Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:51 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Arrow Blast Shields 101

One of the things I really dislike about the design of the mark pistols is the breach gap Ruger adds on either side of the feed ramp. Every shot sprays powder residue into the trigger group, which is a pain to clean. These gaps are really not needed for function. But I think Ruger makes them because it's easier for them to machine the feed ramp that way.

When I was still fairly new to the RFC forum, I read some posts touting the use of blast shields. I was intrigued by the idea, but nobody posted any pictures of what they look like. It took a lot of digging WAY back in the archives to find a post that included a diagram. At least it was a good starting point.

In seeing recent pictures posted on these forums, it struck me that many new members have no idea what a blast shield should look like or how it should fit. Since my MKII was in need of a detail cleaning, I decided I would take a couple pictures to help out the newbies. This will be old hat for many old timers.

Here's my freshly cleaned MKII grip frame.

Here's the blast shield.

Here's the installed blast shield.

And this is with the receiver installed.

There really is no right or wrong design for blast shields. It's simply fitting a piece of aluminum can to cover as much of the trigger group as you can, while not impeding function.

My MKIII blast shield has a little bit longer "tail" to cover and fit into the larger trigger cutout in the frame. If I were still using the factory trigger in it, I would also need to make a notch on the tail to allow the "magazine lift tab" to reach the mag.

Cheap, simple, and effective.

I hope this helps some people out. With the shield (which cleans up very easily), I now only pull the trigger out for cleaning about every 5k rounds. Without, I was needing to do it about every 500.

Cheers!!!
Old 02-25-2017, 12:22 PM
stewswanson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
blast shields

Note that the shield is formed away from the disconnector so as to not drag it at all. And he has given away his "trade secret" of using a Mt. Dew can. I use one too. Stew
Old 02-25-2017, 12:31 PM
DeadEyeDick45
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Is that the new designed Mt Dew can?

Old 02-25-2017, 01:07 PM
langenc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not My Dew but a Cocaine Cola can.