Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:11 AM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great day shooting my Mark III 22/45

Today was our monthly Steel Challenge Match in Phoenix. The weather was perfect, starting at 70 degrees at 9 a.m and finishing up at 90 by noon.

I've been shooting Revolver Open for about 30 years in the match but today I decided to shoot my Ruger Mark III 22/45 in the Open Rimfire division. What a change. I had two failures to feed during the entire match. I changed out the offending magazine and had no more jams.

I wanted to shoot my Mark IV 22/45 but I just finished the trigger job yesterday and wanted to make sure my sights were set correctly and get use to the new trigger.

My times weren't the best of day but I cut off 25 seconds from my best revolver times since starting back last year.

We are getting ready for an early Summer with temps in the 100s. Hope it holds off for a month or two. Secret is to drink LOTS of water.

The guys were great. A lot asked where my revolver was. They were surprised when I told them I sold it and my reloading press. I wasn't having any fun with the revolver for the last year. I really enjoyed today and could easily figure what my mistakes were so I can prepare for next month's match.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:28 AM
Arrowhead
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A very nice day in Phoenix and I'm glad you got to enjoy it at the range. It was considerably cooler in the early morning away over here slightly southeast of you where I am but it made it to 89 yesterday. Just took a while for those warm temps to make it over this way. I'll get my range trip tomorrow afternoon.

One reason I enjoy shooting 22s so much is that I don't have to do any reloading. Despite all the magazine articles and forum posts I've read over the years touting it as fun I have never been able to regard it as anything but work. I still enjoy centerfire shooting but regard reloading as work I have to do to be able to shoot as much as I want.

With 22s I can just pick up my empties, strip my targets, and go home. Unlike the majority of the shooters at my gun club I clean up when I'm done.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:08 PM
hooverjc
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Where in Phoenix?

Hello AzShooter,

Where did you shoot today? I usually shoot at Rio on the 4th Sunday with my grandsons. Would like to find more 22 steel shoots here in the Phx area. We are going to a 22 Steel Challenge shoot in Texas next month and need more practice. Thanks and got to love those 22/45's for steel and fun.

Thanks,

Hooverjc

Old 03-20-2017, 01:18 PM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I shoot at Ben Avery Shooting Range, North of Phoenix on I-17 and Carefree Hwy.

The second Sunday of each month a club called The Deer Tribe puts on a Steel Challenge match with all 8 stages.

The third Sunday the Cactus Match League also puts on the match.

Going into summer hours the clubs will now begin shooting at 8 a.m.

Come on out and join us. If you'd like to meet me, I'm the guy in the wheelchair at the Cactus Match.

Last edited by AzShooter; 04-03-2017 at 01:52 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:33 PM
RaylanGivens
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sounds like you had a fun day... Congrats...

I'm an avid USPSA shooter but shoot a 22/45 in RimFire Optics just for fun... It's a blast... Glad you're enjoying shooting more now!
Old 03-20-2017, 11:36 PM
hooverjc
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Planning too

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzShooter View Post
I shoot at Ben Avery Shooting Range, North of Phoenix on I-17 and Carefree Hwy.

The second Sunday of each month a club called The Deer Tribe puts on a Steel Challenge match with all 7 stages.

The third Sunday the Cactus Match League also puts on the match.

Going into summer hours the clubs will now begin shooting at 8 a.m.

Come on out and join us. If you'd like to meet me, I'm the guy in the wheelchair at the Cactus Match.
Thanks for the info, we will plan on coming to the matches. Do they do any 22 rifle steel challenge? Look forward to meeting you.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:53 AM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes. I shoot Rimfire Open they also have standard rimfire and Open Rimfire rifle and non optic.

They shoot all the divisions, so if you want to shoot your centerfire bring it as well.