Old 02-07-2017, 12:53 PM
ford8nr
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Zastava CZ99 supersport iron sights

So I managed to shoot the off hand challange with my Zastava CZ99
Here's the story behind her
So around 1-1/2 year ago I saw a Zastava CZ99 .22LR at Cabela's for $279. Took a good look at it and liked it, was tempting but I resisted. Started checking around and found J&G had them for $169 with $19 shipping. So I ordered one from them to be delivered Monday. My plans are to install a Williams WRGS rear peep and may be a plain flat front blade. Part of my desire is I'm taking the NRA Rifle Instructor course this fall and need to shoot an iron sight qualification target. Could use my Garand, NO...or my AR, NO...or my Kimber 82G if I pull the scope and install the irons, NO...I got an idea, I NEED another rifle.
So after reading other threads looks like I'll need to tune the mags, clean up the extractors and trigger...
Since then I received my new (used) Williams WGRS receiver mounted peep sight. Took a LOT more filing to make fit due to the rounded top of the receiver. Fits great now and REALLY makes the irons sights better for mid aged eyes.

Took a NRA Rifle Instructors course this and had to shoot a 3 position pre-qual with an iron sight rifle. So I grabbed th CZ99 with the Weaver rear peep. Was the only candidate in the class to shoot the 3 position pre-qual on the first attempt. Rifle definitely has potential.
And that pretty much gets me to yesterday and trying her out again. Wanted to shoot my Win 75 and never take only one gun to the range.
Best thing I did was squared off and flattened the front sight bead with a file to allow for a accurate 6oclock hold.
Great to have another challange to shoot for between league seasons !

Last edited by ford8nr; 02-07-2017 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:22 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
If the front sight is like on mine the mounting method is kind of weird! Hopefully they have changed it but that was one of the reasons I shortened my barrel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 02-11-2017, 07:19 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Small correction....Your CZ99 would be a SuperStock Bolt Action. SuperSport is a heavy barreled semi auto. A "Varmint" version of a SuperStock rifle.

Still I will looking forward to your SuperStock Bolt Zastava. Here was mine:
Started out like this except this is after the HORRIBLE original finish and checkering that looked like it was done by a drunken monkey with a dull pocket knife were sanded off and finished with 30 year old tung oil:

Then after the barrel was shortened, crowned, set back and rechambered with an Anshutz style reamer. By the way the bore was amazing with mirror bright lands and grooves I am almost certain it had to be hammer forged to be this pretty inside. However they guy that did the chamber said it was the first chamber he had ever seen with a REVERSE TAPER in it!!

The story can be found here:
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=239133

I ended up aluminum tape bedding it and it was amazingly accurate....then I gave it away

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk

Last edited by Vincent; 02-11-2017 at 07:22 PM.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:53 PM
chicharrones

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford8nr View Post
So after reading other threads looks like I'll need to tune the mags, clean up the extractors and trigger...
More than likely.

Quote:
Since then I received my new (used) Williams WGRS receiver mounted peep sight. Took a LOT more filing to make fit due to the rounded top of the receiver.
Too true!

Quote:
My plans are to install a Williams WRGS rear peep and may be a plain flat front blade.
I need a different front sight for my Zastava. I installed a Marbles front ramp and bead to go with my Williams WGRS, but now even with a 0.050" rear aperture I'm having a real hard time seeing that near invisible brass bead.

Or, a scopin' I will be a doin'.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:38 AM
ford8nr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had a thread on my whole Zastava build when I got it.
Ended up NOT replacing the front sight due to the dovetail size.
Instead I filed the sides and top of the bead flat. This gave me a plain square/flat front blade I could use for a 6-o'clock hold. WORKS GREAT.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:06 PM
chicharrones

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I had a thread on my whole Zastava build when I got it.
Right you are! I even responded in it several times, but I didn't remember. Time to stop (insert vice here) so much.