Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:09 AM
rfd
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

i've been interested in the 722 varmint, too (sans scope and bipod, i can do better for both). the issue with the firing pin is of concern, for sure. the fore stock "bedding" is a moot point as i'd free float the barrel, which is what i'd recommend over bedding and far easier/quicker to accomplish with excellent results. i might still pick up a 722v ... gotta see/hear more about the bolt issue.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:23 AM
howl
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How about some pictures of the action while out of the stock? Thanks in advance!
Old 02-13-2017, 12:42 PM
Cryptoman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Gen 2?

I see there is a "Gen 2 Model 722 Compact" listed on Bud's now (https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...s_id/719014307). It has a 16.25" barrel with what appears to be a longer sight radius than the Classic with the 20" barrel. I wonder what if any action differences there are with the other 722 models as originally introduced. I might give them a call to inquire.

Edit: I spoke with KSA this afternoon. Nice folks. I was told that there are two 722 compact models, 20410 and 20411. One has a checkered stock while the other doesn't. I believe he said the checkered version was 20410, which would make the picture on Bud's incorrect. Aside from barrel length, the other differences from the full-size models are a plain front sight (rather than day-glow) and only 5 coats of finish rather than 9. Wood underneath is the same.

I also asked about receiver (peep) sights, but the gentleman said that he didn't know of a drop-in solution. Is there someone with a 722 who could measure the receiver diameter? Thanks.

Last edited by Cryptoman; 02-13-2017 at 03:36 PM.

Old 02-13-2017, 03:24 PM
LeonardS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptoman View Post
I see there is a "Gen 2 Model 722 Compact" listed on Bud's now (https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...s_id/719014307). It has a 16.25" barrel with what appears to be a longer sight radius than the Classic with the 20" barrel. I wonder what if any action differences there are with the other 722 models as originally introduced. I might give them a call to inquire.
It's only a 12 3/8" LOP, so I'm guessing they set it up as a youth rifle.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:34 AM
R4MMER
RFC Sponsor
US Army

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
LeonardS, you are correct. The "Crickett Compact 722" is designed with 12 3/8" LOP and a 16.25" barrel. We felt that we missed a step going from the Crickett to the full size 722. This would be designed for the shooter that has outgrown the crickett but not yet big enough for a full size. Also for smaller framed shooters (like myself).

Personally I really like the Compact but I am one of those smaller frame persons and I like a light rifle to carry around the woods all day.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:39 AM
LeonardS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
R4MMER, are you still working on 722's in 22wmr and 17hmr? When I called last August, they said I would see them by Christmas.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:59 PM
a-super

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
new guy om the block

Ok guys,im new here and need some advice. I am very interested in the new keystone 722. I have read your concerns and results but before I make the investment I would like to know more about the company the warranty that they offer with the rifles. I am understanding they have been in business for 20 plus years now and you all have had good luck with the service after the sale that they have. I would like some opinions on the product they offer from you all if you would be kind enough to give a minute or so of your time. and is there some one at the company I can talk to that will take the time and answer any questions I might have. I have dealt with other rifle manufacturers before and (if) you are able to talk to someone it is short and to the point.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:30 PM
LeonardS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by a-super View Post
Ok guys,im new here and need some advice. I am very interested in the new keystone 722. I have read your concerns and results but before I make the investment I would like to know more about the company the warranty that they offer with the rifles. I am understanding they have been in business for 20 plus years now and you all have had good luck with the service after the sale that they have. I would like some opinions on the product they offer from you all if you would be kind enough to give a minute or so of your time. and is there some one at the company I can talk to that will take the time and answer any questions I might have. I have dealt with other rifle manufacturers before and (if) you are able to talk to someone it is short and to the point.
3 posts up is the Keystone Rep on this site. Send him a PM or email and see if he can help you. Then ask about the .17hmr and .22wmr��
Old 02-17-2017, 09:38 AM
a-super

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
top notch customer service

Ok, I got to talk to the warranty guy there yesterday, He was out of the office but they gave me his cell phone # Very helpfull very nice people. I am going to make the purchase this weekend, still undecided on a model>
Old 03-12-2017, 04:23 PM
eagle1899

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Got to play with one of these. I like every thing about it other than the trigger....

To put it blunt, it is horrible. Stacking creep that goes on for miles.....

It can be adjusted for weight and take up but once getting it to an acceptable adjustment, the safety will no longer work.

In interest of learning, I disassembled the trigger to see what makes it work.

I can see why the safety stops working as the trigger and "sear" enter into the area the safety plunger occupies as the adjustment is made. Also the adjustment changes to engagement interface between the "sear" and the bolt.

I have ideas on how I am going to correct the issues but I hope a redesign can be initiated at the factory level.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:15 PM
ratkillin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New member, just ordered a 722 Sporter

Hello brothers; new member here. Thanks to all who have posted such good info up to this point. It's helped me decide to order a 722 Sporter yesterday from Brownells. $270 minus a $25 gift card I had from ordering my (first and only) AR from them plus the St. Pat's offer of no shipping and $30 off of $300 (had to add a couple trinkets I needed anyway), so I'm looking at it like a $215 bargain.

Can't wait to get this rifle in my hands, shoot it, and report back.

