Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:20 PM
Lucky10

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Scorpion 4.5 or 6 inch

New to the forum and fairly new to rimfire. I shot a couple steel challenge matches in my area and have following in love with it. I am looking to purchase a Scorpion and trying to decide between. 4.5 or 6 inch ? My primary usuage will be rimfire open. Also, one draw back that I have is how the takedown is of the Scorpion. I understand it is like the ruger iii and you know all the never comments regarding that. Can anyone comment on if the takedown/assembly is any easier or just like the ruger? I clean my guns very often and don't want it to take me forever to do that every time.
Thanks
Old 03-19-2017, 03:50 PM
openspaces
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I bought the 6" for longer sight radius but soon after I decided to add a reddot. I now wish I had went with the 4.5. Some like a heavier gun and if you buy the 4.5 you can add the compensator.

As far as takedown it is very similar. That said I do think the scorpion upper separates and assembles a little easier than my mark ii's. If you break them down often then you learn how to assemble and it's not as bad as the write ups sound.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:25 PM
Geo

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I shoot steel challenge with my scorpions. They are all the 4.5 inch barrels and they all have compensators. I am shooting open and use a c more red dot. I use the railway mount that attachs right to the scorpion LLV barrel. I just began to experiment with the Stiplen 90 degree mount. I am a super senior and use a 16 moa dot in the c mores. The scorpion is a great steel challenge pistol and I like the weight (less!) of the 4.5. I have rugers (Mark IIs and IIIs ) and all of my scorpions break down and go back together much easier. Good luck. If you have any specific questions feel free to pm me George

Old 03-19-2017, 05:58 PM
Lucky10

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Anyone know weight difference between the two barrels lengths?
Old 03-19-2017, 09:29 PM
KTGunsmithing
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky10 View Post
New to the forum and fairly new to rimfire. I shot a couple steel challenge matches in my area and have following in love with it. I am looking to purchase a Scorpion and trying to decide between. 4.5 or 6 inch ? My primary usuage will be rimfire open. Also, one draw back that I have is how the takedown is of the Scorpion.
You want the 4 1/2", no doubt there. The VQ lower has an adjustable frame lug so you don't have the sloppy loose or beat it with a hammer fit like the Rugers have.

Mine for steel challenge / NSSF Rimfire Challenge here: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...8&postcount=11 I have a 6" also but it's set up different so I can't give you a weight difference. Another super senior here.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:39 AM
KTGunsmithing
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
I just began to experiment with the Stiplen 90 degree mount.
I did the same but went with an Allchin 90 degree adapter, I think it's still not on his website, you have to call. Look at the pics of my gun. It's different than the Striplin in that it mounts the C-more a little farther forward and a little lower. The Striplin mount puts the C-mores' window on top of the front mounting screw while the Allchin mount puts the window down on the railway base just in front of the front mounting screw. I "reversed" (screw heads on the left) my railway base to put the mounting screws to the rear moving the C-more / adapter farther back. Options.

Last edited by KTGunsmithing; 03-20-2017 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:18 AM
jqunac

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would recommend the 4.5 with the Hi Viz front sight. Not sure if the Comp will do much as recoil is very mild.

Mine went back to Volquartsen after the mounting lug loosened and when it came back the take down is very tight which I now prefer. To clean it I only remove the bolt pin and bolt to access the chamber and barrel which is easy and reduces wear. Most fouling is in this area.

So far I've only practiced with it next week our local steel challenge season begins. I really like the premium feel of it and I'm sure it will improve my scores from last year.

Though I had a problem with mine Volquartsen took care of it quickly and gave me confidence that they will do what ever it takes to satisfy the customer, within reason I'm sure.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:33 PM
gregbenner

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Lucky, both of my Scorpions take down exactly the same as the Ruger Mark 2/3. Once you really understand what the internals are doing, and what causes the issues, field stripping one is not usually difficult (although in my case usually isn't the same as never).

Are the new Scorpions based on the new Ruger Mark IV? If so, takedown should be much simpler. If they aren't, you might want to consider a Mark IV Light instead? I have a TacSol barrel on one of my VCs, I use it for an occasional steel challenge, love the light weight. I might also check to see if Tactical Solutions (TacSol) make a barrel for the Mark IV.

I have upgraded both my Scorpions to steel Clark triggers, would suggest that on either choice. The stock Scorpions are pretty good, but......

Finally, if you do go the Scorpion route, I would definitely go the 4 1/2 barrel.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:13 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (26)
I have a six inch LLV - same barrel, right? Very, very accurate.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:47 AM
Csafisher

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a 4.5'' with a vortex viper reflex sight. I am glad I went with the 4.5". Shooting steel with the red dot is almost too easy, it is a ton of fun! It is also very accurate