Ruger American vs CZ American vs Older Marlin - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:55 PM
Woodrow Smith
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I have the Ruger American Rimfire as well as a Mossberg 642KA Chuckster; both are great rifles but the Mossberg out groups the Ruger.....well not only shoots tighter groups but impressively tighter groups. My advice find yourself an old Chuckster.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:35 PM
armsman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a rar carbine and a cz 455. The ruger out shoots the cz all day long. I really don't know what I'm keeping the cz. If ruger would make one with a nice wood stock like my cz has it would be the best shooting and looking 22mag on the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2017, 11:33 PM
TnTnTn
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The RAR .22 WMR carbine would be hard to beat imo- mine shoots better than my 512. I really like the 9 rnd flush mag and the handiness of the rifle-a super value. The old Marlins shoot great in my experience too but their triggers are generally not as good. My Marlin 783? or whatever shoots excellent but it's not as 'nice' as the RAR.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:16 PM
I6turbo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
If you have a CZ WMR and it's not shooting well enough to suit you, don't give up on it until you try some Hornady 30 grain V-Max ammo. I'd seen a number of CZ owners saying that this ammo shot noticeably better in their CZs than other makes/models of 22 Magnum ammo. My 452 Lux was about a 1.6 MOA shooter with a few different types of CCI and Winchester ammo. I wasn't very happy with that so I tried some of the Hornady 30 grain and love it because the gun with this ammo is consistently under 1 MOA well beyond 100 yards. With the improved accuracy the gun went from being just okay in my view to being one of my favorite rifles. 22 WMR is a very sweet round.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:38 PM
I6turbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGR_LV View Post
I can tell you one thing about both the CZ and the RAR, though. They're both a right pain in the arse to put a decent set of iron sights on. By "decent set of iron sights" i mean a micrometer-adjusting rear peep sight and a globe-style front with interchangeable inserts. My family and lots of friends shoot in a local rimfire league that is iron-sights only, so I've been down this road several times. My daughter's left-handed CZ 452 American came totally without sights. I finally settled for a dovetail mount Williams Target Foolproof for the rear and a Lyman 77 for the front, which cost me to have the barrel drilled and tapped for the necessary sliding dovetail base. It's okay, but the Target Foolproof is pretty much the bottom-feeder of micrometer sights. I'd have considered having the receiver drilled and tapped for a Lyman/Redfield base, but there's that left-handed bolt hanging out over there....
For iron sights on a CZ one might be better off starting with one of the CZs that came with irons. For these guns you can scrounge up a set of BRNO Target sights (or the Williams ones) like those shown on some of the CZs in these threads:
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=542539

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=726049
Old 02-20-2017, 02:52 PM
Four52 shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
The winner is .....

Thanks to all those that replied , your comments were very helpful. I will be going with a Ruger American with the 18" barrel. I will most likely buy mine online. The older walnut Marlins are simply hard to find and the asking price on one 883 I found was almost creeping up on CZ prices. No thanks.

I never had a Ruger bolt action rimfire and sounds like most everyone is very satisfied in regards to accuracy. And the trigger seems to be pretty decent as well. I looked some over this weekend and the metal work has a really nice finish.

turbo - that is one hec of an impressive Lux! The one I owned looked nice but nothing like what you have there! Mine shot really well with CCI Maxi-Mag 40 grain.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:53 PM
I6turbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Four52 shooter View Post
turbo - that is one hec of an impressive Lux! The one I owned looked nice but nothing like what you have there! Mine shot really well with CCI Maxi-Mag 40 grain.
Thanks. I refinished the wood on that Lux. I must confess, I'm a serial refinisher of CZ walnut stocks because there is almost always some nice looking grain hiding under the heavy factory finish that they use on their models other than the Americans.