I'm getting into shooting after growing up with guns and then going a looong time without more than a pistol or two around the house. I've had a Marlin 795 for a year or so but recently decided I "need" a bolt-action with which to learn The Way of The Rifleman and shoot suppressed when the HP act passes (it will, right?). This led me to look the usual suspect threaded-barrel offerings out there which limited most options to heavier and/or synthetic stock offerings. Having the particular tastes that I have and wanting the mythical one-does-it-all rifle, I wanted it to also be lightweight to carry squirrel hunting and more or less traditional-looking with a great trigger and a walnut stock. Made in USA was preferred but not a requirement, as the Czech Republic has never done anything to me. I'm a right-handed but left-eye dominant lefty shooter, so that made it even easier .

And so, I've been driving myself nuts for the last month or so trying to find this gem. And I don't think it exists, but the 722 Sporter may be close enough. Other than no threaded barrel, all boxes are ticked. I even LIKE the fact that it doesn't have checkering. Seems to be a beautiful thing made with some love as opposed to so much of what's out there. Now - my shotgun is a Benelli synthetic and was bought as a tool, so while not all my guns have to get me all emotional, I want to write poetry about my first bolt-action.

FWIW, I got close to picking up the CZ synthetic threaded American or the 455 Scout. Really like both but kept getting hung up on the price of the Scout not including a real magazine and the fact I'd probably want another stock, and didn't want to compromise on the American's synthetic stock either. In short, going either route and adding a mag and/or stock to get me where I wanted would have put me at $500 or more, and I got kids to feed.

Manifesto nearly over for now; thanks for bearing with me. This is kind of a way to document my thoughts for myself, but hopefully it could help someone else sort their thoughts as well. It'll be interesting to come back in a year and see if I really wanted what I thought I wanted, or if I'm trying to trade the Sporter for a bazooka.

I'll leave with a few questions. Thanks in advance and look forward to hearing from you.

1. For mounting a scope, do I need the Keystone picatinny rail or are there Weaver, etc. scope bases that work? Or if either works, is the rail the clear winner for a 40mm scope (Hawke Vantage 3-9x)?
2. Know of a good, cheap, ighweight, made-in-USA sling? Forgot to mention that I will be adding swivel studs.
3. Is there a go-to suppressor adapter I should look at, or should I plan to get the barrel threaded?
4. I'd like to get maybe 2 extra mags: where to order? (read: cheapest including S/H). Brownells didn't list 'em.

Best,
ratkillin
Old 03-20-2017, 08:12 AM
DSGrouse

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Welcome,

Keystone has given me excellent service. I would get the piccatiny rail from the, Further my model came with rings, scope, and bipod. Maybe see if you can just buy that package.

Mine works very well. As far as a sling, I would get one of the 1903a3/M1 Garand leather slings. Any surplus place will have it. It will give you a brace for supporting the rifle while shooting off hand.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:33 PM
ratkillin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My Sporter arrived today. Didn't get a chance to shoot it. Initial thoughts in no particular order:
- Overall great fit and finish.
- Packaging was modest but effective. Arrived in great condition.
- Includes what looks like a good detailed manual but I haven't really read it.
- Didn't include a lock, earplugs, or other papers other than the manual. Refreshingly minimilistic.
- Stock wood is not nearly as interesting as Keystone's photo. It's nice but not much figure or burl to speak of, with very little variation in color. Very brown and straight-grained. Would have loved some blonde tones. I realize that this is the nature of the wood lottery. I just didn't win this one.
- Bolt is smooth but I couldn't close it at first, until I noticed that you have to give it a little push forward past the point where you think you could close the bolt. No trouble at all once you realize this, just a little different. Maybe this makes for a tight chamber? Angle should work with any scope.
- Bluing is uniform and nice but not super deep/dark.
- Sights seem dandy for plinking. Front sight was loose. Will apply blue loctite to screw.
- Balance is pretty good, maybe a little stock-heavy. Forearm feels nice in hand. Points quickly and naturally.
- No scope mounted yet but comb height should be sufficient if not fine.
- Magazine loads easy and I think the spring clip design is fantastic. Work the bolt like you mean it or feed issues can result.
- There's some particulate crud in the barrel I need to clean out but the rifling looks good.
- Trigger is light but has a little travel before breaking.
- If it's a shooter, it will be a stone cold bargain. CZ-comparable workmanship for much less.

Last edited by ratkillin; 03-22-2017 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:51 AM
a-super

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
722 info

Ratkillin. Theres not much i can help you with in the sling area but i do know that keystone sells the extra mags and the rails. They are both the same price each at 23.95. The barrel you will need to get threaded, but as you already probably know that threading will probably compromise the accuracy of the 722 because the barrels are not stress releived. If you have any technical questions i would call keystone and talk to the repair tech/ warranty guy there. He will be able to answer anything you can throw at him.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:21 PM
ratkillin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks DSGrouse and a-super. Good recommendation on the sling, and will definitely discuss with Keystone before threading. I emailed Keystone and they replied quickly and courteously, confirming they would be glad to sell me the scope rail and mags.

Shot the Sporter today with the supplied sights, no scope, Federal 325 bulk pack. Despite me being a relative novice and the front sight glowing in the sun and being kinda big anyway, I got a few holes touching at 25 yards. It's probably more accurate than I am. Didn't attempt to dial the sights in. Will know more when I get a scope on it.

I did have a feed issue several times where the bolt would push the round out of the mag and it would tip up so that the bullet was above the bore and couldn't be pushed in. It seems the bolt doesn't like to be worked too easy or too hard, but I got the hang of it and it seemed to improve over my 45 minute trial run. I love how easy it is to fill the mag and not having to work a lever to pop it out.

Very pleased over all.