Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:02 PM
Hoot

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Lapua Center-X & Chrony Question

Getting close to the start of the local ARA league season up here. I have a question of folks who like and shoot Lapua Center-X. I know you can get lots ranging from 325 m/s through 330 m/s. That is assuming the buzz that the first two digits in the lot number are in fact the last two digits in their speed. 25xxx = 325, 26xxx = 326, 27xxx = 327, etc. Has anyone ever compared those numbers side by side over an actual chrony to see how they compare?

I'm faced with at least starting the league season with the remaining 328 m/s (1076 fps) Center-X that I have on hand. My first two outings left me feeling that despite the box of Wolf ME I had, shooting very good, the Center-X did not and I'm wondering if the speed is the issue. I do know that cases of 325 m/s (1066 fps) Center-X sold out long before the faster lots. I have no idea what speed Wolf ME shoots at. I know that I've never seen it sold by lot speeds.

Thanks,

Hoot
Old 04-09-2017, 06:55 AM
Hi-NV Shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
Getting close to the start of the local ARA league season up here. I have a question of folks who like and shoot Lapua Center-X. I know you can get lots ranging from 325 m/s through 330 m/s. That is assuming the buzz that the first two digits in the lot number are in fact the last two digits in their speed. 25xxx = 325, 26xxx = 326, 27xxx = 327, etc. Has anyone ever compared those numbers side by side over an actual chrony to see how they compare?

I'm faced with at least starting the league season with the remaining 328 m/s (1076 fps) Center-X that I have on hand. My first two outings left me feeling that despite the box of Wolf ME I had, shooting very good, the Center-X did not and I'm wondering if the speed is the issue. I do know that cases of 325 m/s (1066 fps) Center-X sold out long before the faster lots. I have no idea what speed Wolf ME shoots at. I know that I've never seen it sold by lot speeds.

Thanks,

Hoot
Hoot,
I don't own a chrony but here is what I have experience, my rifles all which have a chamber that is optimized for Lapua shoots best with lots that are in the 327 & 328 range, with 327 being the best. which is 1072 fps & 1076 fps I have some X-act which is 326 which doesn't shoot very good compared to the C-X I got from the test center.
even Darrell the test manager thought it odd as we tried some 324 and I told him before the first shot it wouldn't shoot and it didn't. he pointed out that it was only 10 fps difference. 329 doesn't shoot well also.
my advice is test and buy what range of speed shoots the best.
IMO crony results will show any variation in speed between lots but it all comes down to which one shoots best, for me what I see on paper is more important then what I would see on a screen.

Lee
Old 04-09-2017, 04:17 PM
Hoot

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Thanks Lee. Of course, it always gets down to what the rifle likes and what the luck of the draw deals you with lots. The rifle I'm using was just re-barelled and I requested it be chambered for Lapua as well. They have phenomenal adherence to tolerances unlike the Eley Match I've checked. That having been said, if your rifle prefers Eley, it doesn't matter how well the Lapua is made. Never tried going the other way though. My first 3 years of "po mans" BR shooting, I used a Cooper TRP I bought second hand for a steal and it without a doubt, preferred Eley Match. I had always thought they were chambered for Lapua but mine did not like the SK+, Wolf ME or Center-X like it did the Eley.

Hoot

Old 04-09-2017, 06:22 PM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
Thanks Lee. Of course, it always gets down to what the rifle likes and what the luck of the draw deals you with lots. The rifle I'm using was just re-barelled and I requested it be chambered for Lapua as well. They have phenomenal adherence to tolerances unlike the Eley Match I've checked. That having been said, if your rifle prefers Eley, it doesn't matter how well the Lapua is made. Never tried going the other way though. My first 3 years of "po mans" BR shooting, I used a Cooper TRP I bought second hand for a steal and it without a doubt, preferred Eley Match. I had always thought they were chambered for Lapua but mine did not like the SK+, Wolf ME or Center-X like it did the Eley.

Hoot
Hoot,

Please post your results with the new barrel. I know others have being using chambers for Lapua, but it seems I am the only one posting about the results.
I would also be interested if your chamber that was done for Lapua engraves the bullet.
none of mines seems to show any engraving.

