Action screw - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:31 AM
combatinfidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Action screw

So I was checking the torque on my action screw and noticed that it only screws in about one thread with the factory stock so really all that holds the action in place is the barrel band what are your alls thoughts on this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-17-2017, 09:44 AM
ivan

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Take action out of stock and screw the take down screw in all the way - still only one thread? Could be some junk in the threads, chase 'em.

Then put it back together. With the barrel band off, and the take down screw in, does the rifle rock back and forth?
Old 02-17-2017, 09:53 AM
combatinfidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan View Post
Take action out of stock and screw the take down screw in all the way - still only one thread? Could be some junk in the threads, chase 'em.

Then put it back together. With the barrel band off, and the take down screw in, does the rifle rock back and forth?

The screw screws in fine with the action out of the stock with the stock on the action and the screw in with one thread there is front and back movement do I need to remove some material from the stock where the action screw goes through the stock??

Old 02-17-2017, 10:05 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by combatinfidel View Post
The screw screws in fine with the action out of the stock with the stock on the action and the screw in with one thread there is front and back movement do I need to remove some material from the stock where the action screw goes through the stock??

It's unclear what you mean by it screws in fine. Do you mean that it protrudes about 0.3" on the inside when screwed all the way in with the action out? If so, how are you determining that only a couple of threads are engaging the action? Have youd done any mods to the stock (bedding, etc.)?

I'd first check to make sure the escucheon hasn't worked it's way out. It's only press fit in by Ruger. You may be able to tap it in. I wouldn't remove material yet.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:12 AM
combatinfidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawhp View Post
It's unclear what you mean by it screws in fine. Do you mean that it protrudes about 0.3" on the inside when screwed all the way in with the action out? If so, how are you determining that only a couple of threads are engaging the action? Have youd done any mods to the stock (bedding, etc.)?

I'd first check to make sure the escucheon hasn't worked it's way out. It's only press fit in by Ruger. You may be able to tap it in. I wouldn't remove material yet.

When screwing the screw into the action without the stock it screws in all the way to the end without issues when putting the stock on the action and screwing the screw in you can feel it catch but then it spins and catches again I will check the euschcheon when I get home there has been zero mods to the stock

Old 02-17-2017, 10:24 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
When screwing the screw into the action without the stock it screws in all the way to the end without issues when putting the stock on the action and screwing the screw in you can feel it catch but then it spins and catches again I will check the euschcheon when I get home there has been zero mods to the stock

Got it. When it is screwed in all the way, action out, about 1/3" of threads should be protruding up through the hole. 1/3" is a lot for your action to be off by. Check to see if the threads on the receiver are in good shape and not stripped. If they are, you may need to tap to the next size up and get a larger action screw. Several people do this mod even when there is no problem, going to a 1/4" takedown screw, but I don't think it makes enough difference to go there, unless there's a problem like stripped threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2017, 01:03 PM
farm boy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have the exact same problem with an aftermarket stock. My thoughts are it didn't have enough material removed. The action has a good fit to the stock. Just bought a longer action screw to get more thread contact.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:54 AM
combatinfidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The action screw screws into the action but rather than stopping it just spins any thoughts on how to fix this do I need to tap it and get a different bolt

Old 02-18-2017, 01:20 PM
farm boy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sounds like the threads are stripped. My thoughts are you need to see if it is the screw or the in the action. Then it is either get a different screw or drill out the action to the next size larger and get a new screw.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:46 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The action (receiver) going all the way into the stock ?

Last edited by jstanfield103; 02-18-2017 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:55 PM
combatinfidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanfield103 View Post
The action (receiver) going all the way into the stock ? Som

Yes the action is seated fully into the stock

Old 02-18-2017, 06:04 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
The action screw screws into the action but rather than stopping it just spins any thoughts on how to fix this do I need to tap it and get a different bolt

You said above that the threads weren't stripped, so there should be no reason to tap.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:25 PM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
You said above that the threads weren't stripped, so there should be no reason to tap.
but he also said "The action screw screws into the action but rather than stopping it just spins"

that sounds like stripped threads to me
Old 02-18-2017, 06:29 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
but he also said "The action screw screws into the action but rather than stopping it just spins"

that sounds like stripped threads to me
I agree, but I suggested that, and the OP said the threads weren't stripped, so I assume that means he checked. Aluminum is pretty soft, which is why I asked originally. At this point, I think we need pictures.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:37 PM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
I agree, but I suggested that, and the OP said the threads weren't stripped, so I assume that means he checked. Aluminum is pretty soft, which is why I asked originally. At this point, I think we need pictures.
+1