Old 03-17-2017, 02:14 PM
jcloer1
RFC Sponsor

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
POLL: 5mm Centerfires

Hi all,

I'm prototyping a single shot adapter for the 591 and am wondering how many folks have a converted rifle and whether you hand load to the factory COAL or something longer.

Thanks!

Jim
Old 03-17-2017, 07:43 PM
Wildcat Junkie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcloer1 View Post
Hi all,

I'm prototyping a single shot adapter for the 591 and am wondering how many folks have a converted rifle and whether you hand load to the factory COAL or something longer.

Thanks!

Jim
With the bullets that have been readily available (polymer tipped Hornady 32gr V-Max) a COAL of around 1.5" is needed to reach the lands. Loading short enough to cycle through the magazine results in a significant decrease in accuracy..

Schroeder make a 40 gr RN FMJ bullet that can be loaded short enough to allow 3 rounds to cycle through a slightly modified magazine. Accuracy is good, but these bullets are horribly expensive.

I have an e-mail into Nosler to see if their 32gr and 40gr FBHP bullets might be short enough to run through the magazine. They are basically the polymer tipped bullet without the polymer tip.

Here is my 33gr V-Max load (on the left) loaded to 1.510" COAL

Accuracy is excellent.

100yds

200yds

Old 03-17-2017, 09:52 PM
jcloer1
RFC Sponsor

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great info! Thanks Wildcat!

Would you mind sharing your powder type and charge?

I'll be loading several bullet varieties and at least three different powders.

I don't remember what bullets we have from a previous loading session at my buddies place, but I have recently picked up...

32gr V-max
40gr V-max
26gr Barnes Varmint Grenade
39gr Speer (forget the name)
32gr Nosler Varmint Ballistic Tip
40gr Nosler Varmint Ballistic Tip

The centerfire 591 I recently acquired came with some of the Schroeder bullets, but I don't know what they are as they just came loose in a plastic bag.

I'm very curious to see what the 26gr Barnes will do. I wasn't impressed with Aguila's 30gr options, but who knows. The only other time I've tried Barnes was with the TSX in my 264. I couldn't get those to group, so I haven't tried Barnes since. We'll see...

Old 03-18-2017, 08:11 AM
Wildcat Junkie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcloer1 View Post
Great info! Thanks Wildcat!

Would you mind sharing your powder type and charge?

I'll be loading several bullet varieties and at least three different powders.

I don't remember what bullets we have from a previous loading session at my buddies place, but I have recently picked up...

32gr V-max
40gr V-max
26gr Barnes Varmint Grenade
39gr Speer (forget the name)
32gr Nosler Varmint Ballistic Tip
40gr Nosler Varmint Ballistic Tip

The centerfire 591 I recently acquired came with some of the Schroeder bullets, but I don't know what they are as they just came loose in a plastic bag.

I'm very curious to see what the 26gr Barnes will do. I wasn't impressed with Aguila's 30gr options, but who knows. The only other time I've tried Barnes was with the TSX in my 264. I couldn't get those to group, so I haven't tried Barnes since. We'll see...
I did my initial load development with Quickload predictions. Initially 6.0gr of Alliant 2400 was supposed to achieve 2436 fps @ 34326 psi. This is @ 93.4% of usable case capacity. I don't remember what the actual Mv was, but it was significantly below the prediction. I fashioned a rather long drop tube by telescoping brass hobby tubing. I was able to get 6.8gr of 2400 into the case and seat the bullet @ 1.515" COAL W/O much difficulty. At that point, Mv rose to 2450 fps without any indication of excess pressure. I can post a picture of the fired primer after breakfast. It is not even flattened around the firing pin, so pressure is mild by indication.

I had various bullets from Berger also, but the V-Max bullets are cheap and they work extremely well. Expansion is more than adequate and they make a satisfying "smack" on groundhogs at 100 yds +.

Here is a 20 yd impact on a pigeon from a quartering from low frontal angle.

Last edited by Wildcat Junkie; 03-18-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:32 AM
jcloer1
RFC Sponsor

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wow! That was pretty devastating to the pigeon!

Thanks for the info and tips!

Looking forward to getting after sage rats with them soon!!