Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:03 PM
Deadeye1305

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Accuracy stinks Ruger American 22lr

My friend purchased the basic RAR with syn stock. We have tried Remington, Eley Target,CCI standard, Norma Match, Federal,Winchester, and SK standard plus and it just won't shoot a group under 3-4" at 50 yards. I told him to purchase a Boyd's replacement stock because of the flimsy syn Ruger stock but he doesn't want to invest anymore money on it. I thought that if we filled the void in the forearm with glass it would stiffen up the forearm so it could be free floated. Has anyone tried this approach? I get 1/2" groups with my CZ and I'm starting to feel bad because he may lose interest.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:15 PM
aguila9
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree with you friend. Those kind of results at 50 yards are not due to the stock. I would have others try and shoot it or shoot it off some bags then if the results are the same start looking at the barrel and crown.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2017, 09:15 PM
22/45 Fan
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Any chance the problem is with your friend rather than the gun? Is he a competent shot? I'd have a proven good shot try it before making any changes.

Does the rifle have a scope mounted? Is it mounted properly and is the mount tight?

Old 04-20-2017, 09:23 PM
Kestrel4k

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
The good thing about 3-4" @ 50yds is that the problem is BIG and should be easy to find.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:30 PM
supersharp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was curious myself is he shooting with a scope mounted or iron sights ?What type of front rest is he using or bipod ,if your shooting off a bench free hand with iron sights there may not be anything wrong with the rifle and yes it could be the shooter!
Old 04-21-2017, 02:58 AM
bladeracer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadeye1305 View Post
My friend purchased the basic RAR with syn stock. We have tried Remington, Eley Target,CCI standard, Norma Match, Federal,Winchester, and SK standard plus and it just won't shoot a group under 3-4" at 50 yards. I told him to purchase a Boyd's replacement stock because of the flimsy syn Ruger stock but he doesn't want to invest anymore money on it. I thought that if we filled the void in the forearm with glass it would stiffen up the forearm so it could be free floated. Has anyone tried this approach? I get 1/2" groups with my CZ and I'm starting to feel bad because he may lose interest.

Do you get better groups with his rifle than he does?
Have you checked torque of the action screws?
How often is he cleaning the bore?
My Compact was only capable of around 2" 10-rd groups at 50m for the first 1000rds, then I started getting 1" groups so I moved out to 100m, and put it into an MDT LSS chassis - and shot my first ever sub-MoA 100m group from any .22LR.

I've tested more than thirty ammo types in mine. Worst by far is Win Long-Z, the best is Eley Edge. CCI Standard Velocity is very good and half the price of the Eley. Remington Cyclone and perhaps four others shoot reasonably well enough for plinking under 50m. The vast majority of ammunition I tested was all shooting around 2" to 2.5" groups at 50m in mine, although their point of impact changes. But I need to complete retesting them all now that the rifle is shooting much better.

I've got more than 1200rds since I last cleaned the bore and it's still shooting brilliantly. When accuracy drops off then I'll clean it.

My Rimfire Target arrives next week and I'll be suitably impressed if it can shoot better than my compact.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:00 AM
DRS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My Ruger American .22 LR rifle was grouping poorly @ 50 yards when I purchased it. What I did was remove the action from the wood stock and re-installed it. I found that the two stock screws were unevenly tighten as when I loosen the front stock screw the barrel sprung out. So I re-installed the barreled action and [EVENLY] tighten both stock screws, then loosen the front screw and didn't feel the barrel move at all, then re-tighten correctly. After this 5-shot groupings @ 50 yards shrunk to .50". You might try this method.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:19 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
I would suggest contacting Ruger about this, their customer service is usually first rate, they'll likely send a pick up tag and have it picked up at your house. Generally quite quickly too.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:55 PM
22/45 Fan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
I would suggest contacting Ruger about this, their customer service is usually first rate, they'll likely send a pick up tag and have it picked up at your house. Generally quite quickly too.
The OP should find out where the problem really is before they send a perfectly good rifle back to Ruger only to find out it wasn't the rifle.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:02 PM
Jammer22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22/45 Fan View Post
The OP should find out where the problem really is before they send a perfectly good rifle back to Ruger only to find out it wasn't the rifle.
It appears the OP hasn't responded with anything and frankly his symptoms are pretty vague. He's tried a lot of ammo... Again why should he have to diagnose the problem vs Ruger.... The people who built it?

Chances are he's going to get a new rifle... Why not let Ruger tell him the problem.

(But I do agree with you.. However nobody thinks that they aren't Davy Crockett so of COURSE it has to be the rifle...)
Old Yesterday, 07:25 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (95)
That would have to be a serious problem to shoot groups that large at 50 yards, I dont think the stock is the problem, its either the shooter or a terrible barrel or bad scope and mount set up. I dont own one of the RAR rifles but I have shot a few of them they do about 3/4" at 50 or a little less depending on ammo and conditions one that belongs to a family member will average .6" at 50 with SK standard.
Old Yesterday, 08:18 AM
ford8nr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
With the plastic (synthetic) stock be very careful of the front bag placement. Closer to the action is better then further out and the bag should stay in the same spot. Moving the bag can cause POI shifts. I did stiffen a Savage plastic stock with 2 aluminum arrow shafts and epoxy. Worked very well for that rifle.
I'd try shooting it with the bags close to the magazine first and see if groups improve.
Old Yesterday, 09:02 AM
Deadeye1305

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thats' why I inquired about glassing the forearm to stiffen it because I think it could be the problem. I've been shooting for years but I never had a plastic stock. With this Ruger there's a lot of flex when any pressure is applied.
Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM
Rodmaker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My RAR 17 hmr was very inaccurate also. Tried different torque settings on the action screws. Free floated it. Tried stiffening the fore end, also. Nothing worked. Sending it back to Ruger DID work. They replaced the rifle. Three week turn around.
Old Today, 10:07 AM
kevlars

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
I have two RAR's. One shooter's kit, and a Predator. Both of them are very accurate. We use bipods on them attached to the factory front sling stud. Good luck. I'm sure it is something Ruger will take care of.

kevlars