"Rough" machining on the bottom of the RAR bolt? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:28 AM
Leatherstocking

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
"Rough" machining on the bottom of the RAR bolt?

Hi everyone:

This is my first post on RC.

I brought home a brand new RAR "Predator" (mod. 8334) the other night. I had my heart set on that particular model, and though all of the distributors seem to be out of them, I found one at Whittaker's and had it shipped to my FFL.

I haven't shot it yet, but I'm quite happy with it so far other than one thing:

The machining on the bottom of the bolt seems "rough" to me. When you operate the bolt, it's not a butter smooth feel, but seems to have a "zzzzzzzzzzzip" feel / sound to it when you operate the bolt and the surfaces slide over each other. Examining the bottom of the bolt, there is a very clear zigzag pattern running perpendicular to the direction of the bolt's travel. If you run a finger across it, you can feel the ridges. This is the entire machined surface on the bottom of the bolt.

Is this "normal" with a RAR, or something I should worry about?
Old 02-17-2017, 11:46 AM
the_mule
US Air Force Veteran Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Normal, it will smooth out over time & use. I suggest you cycle the bolt a bunch while watching you're favorite television program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2017, 12:40 PM
Gmww
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's what my daughters RAR bolt looks like at the bottom as well.

Old 02-17-2017, 03:24 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
My RAR compact bolt was very nicely machined, have seen others that were as well, some I have seen were very rough. It is possible they just ran the cutters too long instead of changing them out when dull.
Old Yesterday, 09:33 AM
Leatherstocking

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkd View Post
My RAR compact bolt was very nicely machined, have seen others that were as well, some I have seen were very rough. It is possible they just ran the cutters too long instead of changing them out when dull.
That's interesting.

I still haven't had a chance to get the rifle to the range. It doesn't strike me as something that's going to affect functioning, but it makes the bolt travel not as butter smooth as we all like bolt guns to be.

Either way, I am super excited to go shoot it. I've got a stock of Eley target ammo for it, and the other day I mounted a Leapers 4-16x AO scope to it. I've even got a can on the way, but that'll be in jail for another month or so at this rate.

This is the first "modern" (i.e. not a Mauser) bolt gun I've ever bought myself.
Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM
donie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the 77/22, and there were rough machined areas as well. Ruger metal can be very hard and tough, it may never smooth out on its own.
I used a small Hard Arkansas stone with oil, and smoothed the rough areas by sliding the stone along them. The stone removes very little material, it would be hard to cause any damage.
Upon doing that, the machine marks do not need to be removed, just that the stone slides smoothly.
It might be worth your time to read over what other have done to smooth up the various brands and rifle models.
I applied many tips on polishing and smoothing I found here. The results were worth the effort, my rough working rifle is now slick----with a little Aeroshell grease
Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a couple of Ruger semi-autos whose bolts had the zig-zag tooling marks. The rough surfaces were enough to cause ejection failures. I had to mill the tooling away and sand/polish the new surfaces. They're butter smooth and failure free now.

For a bolt or lever action gun, I wonder if filling the low areas of the tooling with some JB-Weld would clean up the action? I haven't read of anyone trying this, but it certainly would be easier than removing very hard steel.
Old Today, 06:52 AM
glennasher
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought a Predator from Whittaker's a couple of weeks ago. Mine shoots pretty good so far. I'm very happy with it, though my minor beef is different than yours. I wish the scope base was longer, as it limits where you can place your scope pretty badly, and that may, or may not, be the right distance for your eyes/scope combo.

I can make it work, but I may have to swap out the cheekpiece to get it "perfect" for me. Other than that, it's pretty nice for what it is, and it shooting right with my two CZs at the moment.
Old Today, 08:22 AM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennasher View Post
I bought a Predator from Whittaker's a couple of weeks ago. Mine shoots pretty good so far. I'm very happy with it, though my minor beef is different than yours. I wish the scope base was longer, as it limits where you can place your scope pretty badly, and that may, or may not, be the right distance for your eyes/scope combo.

I can make it work, but I may have to swap out the cheekpiece to get it "perfect" for me. Other than that, it's pretty nice for what it is, and it shooting right with my two CZs at the moment.
You could try weaver number 91 bases, they extend about 1/2 inch and are reversible.
Old Today, 08:24 AM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
I have a couple of Ruger semi-autos whose bolts had the zig-zag tooling marks. The rough surfaces were enough to cause ejection failures. I had to mill the tooling away and sand/polish the new surfaces. They're butter smooth and failure free now.

For a bolt or lever action gun, I wonder if filling the low areas of the tooling with some JB-Weld would clean up the action? I haven't read of anyone trying this, but it certainly would be easier than removing very hard steel.
JB would be a bad idea, in time it would break loose causing lots of problems.