Lee
Old 04-09-2017, 09:19 PM
Hoot

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-NV Shooter View Post
Hoot,

Please post your results with the new barrel. I know others have being using chambers for Lapua, but it seems I am the only one posting about the results.
I would also be interested if your chamber that was done for Lapua engraves the bullet.
none of mines seems to show any engraving.

Lee
Will do Lee.
FWIW, when I chamber Center-X they engrave down halfway between the 1st and 2nd cannelure in the bullet. Definitely does not make it to the 2nd. Not sure where in the big picture of rimfire chambers that falls. I know for a fact that Brian (my smith) did not have a "Lapua Specific" reamer. He told me he used a Winchester 52 Match reamer. That's all I know.

Looking at it with the borescope, it was executed as well as I would expect. Little to no step marks. Much smoother than my early 57M TRP chamber. The steps in it looked like a Unibit, just on a macroscopic level. The Wolf and SK as you would expect, engraves to the same midway point as the Center-X.

Sure wish we had a tunnel in town to test in.

Hoot
Old 04-16-2017, 10:19 PM
Hoot

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Four days and counting to league opener! I'm ready...I'm ready!
"gotta stay cool now, gotta take care."

Got the 328 CX dialed in much better than the last outing.

Got enough of the current lot of 328 CX to last the entire season with 1 extra box per match for sighters and a handful of boxes for practice.

Now, just got to get a drummers throne. Made it the last three seasons using an adjustable height office chair. Hard to get it close to the table due to it having 5 long legs. Going to look at a used Roc-N-Soc tomorrow after work. One of the other league shooters uses one and he let me sit on it. Seems pretty stable and comfortable. Almost snagged a like new Pork Pie but hesitated too long and missed out on it. Not totally heart broken as zebra stripes and metal flake never were my style.

Will report in late Thursday or Friday.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:59 AM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Good Luck with the season opener!
Old 04-20-2017, 10:07 PM
Hoot

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Luck did not go so well.

Sunday's Forecast for Thursday: 56 degrees and NW wind 5-10
Monday's Forecast for Thursday: 54 degrees and NW wind 5-10
Tuesday's Forecast for Thursday: 52 degrees and NW wind 10-15
Wednesday's Forecast for Thursday: 49 degrees and NW wind 10-15 Gusts to 25
The actual weather at kickoff: 42 degrees and wind in excess of 15. Our three berm range faces NNW. The wind comes in and swirls inside the berm. I had flags flipping from L-R to R-L as fast as you could reach for the trigger and my tails were between 45 deg and straight out. Could not find a reliable aiming solution to save my life. The few minutes where the wind died down somewhat, rewarded me with easy 100's, but they were few and far between. My scores reflected that. Only one of the four cards made it into the 2xxx range.

I can honestly say that I can not fault the hardware. Otherwise the 10-15 100's over the course of 4 cards (mostly the last one) would not have happened. Moreover, I am living testimony to the fact that optimistic exuberance gets trumped by crazy wind every time. I don't know how you pros turn in such great scores shooting outside in switching, strong winds. My hat's off to you and in my hand. I did indeed, highly enjoy just getting back out there on the firing line, despite hands so cold that they were cramping, numb feet and a runny nose. I shoot with a great group of guys. Most struggled also this afternoon, aside from the two who drew the tables in the "honey hole" leeward end of the line. Their flags barely moved. Luck of the draw. I've been on the receiving end of that as well, so I can't complain. Interestingly, this ratchet 4 groove barrel seemed to shoot the most predictably with the bullet rotating with the wind direction, unlike the conventional 6 groove TRP which historically shot more predictably when the bullet was rotating against the wind direction. That's just a feeling I got after one windy outing, so that can change.

Too early in the season to feel self-loathing. Just that early season awkward, nothing seemed to work, frustration. I was way too eager to get out and just shoot. Cost me in my ability to relax, observe and correct. The up side is I can only get better as the season progresses. Sadly, the next 3 days are supposed to be warm and calm. Anything but how it was today. At least that makes for a good weekend to get spring chores underway, while analyzing how to not make the same mistakes next league night in two weeks.

Humbly admitted to,

Hoot