Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-16-2017, 04:50 AM
Geoff40
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Officers Model, 1933

[IMG]

One I wish could talk. I bought this revolver quite a few years back now, the bluing is worn, it has scratches, it was well cared for. The lock works on these revolvers were all hand fitted like the decades-later Python (built on the same frame) and this revolver is my favorite .22LR revolver of all. I like shooting this butter-smooth gun better than any S&W 17 or earlier Outdoorsmans, which says something because I love older S&W 6 shooters. This Colt is a tack driver. The Sambar stags are factory (many OMs from this time were shipped with them) and because I don't like the way they fit my hand, I took them off and put on the correct wood factory grips.

Last edited by Geoff40; 02-16-2017 at 04:55 AM.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:31 AM
alro41

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I had a Colt Officers Match (new) back in the mid 60's. Foolishly traded it for a canoe and single stage loading press. Because of it's reputation I thought it should shoot like a target rifle. And maybe it could - I just couldn't. Probably my dumbest firearm transaction.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:46 PM
bn12gg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice looking Sambar grips. I purchased a pre owned Colt 1911 custom with Sambar grips -- learned something, I was unaware that back in the day they could be factory ordered. Mine are certainly not "factory." Thanks

David

Last edited by bn12gg; 02-16-2017 at 04:19 PM.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:22 PM
azshot
US Navy NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great target pistols. Actually, the only Colt factory grips I am aware of from the 1930s are walnut, gutta percha, ivory, and pearl. Never heard of factory stag that early.

Last edited by azshot; 02-19-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:52 PM
Brittman
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Geoff 40,

Great post! I agree with what you said concerning the older Colt OM revolvers. To shoot one is an experience. A look into the past.

Thanks!

Brittman
Old 02-18-2017, 07:06 AM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Very nice.
They don't make them like they used to and they never will again. It is too expensive.

Enjoy it, you have a real gem.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:13 AM
Darrel in Minn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Excellent post. I have a newer series 5 OMM. From what I have heard these Model Targets were much smoother action. The Pre War ones are the smoothest of all the Colts I understand. Around here the OMM or OM do not bring as much as a Diamondback. The Diamondbacks are bringing or asking unreal prices.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:43 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Guess I need to dig one of my old ones out that is "not perfect" and shoot it a bit. Been a while. Been shooting mostly Smiths lately.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:58 PM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Something about a fine gun that even a considerable amount of honest wear doesn't detract from its visual appeal. And when they are not pristine, you can shoot them without reducing their value.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:49 AM
Geoff40

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by azshot View Post
Actually, the only Colt factory grips I am aware of from the 1930s are walnut, gutta percha, ivory, and pearl. Never heard of factory stag that early.
I am far from what you could call a Colt expert. That said, believe it or not every example of this 30s era revolver I've run across in GS around here over the past 35 years has been wearing sambar stags like these, except for 1 which has wood. Enough of them so that years back I assumed they must have been factory stags, even if missing a Colt medallion. Then later on after I purchased this OM, others who are far more knowledgable than I am about Colt confirmed that these grips were available as options back in this time era. Along with the members of the Colt forum who affirmed this. The fit is as perfect as any other factory stags I've seen on any handgun. I don't have it in writing from Colt, just info that I trust is correct.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:30 AM
James Cottrell
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to James Cottrell
My Dad had one in .38. Wish it was still around.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:49 PM
azshot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff40 View Post
I am far from what you could call a Colt expert. That said, believe it or not every example of this 30s era revolver I've run across in GS around here over the past 35 years has been wearing sambar stags like these, except for 1 which has wood. Enough of them so that years back I assumed they must have been factory stags, even if missing a Colt medallion. Then later on after I purchased this OM, others who are far more knowledgable than I am about Colt confirmed that these grips were available as options back in this time era. Along with the members of the Colt forum who affirmed this. The fit is as perfect as any other factory stags I've seen on any handgun. I don't have it in writing from Colt, just info that I trust is correct.
Many people replaced the factory grips with stag in the 1940s and 1950s. The only way to know if they are factory is to buy a Colt factory letter. And even then, only about half the time do letters reveal the grip type, but should for such a rare option. I've been a Colt collector for decades, and was one of the early members of the Colt Forum. Who "confirmed" your grips on there?

Here is a thread with over 140 posts of Officers Models, and not one has Sambar Stag. Many are owned by some of the top collectors in the world of this model. http://www.coltforum.com/forums/phot...to-thread.html

Some of mine here. Officers models typically came with Walnut (bottom), Pearl (2nd from bottom), and Ivory. Factory stag would be very rare.

Last edited by azshot; 02-19-2017 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:19 PM
Geoff40

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, maybe you're right, I don't know. It was eons ago that I was given this info from the Colt forum, and I've long since forgotten who, when, my user name, etc. But, I will tell you, it took me less than 2 minutes to find these pics. They don't prove anything, other than its not just my 1930s era OM that has what appear to be the same sambar stags on them. This first is on a 38 special OM.

Below, is another .22 LR OM.

If you know that these are not factory, then just say so, tell me what they are, and not try to indulge me in some sort of gun intellect war. As I said I am no expert with Colt, and I simply repeated the info I was given years ago-back in the late 90s-shortly after I bought this. It is at least the 4th or 5th 1930s OM I've seen in person, gun in my hands, with these same stags. I don't really care if they are factory or not.

Last edited by Geoff40; 02-19-2017 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:28 PM
kevinqjhps
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The clockwork on old guns are the BEST, my 1954 H-S Sharpshooter is so smooth it makes you smile. Now days people are hired from the help wanted section, given 2 hours training, and they are now "gunsmiths."

I sent a .22 SIG I had back, the slide was LOCKED SHUT. They did something and the repair said. 'too much lube on slide rails.' Now I admit I didn't invent the wheel but that is 100% horse crap!humb:

Sadly the days when a guy went work in a factory, was a apprentice for 10 years, then was on his own are long gone. Younger people just don't know what they are missing.

kevinqjhps

Last edited by kevinqjhps; 02-19-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:28 PM
azshot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff40 View Post
If you know that these are not factory, then just say so, tell me what they are, and not try to indulge me in some sort of gun intellect war. As I said I am no expert with Colt, and I simply repeated the info I was given years ago-back in the late 90s-shortly after I bought this. It is at least the 4th or 5th 1930s OM I've seen in person, gun in my hands, with these same stags. I don't really care if they are factory or not.

Geoff, I politely told you the only way you can tell if they're factory is with a Colt letter. I can't say they are not factory. You can't say they are factory. BUT - you DID say they were factory. I had to explain, for other collectors, the facts. It's not an intellectual war. It's stopping erroneous information being perpetuated on the internet. VERY few pre-war Colts were ordered with Stag. MANY stag grips were retrofitted in the 1940s and 1950 during the TV Western era.

I could do a search for Officers Models with Beaver Tooth grips, and find a few. That doesn't mean they are common or factory, nor does you saying "every one I've seen a my local gun shops have had Stag [and therefore, Colt must have put stag on most Officers Models]" Did you LOOK at the thread I posted? Hundreds of Officers Models pictures. NONE have stag. The ONLY stag grips I have seen that are factory Colt, have a Colt medallion. The ones you show are most likely AFTERMARKET, as is your gun. If you don't care, drop it. If you do, get a Colt letter and report back to us.

Do you get it now? I'm trying to help collectors realize Stag was not a common grip in pre-war Officers Models. Get a letter if you want to prove yours are factory. Otherwise, you're making stuff up.

Last edited by azshot; 02-20-2017 at 05:44 PM.