Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-14-2017, 11:09 AM
Buglemintoday
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Your favorite SR22 ammo

What is your favorite SR22 ammo? I plan on shooting mine this weekend and I can't wait!
Old 02-14-2017, 11:39 AM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine loves Mini-Mags. But will eat pretty much anything to hand.

"We have met the enemy, and he is us." - Pogo
Old 02-14-2017, 12:44 PM
Buglemintoday

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Mine loves Mini-Mags. But will eat pretty much anything to hand.

I love using the Mini Mags. Never had an issue. Seems the consensus on here is that the Stingers are no good...Glad I stockpiled them so that I can sell them off for other stuff.

Old 02-14-2017, 01:16 PM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree that mini-mags are excellent ammo but my SR22 isn't a bit ammo finicky at all. Federal bulk, golden bullets. Fiocci, you name it and it shoots it. I have had some misfires with a brick of Winchester expert but it's done the same thing with every gun I've shot it in. I've run them thru a second time and they still won't go. I'll eventually get them shot up though. What little 22 ammo I can find is too expensive to throw them away.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:35 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Same here. My SR22 eats everything I feed it, but it likes mini mags the best
Old 02-14-2017, 02:00 PM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
I agree that mini-mags are excellent ammo but my SR22 isn't a bit ammo finicky at all. Federal bulk, golden bullets. Fiocci, you name it and it shoots it. I have had some misfires with a brick of Winchester expert but it's done the same thing with every gun I've shot it in. I've run them thru a second time and they still won't go. I'll eventually get them shot up though. What little 22 ammo I can find is too expensive to throw them away.
Mine eats almost anything, but it is most accurate ( ) with Mini-Mags.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:25 PM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Mine eats almost anything, but it is most accurate ( ) with Mini-Mags.
Being completely honest I can't shoot mine well enough to tell which is the most accurate. I suppose I could do some testing off a rest and get a better idea but I haven't done that. In fact I took my 8 year old great grandaughter to the range with me several days ago and she outshot me with it and it was her very first time to shoot a real pistol.

I still do fairly well with full sized pistols but not with the little SR22. I owned a P22 before the Ruger and was just as bad with it.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:15 PM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
Being completely honest I can't shoot mine well enough to tell which is the most accurate. I suppose I could do some testing off a rest and get a better idea but I haven't done that. In fact I took my 8 year old great grandaughter to the range with me several days ago and she outshot me with it and it was her very first time to shoot a real pistol.

I still do fairly well with full sized pistols but not with the little SR22. I owned a P22 before the Ruger and was just as bad with it.
Women of any age tend to do that... At least the first time out

Old 02-14-2017, 08:38 PM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Aguila Super Extra 40 gr round nose does as well as Minimags in mine. Like Arrowhead, I do a lot better with heavier pistol.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:57 PM
donnieboy
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CCI Mini-Mags and SV in both my SR22 and Ruger MK4s. Reliability of ignition and uniform power factor are my key considerations. Will not even consider Federal, Winchester, Remington based on experience with the key factors mentioned.

Last edited by donnieboy; 02-14-2017 at 10:00 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:18 AM
Maddog2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine loves CCI SV LRs, but right behind it is the CCI mini mags.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:44 PM
bigd9247

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine likes the Federal Automatch bulk ammo, Blazer, pretty much any round nose bullet. I've had some feeding issues with the Winchester 555 hollow point bulk ammo. I polished the feed ramp the other week and haven't had a chance to try it since then.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:10 AM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I should know more about which ammo is more accurate in my SR22 this evening. All the various weatherguessers have promised we are finally going to have a nice day today and I'm off to to the range to kill some paper as soon as it warms up a little more. It is mainly to get my new Mk III 22/45 lite with it's new red dot sighted in but the SR22 and also the new Walther PPK/S 22 will go along to check the sights from a rest and see which cheap, not that any of it is really cheap anymore, ammo each prefers. Both are just fun plinkers so they will get plinking ammo but I might include some better grade ammo just to see what's what.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:17 PM
Buglemintoday

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Let us know what you find Arrowhead!

Are you in the Artesia/Carlsbad area? I might be out there soon...I have quite the arrowhead collection for less than a years worth of surface hunting
Old 02-17-2017, 07:50 AM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buglemintoday View Post
Let us know what you find Arrowhead!

Are you in the Artesia/Carlsbad area? I might be out there soon...I have quite the arrowhead collection for less than a years worth of surface hunting
I'm northeast of there up on the cap. I won't ask if you are collecting them on BLM or state land as that's a no-no. I have quite a few from out in the sandhills when it was all legal but my nicest ones were found on the farm I grew up on over in Texas but still on top of the cap.

Now to the ammo report. I got a late start due to helping my son move some heavy stuff and the sun was low to the southwest which created some less than helpful reflections on the sights. A rest helped with the SR22 but not as much as I hoped for. I actually shot the PPK/S 22 better than the Ruger but I didn't have as much reflection on it's sights for some reason. I'm still a lousy shot with short barreled light weight pistols.

Anyway I took some Federal Champion, Remington Golden Bullets, Winchester Super X, CCI Mini-Mags, and Fiocci hv and a little subsonic. The Fiocci HV and subsonsic got the same sizes groups but the sub sonic wouldn't cycle the gun. It was shoot, cycle the side, shoot, and do it again. Both gave four shots in an inch at 10 yards with a flyer in every group. Winchester had one dud in twenty five rounds and gave me groups of 1 1/2 inches with a couple of fliers. Both the CCI and Remington gave the best groups of about 3/4" but the fliers persisted. Some of them were my fault and I knew when I managed to pull a shot. Both brands shot with no problems.

The Federal was junk. I have amended my statement about Winchester Expert being worse than Federal. This stuff was terrible. The very first shot was a squib. The bullet did make it out of the barrel but I checked to make sure before another shot. Next three went bang and and then click. Ran it thru again and click. Next four went bang and another squib. Next couple of shots when bang and a stovepipe. I finally managed to get three five shot groups on target from the SR22 and they were all two inches or better. At 10 yards.

I had basically the same results with the PPK/S 22 but with slightly smaller groups and didn't even attempt to shoot any of the Federal ammo in it. I also took my new Mk III 22/45 lite and Mk IV target which are equipped with red dot sights. Much better groups with the target but still with the same variations between ammo. What was a big surprise was the Mk III. The ammo did basically the same thing as it did with the other three guns but I got my largest groups with it. I was also testing a compensator that I made along with the ammo and I am going to blame it. I forgot to take the factory nut to compare but I will do that next week. I'm also going to eleminate Federal ammo from my testing.