The Watering Hole 4-17-2017 - Page 33 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old Today, 12:20 PM
Frank Eagles
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Blackwolfe, how in the heck did I miss you????? Look for a picture that fell behind something like a sofa or something you can't see behind. Have had that happen a couple of times over the years.

Still raining lightly. Wifey's car is now gassed up. "My car needs gas."

Later.

PS: Hamsters must be tired. Site was responding slow. ?????
Old Today, 12:21 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Spent most of the day yesterday at a Long Range Class put on by my Gunsmith and held at VIR (Virginian International Raceway-its a road course) on their 1000 yard range. They've only recently extended it from 800 yards. Its nothing fancy but well set up and Ken (Thumper) Barfield did a great job teaching the course, Ken is a three time State F-Class Champion and two time Regional Champ and has set two NRA Records. He's an excellent young Gunsmith (same age as my son) and obviously a fair to middling shooter, course consists normally of 4 hours of class room (and yes I learned a good bit, and some hacks to speed some things I already "knew") then shoot first at 500 yards to get a good Zero and then on to 800 and 1000. I was pleased that my 6.5 Creedmoor was hanging right at 1/2 MOA with the factory 140 ELD/Match load and held MOA all the way out to 1000, which considering the winds we started getting as Thunderstorms built in the afternoon tickled me to death. I shot some with both the class supplied .308 platforms and hand loaded ammo and my personal 6.5, at 800 and 1000 the 6.5 Creedmoor really showed its ballistic advantage over the .308 but as Ken noted the various 7mm Mags do the same to the 6.5 when you start trying to hold a 2.5 inch X ring at 1000 yards. Had a blast, got a good case of the "redneck"...it was sunny and hot most of the time and I didn't bring a broad brimmed hat.

500 and 800 share a firing line with 500 yard targets set to the left side and 800 to the right, this is the view from that firing line.

Eager anticipation while Thumper is setting up the targets.

Thumper kneeling and Coaching my friend Rob a member here who never posts...

You quickly learn the value of a good spotting scope out there.

This is what we all came for The Thousand Yard line, we got there about 3:00pm and Thunderheads were starting to build and life got real interesting, good coaching and some good shooting ended up giving the class over a 90% hit rate even then. Target are 18"x 20" steel plates and most were able to hold MOA or a bit better with a couple of guys getting down to the 3/4 MOA range...

It's a "fur piece" as we say around here, targets are showing just to the left of the tower.

Get down, get dirty...

I learned my neck surgery a couple of years ago has effectively ended my Prone shooting days, my neck simply will not permit me to get down on a stock for any length of time at all, not complaining, still lots of other ways to enjoy shooting. If you ever get a chance to take a course like this, taught by an truly competent instructor I highly recommend it, great bunch of folks to shoot with, and large time had by all.

Last edited by gmd1950; Today at 12:31 PM.
Old Today, 12:49 PM
Blackwolfe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Good shooting and good long range report.

Old Today, 01:43 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good shooting and long range class report, gmd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
I dislike the Liberty Mutual adverts in general but one that especially sticks in my craw is the one where two teenage boys are stranded on the side of the road because they don't know how to change a flat and their insurance company doesn't offer roadside assistance. So two boys on the verge of manhood are standing there waiting for an adult to change a tire for them because 1) no one ever showed them how to do it and 2) they can't figure it out for themselves. Seems like bad parenting on multiple levels. Teenage boys should be stopping to help me change a flat tire, not waiting for me to come along and show them how to do it
Hah! Had a director at work that tried almost too hard to create a persona of he being a self sufficient mountain man. He grew up in the valley and barely the foothills, plus half of our work related area of responsibility was in the mountains. He had a CJ-5 but it wasn't in the usual configuration if you did at all any hard core four wheeling. Not to speak down on hello kitty but his Jeep was more of a hello kitty Jeep compared to others around here. We have some pretty challenge off road trails just up the hill and second only to those around Lake Tahoe. He also had a Jeep Cherokee as his daily driver but uber stock. So after one weekend he shows up at work with the right front fender on his Cherokee all busted up. His story is that his wife thought their high school son was not manly enough and Dad needed to teach son how to be manly. So dad and son go up into snow that weekend. Dad deliberately sticks Cherokee into snow bank and then ask son how he would extricate said vehicle. He expected son to start digging out vehicle and have a nice father-son experience. Instead son says that he would just call for two truck and wait until it showed up. Son definitely out smarted both mom and dad on that matter.

Last edited by TD1; Today at 01:48 PM.
Old Today, 02:24 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger-Ock View Post
'MUP.

Very glad to be here. Another 1000 mph spin around the old rock while en-route around that drying red dwarf for the 67th time. My carbon components have no complaint this AM so we begin this adventure in good spirits.

Drove my sporty car for several counties, about 120 miles, yesterday. Drivin' rates right up there with shootin'. Never got over 65 and 26 mpg to boot. I sling lead but my foot is not composed of such.

Ambient temp gauge in the dash registered the LWBs prediction of 88 for a brief moment yesterday late in the afternoon as I was wheelin'. Today's outlook is cooler with T-storms.
Happy Birthday Ock. Tis good you got a good day to go for a spin in the hot wheels. Hope you're having a fine one with whomever you like to be with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD1 View Post
Cleaned the Mini-14 via 95% disassembled deep cleaning effort.
You put more rounds thru yours in a day than I have total.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Eagles View Post
Blackwolfe, how in the heck did I miss you????? Look for a picture that fell behind something like a sofa or something you can't see behind. Have had that happen a couple of times over the years.

Still raining lightly. Wifey's car is now gassed up. "My car needs gas."

Later.
I learned how to retrieve our primary abode messages from camp today so the Finn goes out and buys another that she couldn't get to work for an hour. I made the mistake of chirping maybe it needed an hour to charge. chomp!

Great one click range and sunburn report Gerald. Sounds like a good learning time was had by all shooting at a wee little postage stamp in the distance.
You don't need prone anyways, thats what they make $100 shooting sticks for.
Old Today, 02:41 PM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Eagles View Post
bang away with our .410 dingle barrels.
DM eye twitch material!
Good thing the misspeling didn't include replacing barrels with berries!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post

Short attention span? You might see if you can get that turned into a handicap parking placard.
Nee. Just pressed for time this morning, and didn't want to get too fur bee-hynd.

Happy emergence day Ock!