Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:03 AM
1911-GATOR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
PayPal???

I've noticed several ads in the classified that list PayPal as a possible/preferred method of payment for the purchase of a rifle or pistol. However, I know that PayPal will not allow the purchase of any firearms, ammunition or many categories of firearm parts/accessories.

What am I missing here? Thanks.

Ed
Old 02-16-2017, 06:42 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Some people just like to gamble.Not too sure about the risk reward ratio doing this though
Old 02-16-2017, 08:27 AM
DGF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Paypal worked for me buying parts from yodave,also rangefinders and stocks.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:49 AM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
if you know the other party (and trust them) it is fine. I have started using Chase Quick Pay though as they charge no fees and all you give the other person is your email to send the money to. It is linked in with several other banks so it is not just for chase customers.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:00 AM
BamaInArk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have often been curious about this as well. I have made several gun parts related purchases in more recent year through Paypal. Some billed my credit card and some you just sent them the funds. One thing though is most do not use a name that seems to be gun related.

This is not just a Paypal issue though.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:02 AM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have never had a problem of buying anything on line with Pay Pal. Ammo, stocks, parts and a lot of msic. other things. I think I also used PP to purchase at least 1 weapon on line iirc.

VH
Old 02-16-2017, 09:34 AM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
You will not have a problem with using PayPal for firearm related purchases as long as you don't file any discrepancies with them about the transaction. I have used them many times for firearms related purchases but never for a complete firearm. If you do use them and have a problem with your purchase I would recommend trying to work it out with the seller and not involve PayPal.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:41 AM
CardPuncher

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Many sellers want you to call the PayPal payment a gift. PayPal doesn't charge a fee on the transaction so it saves a few bucks, and you don't have to claim that it's for "machine parts" or something.

On the other hand, you are helping the seller commit a minor fraud on PayPal. Is that who you want to buy from? And if you have a problem with the transaction there is no recourse. It was a gift. You can't ask PayPal to help you with a refund for a gift.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:49 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
98% (49)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardPuncher View Post
Many sellers want you to call the PayPal payment a gift. PayPal doesn't charge a fee on the transaction so it saves a few bucks, and you don't have to claim that it's for "machine parts" or something.

On the other hand, you are helping the seller commit a minor fraud on PayPal. Is that who you want to buy from? And if you have a problem with the transaction there is no recourse. It was a gift. You can't ask PayPal to help you with a refund for a gift.
You either trust the seller or you don't.You can also add three per cent to the amount to cover the seller's fee if you're concerned about "a gift or family or friend thing",and want to make it a purchase transaction. .Let's face it, most sellers don't want to eat the fee if they don't have to,do want to offer the item as inexpensively as they can,and I can't blame them.I don't see where a seller would have a problem with adding 3% to the price..Paypal is a convenience that gets the deal moving right away.Good for both parties.
You can also send a check or money order,adding up to a week for the deal to get rolling,(not that the USPS is going to knock themselves out for some minor fraud if the seller is no good.)Paypal isn't going to give the buyer the same recourse as an item purchased with paypal on ebay,so I don't know how much protection a buyer thinks that he has,if it's a purchase,particularly if no return or inspection terms are stated.

Last edited by Camster; 02-17-2017 at 05:55 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:23 PM
CardPuncher

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camster View Post
You either trust the seller or you don't....
A complete stranger is going to cheat PayPal a little and I'm supposed to trust that he won't cheat me a lot? Not to mention that he's assuming I think it's OK and will help him do it? Nope. No trust there. There are some wonderfully honest and honorable people on this forum and elsewhere on the Internet. This is one of the ways you see who they are, and are not.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:23 AM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
98% (49)
I'd prefer to think that forum members are friends in sport.I've never had a problem with selling or buying,no matter what form of payment.If you prefer to limit your buying options,that's certainly your right.Far greater crimes than a seller trying to retain a few dollars and it doesn't make him a scoundrel out to get you.
The only time that I've been screwed was with a FFL holder years ago,where I verified with the manufacturer that he was indeed one of their dealers(and that manufacturer assured me that the deposit money sent to that dealer was not at risk and they would back him up) and I paid with a USPS MO.None of that protected me.At least the guy finally saw the inside of a jail cell.Point being,if someone has it in their heart to screw you,it's pretty much going to happen.