relining - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:20 PM
lizardtrack
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
relining

My westey Richards rifling is almost non existent and will only hold a 3/4" group at 25 yds but that's with an open rear sight. Q. Would you consider relining it or leave it original? What does it cost to have it done? I love shooting this little gun.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:45 PM
JVStalin
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Smile To line or ?

Sure ! By lining the barrel , you keep the original markings and finish . I have a friend who loves to putter with a mill and a lathe ; he lined a BSA take-down Martini for me that was a rotten 300 Sherwood , but, is now a 32 S&W Long. I believe he buys his liners from Brownell's for about $120 , if I remember correctly. That's a lot cheaper than a new barrel , profiling , and bluing .
Old 03-18-2017, 10:04 PM
KKG515
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
It can certainly be a great way to go and get more life out of an older gun. If you don't have a good Gunsmith in mind you might consider contacting Brownells. They used to maintain a pretty good list of 'smiths who specialize in a particular type of work.

Old 03-19-2017, 04:52 AM
Toni from N.Z.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Definetly.

As JVStalin states above you will retain all orig. markings and character.
Considered a 'Authentic" repair as in days past they were sweated in with solder in the lower pressure cartridges.
Harry Potter does a reline on Youtube, worth a look.
Was talking to a Senior Gent a while ago and his father was president of local Minature Rifle Club in 1947.
Club ordered several Mod. 12/15's and waited many months to recieve them then he insisted they be sent to Parker for Parker Rifled Lining to be installed.
He wasn't very popular re. this matter but when eventually recieved again from other side of world all members agreed they showed a edge over members privately owned same models.
Parker sold BSA's and included the reline as a standard improvement ex. stock.
It would have been much simpler and cheaper (and much less wait time) to have ordered from Parker in first place.
Parker Lining was considered a improvement by many folks so they must have been very good as BSA made a very good tube to begin with as the Benchrest Folks testify.
About 15yrs back I got a W.W. Greener Takedown ca. 1912 that had been left dirty for decades and rusted out.
I had a reline done and it puts the budget subs into a cigarette end sized hole at 25yds all the time.
It's good for another centuary.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:16 AM
pans858
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I have a 1930's Stevens Walnut Hill target rifle in .22 short that's in great original condition, save the rifling. I have resisted lining the barrel, and considered replacing it, while retaining the original. From a collectibility standpoint, I prefer to keep the gun all original, but I like to shoot most of my old guns, and could turn it into a good performer, and .22LR to boot this way. Some day the wind will help me decide which way to go.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:21 PM
lizardtrack

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the input, now I just have to find a good smith.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:08 PM
rapidfire10ring
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Do be certain to research the twist rate for the rifle you intend to re-line. One of the most common ones is 1 to 16 (one turn in 16 inches) for the .22 match rifles.

So, do a bit of homework before you start and give it over to a gunsmith. That bit of research can give you the expected rewards of accuracy.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:54 PM
JVStalin

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Smile Solder ?

There is no need to put a lot of heat into the mix ; with all the surface area , and , a reasonably tight fit , AccraGlas ( Sp?) works just fine .
Old 03-20-2017, 01:30 PM
Old No7

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
John Taylor of Taylor's Machine in WA did such a good job on my 22 Martini -- that had a sewer pipe of a bore from being shot with corrosive ammo many decades ago -- that you can't even see the seam of the liner on either the muzzle or breech end of the barrel. He's a pro with single shots, so you know he'll do it right.

His shop was highly recommended from the gang over on the ASSRA single shot rifle forum.

Best part was, this restored the rifle's accuracy AND preserved the original markings on the outside of the barrel.

You can easily get his # and address from a Google search.

Old No7
Old 03-20-2017, 02:37 PM
Yank

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is it practical to install a liner without pulling the barrel? This would be the only time that I would prefer a take-down Martini.
Y
Old 03-20-2017, 03:57 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yank View Post
Is it practical to install a liner without pulling the barrel? This would be the only time that I would prefer a take-down Martini.
Y
Yank,

I just, last week, picked up my re-line from my gunsmith. He told me the barrel had to be removed as the drill isn't long enough to do the whole thing from one end. And it would be difficult, or maybe impossible, to cut a new chamber with the barrel in the receiver.

William (Bill) Powell
Cave Creek, Az.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:02 PM
lizardtrack

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't know if mine is considered a take down but if you take the forend off and loosen the screw on the side of the action the barrel unscrews easily and screws back in hand tight and seems to be lined up perfectly.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:26 PM
Yank

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bill,
Thanks, I can see how it would be a real challenge to re-line without pulling the barrel. I suppose one could make a long-enough drill, and use some kind of pull-through clambering reamer, but It would probably be more trouble than it would be worth. BTW, my way-back memory seems to recall something about pre-chambered liners, and pushing them in against a headspace gauge.

Lizard,
Yes, you have a take-down, which I guess would make you fortunate in a re-line situation.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:13 PM
lizardtrack

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Yank, I wasn't sure because the forend has to be removed first. It does make cleaning easier. The front part of the bore is quite worn from cleaning from the muzzle.
Is there any particular twist that is recommended for relining? I usually shoot SV.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:47 PM
rapidfire10ring
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardtrack View Post
Thanks Yank, I wasn't sure because the forend has to be removed first. It does make cleaning easier. The front part of the bore is quite worn from cleaning from the muzzle.
Is there any particular twist that is recommended for relining? I usually shoot SV.
The twist rate that is common is 1 to 16 in .22 long rifle. I have a rifle that has 1 in 20, but that is a .22 short. I am not the best source for determining the twist rate, but I still think you find that 1 in 16 is the most common.

Also, there is a firm in Washington State that makes liners in different twist rates. It's Redman. Also be aware that many gunsmiths get their liners in bulk and only have one choice. So ask questions first.