger66 View Post
Vintage section would be good. Most people at the factory know little about the history of one of their best seller.
I agree. I would love to hear more history, insights, and quirky stories about vintage 10/22s!
Old 02-20-2017, 10:28 AM
tinman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I can recommend 1 long out of print book, for anyone looking to learn about the early 10/22s, "The Ruger 10/22" by Bill Workman. Just about every serious Ruger collector has a copy or two. It may not be only book with vintage 10/22 information, hell, there might be a web site by now. I'm sure the RCA's Journal and the Red Eagle News have published excellent material in the past.
Maybe other members can recommend vintage information sources. I'm not sure young people read books anymore.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:41 AM
tinman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Auction for that refinished w/tiny chip DSP stock ended at a total of $305.45 w/shipping!

What would a nice example of the complete Fingergroove Sporter bring? Any sold at auction lately?
Old 02-20-2017, 10:52 AM
Slappys 22

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Auction for that refinished w/tiny chip DSP stock ended at a total of $305.45 w/shipping!

What would a nice example of the complete Fingergroove Sporter bring? Any sold at auction lately?
Not sure what they normally bring but that auction makes me feel good about the 1970 finger groove I just bought this weekend.
Stock has a little wear but pretty darn solid just needs a nice refinish.
Paid $300 for the whole rifle.
Slappy
Old 02-20-2017, 11:29 AM
tinman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm thinking you did good. The only one I ever sold, was for $400, about 5 years ago, and it was a cull.