Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:35 AM
Hammer47
US Navy Veteran GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
87% (11)
GRITS...let's cheat a little

I know all my friends down south will call BS on this assault upon a southern benchmark but I like stuff a little different. I like a large helping of grits with my fried eggs at breakfast so here goes. If you have grits leftover [no such animal] put them in the fridge and use them tomorrow for FRIED grits...yummy.

Boil 2 cups water
Add one chicken bullion cube and wait till it is dissolved into the water
Add 1/2 cup grits and boil according to instructions

When grits are done pour into bowl and add one heaping tablespoon of sour cream. Hot sauce to taste. Mix well.

This, to me, makes a great creamy grit
Old 02-10-2017, 10:47 AM
shot410ga
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like my grits with sharp cheddar cheese and some Texas Pete Hot sauce. Yummy with fried eggs, or any kind of eggs for that matter.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:19 PM
TOMBECK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Wife puts extra grits in an open can - chill - when ready - push out and slice and fry. She uses flower first. They may pop in real hot grease. (Being a yankee, I sometimes put a little honey or syrup on them).

Old 02-10-2017, 02:36 PM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My grits are fine with just a big glop of butter, or topped with sausage gravy. I consider them tasteless without something added, just like lima beans are.

I remember in some of my travels that lots of non-Southerners don't know what grits are. Their reactions are sometimes priceless. Each area has breakfast favorites. In Washington State, I learned about "butterhorns". Picture a plate size cinnamon roll. smothered in butter and often pancake syrup. A bazillion calories. Yum!
Old 02-11-2017, 07:10 PM
wookness
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Likely heresy, but I do a couple of eggs poached 'hard' in a plastic gizmo from Ohio that I've had for years; 123 seconds nuked to perfection. Also do 'quick grits' w/milk in the microwave, two packages to a half C. of whole milk. Cut the eggs into the finished grits and add fresh ground black pepper & a few splorks of Ashanti [tm] Louisiana hot sauce from N'orlins. gets me thu mornings when the bride prefers to sleep in.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:53 PM
FieldGrade

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Stone ground grits cooked low and slow in chicken stock (4 cups liquid to 1 cup grits). add one 4oz can of greed chilis. Throw in a hand full of sharp cheddar and a healthy splash of 1/2&1/2 when finished. 2 over easy eggs on top slathered with Franks Red Hot and enjoy.
If you like your eggs on the side just put a big ol gob of butter a healthy dose of black pepper on the grits.

Put the left over grits in the fridge and microwave in a covered dish as needed. I'm just feeding me and a batch lasts five or six days.

PS....bring the liquid to a boil then add the grits, reduce heat and cover for 20-30 minutes stirring often.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:37 PM
22shooters

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Breakfast grits. Cover with sugar and butter to taste ��. Just like my oats.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:34 PM
catbird

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Born, raised and lived in the South from the gitgo. Not much is heresy for grits unless you refuse to eat it without sugar or syrup. In that case, you probably just forgot to try it the way God intended. Now for a tip on cheese grits. Instead of plunking cheddar, American, etc. into the pot, just use half of your normal amount of your favorite cheese and complete the other half with grated parmesan, romano and/or asiago. I know it sounds heretical to my fellow country boys, but the Italian cheeses just kick in the afterburner on cheese flavor.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:25 AM
SylviaOlson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like my Grits with cheese. Love the way chess melts and it tastes awesome.