Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Birding Glass

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  jack62 
#1 · (Edited)
If you shoot Nikon and are looking at longer glass options you may want to consider the new Nikkor 200-500 VR. I am very favorably impressed with it and while $1,400 is a lot (to me anyway) to spend on a lens I would do it again in a heartbeat. The VR is exceptional and the image quality wide open is great too. There are owners of the Nikkor 200-400 f/4 ($7,000 lens) who are selling them after buying the 200-500 as they can't really tell any difference in image quality.

My prior bird lens was the 300 f/4 non-stabilized Nikon. This new lens absolutely allows me to get images that I could not otherwise. Not becuase of the reach but because of the stabilization.

My only complaint is that this thing is big, weighing nearly 5 pounds by itself.

This was shot handheld at 500mm. It's one of 3 frames and all were good but this was the best of the three.

handheld moon by Flcrutch, on Flickr

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Great shot of the moon.
I just received my Nikon 200-500mm a few days ago and I am impressed. Haven't had a chance to get out with it other than a few rest shots on the patio. My camera is a Nikon D7000.

Hand held at 200mm

Hand held at 300mm

Hand held at 500mm

Mounted on my D7000

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.