Beretta U22 Neos w/ Silver Rail and some trigger work. - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:11 AM
DeoreDX

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Beretta U22 Neos w/ Silver Rail and some trigger work.

Long time lurker first time poster. I went pistol shopping the other day with the idea of coming home with a Buckmark or a Ruger MK/22-45. After handling them both and the S&W Victory I decided I liked the MKIII the best but really wanted to hold out for a MKIV. Saw the Neos marked down to $249 at Academy and handled it. With the exception of the most horrible safety location ever I liked the way the Neos felt more than the others and the price was right. I figured the Neos would give me something fun to tinker with while I wait for the locals to get some MKIVs in stock. The display unit had a lot of handling marks on the bluing on it so I asked for one that hadn't been handled. The first one he pulls out of the safe was a Silver/Black Neos. Not the black frame and rail with INOX barrel and slide. This one has the DLX grips in black/silver and a silver colored slide. I have seen several different colors before. Green. Blue. Pink. etc. But this was the first black/silver non-INOX version I had seen I had originally told the guy to put it back and look for a black one. I thought about it for a minute and changed my mind back to the silver rail. One reason for me to get the Neos was that I wanted to try a red dot sight on a pistol. A silver rail might hide optic mount marks better than the black. Although I didn't like the look of the silver rail I did like the silver DLX grips. So she came home with me with a box of Browning 22LR I had never seen before.

Got home threw some concrete anchors in the chamber and started dry firing. The trigger was as bad as everyone says it is. TONs of creep. Creep doesn't bother me as much as how incredibly gritty the trigger was and how heavy the trigger pull was. I don't have a trigger pull measuring gadget but I do have a fish scale. Using it as an impromptu trigger scale I was getting around 6.5lbs give or take a couple of oz.

I've read up on several threads here on trigger work. Lots of talk of using a Bic lighter flint spring to replace the sear spring not not a whole ton of detail. The boc spring was about 2x the length of the original spring. I knew it had to be cut down some but I didn't know how much. Using a digital scale I measured the spring pressure of the original spring when fully compressed in the two piece housing. This wasn't a super precise measurement but it gave me a number to start with. Original spring was around ~1200g to fully compress it. I cut the bic lighter spring to 3/4" long. Fully compressed in the housing it was reading around 700-750g to compress it. I didn't want to go too light and risk the sear not catching and making a Class 3 weapon so I started with this as my baseline for the bic lighter spring. Because the spring is longer you have to hold it compressed while putting everything back together. Test squeezes of the trigger gave instant feedback that the trigger pull was obviously lighter. But there was still a ton of grittyness in the trigger pull even without the striker installed.

Just compressing the two pieces that hold the spring I could feel a ton of grittyness. I wrapped some 1000 grit sandpaper around a qtip stick and used it to smooth out the inside of the larger housing. I then worked the 1000 grit around the smaller piece to smooth out the beveled top section. A little more with in the hole in the receiver to smooth out the sharp top edge. Followed this up with some 2000 grit to polish everything up. I put a light coat of grease on the small part and the spring and reassembled everything back together.

I used a hard Arkansas stone to polish the edge where the sear engaged. There is a big tooling mark in the middle of the ledge on mine. I didn't remove enough material to get the tooling mark all the way out just ran it over it enough to polish the surface and put everything back together with a little bit of CLP for lube.

Trigger pull is now down to about 4.25-4.5lbs, much more acceptable. All of the grittyness of the trigger pull is gone. There is still a ton of creep and I haven't decided if I want to start adding material to the striker yet. I would prefer to have a working safety on my pistol as I might keep this one on a thigh holster when tooling around in the woods.

She's a heck of a shooter even with the extreme amount of trigger creep. 7 yards shot with my off hand elbow supported on a bench. I threw every crappy old 22LR I had in my closet and some good stuff as well. Digested everything without a single FTF or FTE. About 200 rounds of Winchester white box. A box of 20 year old Thunderbolt. Two magazines of Golden bullets. Two mags of Federal automatch. Two mags of 40gr Winchester Super X. 4-5 mags of Winchester M22. 38gr Federal AE.

I had bought my old man a crossbow for his birthday. It was sitting in my office upstairs so I stole the red dot sight out of it to give it a try. I didn't bother zeroing it I just threw it on and shot a 10 shot group. Even backed up to 10 yards the group size shrank compared to the irons. The Xbow sight POI will shift after a couple of magazines but this was enough that I am convinced I definitely want to put a RDS on it. Ordered a Tru-Glo Tru Tec that is the rebranded Holosun with the 50k battery life for $109 shipped from Jet.com. It should be here Monday.

Last edited by DeoreDX; 02-17-2017 at 08:20 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:35 AM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Wink nice neos

I have never seen that color combination before either, I would have picked it as you did. something different, variety IS the spice of life ! I think that combo looks sharp. the NEOS at that price is an excellent buy.i added those grips to mine also. there is a fiber optic front sight that is fantastic, if you decide to go iron sights.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:26 PM
Pipe_Smoker
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Congrats! That's a good looking Neos.

For ammo, I've come to love Aguila Pistol Match. Moderate price, and good accuracy. At 925 FPS MV, it's at the low end of std vel. Easy on the pistol, and leaves the breech very clean, thanks to the low chamber pressure. It cycles perfectly in my Beretta 87 Target.

Old 02-19-2017, 01:50 PM
DeoreDX

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipe_Smoker View Post
Congrats! That's a good looking Neos.

For ammo, I've come to love Aguila Pistol Match. Moderate price, and good accuracy. At 925 FPS MV, it's at the low end of std vel. Easy on the pistol, and leaves the breech very clean, thanks to the low chamber pressure. It cycles perfectly in my Beretta 87 Target.
Most of my 22lr ammo supply is all high velocity bulk stuff. Picked up some Aguila Super extra standard velocity, Subsonic solid point, and Federal premium target to try out.