Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:46 PM
wookness
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)

The older Ajax & Comet cleansers were abrasive, which meant that they were capable of scratching 'fiberglass', using the term in the loose generic, so they got changed to substantively less abrasive formulas so they would not. For the purpose being discussed here, the older formulas were much more efficient. Generic no-name scouring cleansers are available at some of the dollar stores & those will get 'er done most cost effectively.

Nothing wrong w/Bar Keeper's Friend either, its just more expensive.

Last edited by wookness; 11-19-2014 at 10:49 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:14 AM
nhw

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use the cleaner made for cleaning my glass electric range top. Small dab on a folded paper towel . It cleans incredibly fast. I also slowly rotate the rods as they darken. When the whole rods is darkened with metal. I clean it. It takes a long time to completely coat an entire rod. To make things easier I always rotate clockwise. If the rods are tight (as they should be for best results) I use a rubberized pad used to open jars with tight lids.
Ceramic rods are the best choice for knives with recurve blades. Say a Benchmade 710. I am so into ceramic rods sharpeners that I keep three setup. One coarse set at the narrow angle, one fine at narrow angle and for final strokes fine at wide angle. After sharpening you can snap cut phonebook paper into strips without tearing.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:38 PM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (139)
I always cleaned mine with Ajax cleaner. One day I was watching a video of a gunsmith stoning some hammer and trigger parts, and he used honing oil to clean them. The gray wiped right off.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:17 PM
NIB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldeyes View Post
I've found that the key to easily getting all of the deeply embedded metal residue out of ceramic sharpeners is to use a cleanser containing oxalic acid. The most readily available of those cleansers are Bar Keeper's Friend
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallee View Post
Someone told me to give Bar Keepers a try and it worked wonders for me. Cleans them up quick and good.
I just looked at my BKF I had and sure enough Oxalic Acid. Have to give it a try, thanks. FYI, Rhubarb leaves have a fair amount of Oxalic Acid in them, its in the stalks also just not in as high a concentration.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:23 PM
Pipe_Smoker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a 30+ year old crock stick set (two round ceramic rods and a wooden base) frequently used. I clean them by sprinkling Bartender's Friend (the dry powder variety) onto a wet dish cloth, then rub off the metal marks. Takes a minute or so per stick.

P. S. – after 30+ years of use, the crock sticks look like new (after cleaning). A life time investment!

Last edited by Pipe_Smoker; 02-08-2016 at 10:26 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:56 PM
Deltaboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Thanks for the information.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:33 AM
wdtorque
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipe_Smoker View Post
I have a 30+ year old crock stick set (two round ceramic rods and a wooden base) frequently used. I clean them by sprinkling Bartender's Friend (the dry powder variety) onto a wet dish cloth, then rub off the metal marks. Takes a minute or so per stick.

P. S. after 30+ years of use, the crock sticks look like new (after cleaning). A life time investment!
Mine aren't that old, but it's what I do too.
Dozier
Old 04-14-2016, 09:01 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipe_Smoker View Post
Ditto, except I let mine soak a couple minutes for the acid to do its thing. I like me crock sticks for everything except, the couple dozen assorted kitchen knives that get buzzed with an electric sharpener.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:17 PM
JFK10/22

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Thanks for the tip on the Bar Keepers Friend. I just ordered a 12 oz. powder container from fleabay for $3.99 delivered. I was using SOS pads and they were not doing that great of a job. I am looking forward to cleaning my crock sticks with this new powder so that I can actually see that they are white again.

Just another example of the great people on this site sharing pertinent information.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:36 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK10/22 View Post
Thanks for the tip on the Bar Keepers Friend. I just ordered a 12 oz. powder container from fleabay for $3.99 delivered.
Delivered?
Old 09-27-2016, 11:32 PM
JFK10/22

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Yep, it was $3.99 with FREE shipping. I don't like to pay for shipping or state sales tax when I buy on the Net. It was delivered today and I used it on the crock sticks almost immediately. I just use the feature on fleabay that allows for the prices to be listed starting with the lowest including shipping first. It saves a lot of time comparison price shopping when you know what you want.
I do not remember my crock sticks being this white in over 25 years. I was so impressed that my wife told me to clean the small rust spots out of the sink and I gladly obliged. It worked great for that job also.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:25 AM
SteveLV

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
HomeDepot has it listed at $1.48. At that price how could you not pick up a can or two..

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bar-Keepe...1584/202821212
Old 03-05-2017, 01:45 PM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (195)
Is it any better than Ajax or Comet powders or even Softscrub?

Doug
Old 03-05-2017, 04:26 PM
Phil in Alabama

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Looked up ingredients for Comet , Ajax, Soft Scrub and Barkeepers Friend. The first three are similar, but the Barkeepers Friend is completely different. The oxalic acid component is unique to it and it reads like it would be superior for cleaning and polishing metal products. Next time in town I might get some to use on the stainless steel sinks, they need a good cleaning. I'll try it on the ceramic sticks and report back afterwards. We're about out of other cleaning stuff anyway.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:35 PM
stevegun

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wink Thanks guys!

Just tried the BKF and a maroon Scotchbrite pad, 2 minutes for both my sticks! As white as they were when I bought them at Cutlery World 30+ years ago. Thanks for the schooling.