Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:24 AM
Hippy

TPC Rating: 
86% (5)
Blow Up

Finally got to the range yesterday to fire my 77/22 17 MK2. Had some older lots of Hornady ,CCI,Remington,Eley and New Hornady.
Decided to start with the CCI 1st on the 7th round care erupted at the rim blowing gasses/powder bac into my face destroying the magazine and lodging the bullet in the Barrel.

This is the 1st time in 60 + years of rimfire shooting Hope it is the LAST

Waiting till Monday to get in touch with CCI

Jim
Old 04-16-2017, 01:09 PM
HUSHKABOOM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Glad you are OK! I have some older ammo I should use up this summer. Rotate the old stuff out of the stash.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:05 PM
454ho

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippy View Post
Decided to start with the CCI 1st on the 7th round care erupted at the rim blowing gasses/powder bac into my face destroying the magazine and lodging the bullet in the Barrel.

Unfortunately, if this is the CCI Fast and Furious or any other lot over 10 years old, I doubt CCI will do anything other than offer their apologies because it is out of their warranty period.

Also, CCI is no longer manufacturing 17HM2 under their own brand. They are only manufacturing under contract for Hornady. So even if it was within their warranty period, they have no ammo to replace it with.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:51 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
blow up

Glad to hear you weren't injured.

Was this a original Ruger 77/17 mach2 model or a 77/22 with a replacement 17mach2 barrel?
Old 04-17-2017, 08:51 AM
razerface
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippy View Post
Finally got to the range yesterday to fire my 77/22 17 MK2. Had some older lots of Hornady ,CCI,Remington,Eley and New Hornady.

This is the 1st time in 60 + years of rimfire shooting Hope it is the LAST

Jim
i would say it is the rifles or your fault. A 77 is a bolt action yes? You hit it with the bolt too hard out of battery? Your firing pin went off before battery?

Something odd in this story. With the bolt closed so you can pull the trigger, how did it hurt your magazine? How did you get it in the face? That hm2 is not gonna blow out the bolt, especially if the round stuck in the barrel.

Last edited by razerface; 04-17-2017 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:01 AM
Hippy

TPC Rating: 
86% (5)
To answer the questions YES it is a Factory Mk2 BBL RazerFace=as to how it blew the magazine out of the rifle I have NO IDEA but it did and the BOLT was locked into the action with NO extra force to close .

I am going to try and post pictures--The Gunsmith was able to remove the Bullet from the barrel it was in approximately 3.5". My borescope will only fit 20 Cal and Larger BUT the bore looks good with no apparent bulge

Jim
Old 04-17-2017, 09:59 AM
sicumj
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've had the same thing happen to me. Everyone is quick to call OOB but after experimenting I could only replicate with a specific lot purchased in 2004. My conclusion was old ammo brass.

Last edited by sicumj; 04-18-2017 at 07:55 AM.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:30 AM
Nobody
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
There should have been no damage/bulge in the bore, & the bullet was probably only 'friction' tight in the bore. With the 'explosion' occurring in (& blowing out) the rim of the cartridge case, & the 77 boltface being 'open' at the bottom, all (most?) of the force/gas should have been directed downward (through the magazine well), hence destruction of the magazine. Some of the 'gas' probably also was directed rearward through the bolt raceway but it should have been inconsequential. Also, the 'stuck' bullet may well have stopped of its own accord when the 'push' was spent by most of the 'gas' going out through the magwell. Bet your gunsmith didn't have to push very hard to remove the stuck bullet. Was the bullet approx 3.5" from the muzzle or the chamber? I'm kinda surprised the 'gas' didn't also damage/blow out the extractors??

Sorry for your bad luck but I'm glad you weren't injured.

Several years ago I had a couple of boxes of 17HM2, CCI Brand, that had 'cracks' in a large %age of the cases (some from the case mouth nearly to the rim. I took photos & sent them to CCI (they were still mfging & labeling Mach2 ammo then). I also posted pix & the experience here on RFC. They (CCI) apologized & sent me 2 boxes of new ammo. I only used the CCI (& Hornady) for practice as my rifle(s) shoot Eley much better, & I 'laid in' a goodly supply before Eley stopped production of Mach2. Never had very good performance from Remington (tho they were supposed to have been mfg'd by Eley) or Federal so I never 'stocked' much. Haven't acquired any of the new production Hornady so I don't know if it performs better than before. All my Eley Mach2 is old stock & still performs well in my rifles...
Old 04-17-2017, 12:17 PM
razerface
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
. With the 'explosion' occurring in (& blowing out) the rim of the cartridge case, & the 77 boltface being 'open' at the bottom, all (most?) of the force/gas should have been directed downward (through the magazine well), hence destruction of the magazine.
ah, i will look at the bolt on a 77 tonite. I have not heard of the hm2 exploding at the rim,,just the cracking up front.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:49 AM
Hippy

TPC Rating: 
86% (5)
Pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-04-17 16.02.16.jpg (436.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 2017-04-17 16.02.34.jpg (371.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 2017-04-17 16.02.52.jpg (380.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 2017-04-17 16.03.10.jpg (480.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 2017-04-17 16.05.45.jpg (355.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 04-20-2017, 11:14 AM
22banger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
24,000 psi

Glad you OK Hippy. This is what 24,000 PSI looks like when it goes the wrong direction. PSI means every square inch of volume has 24k psi in and on the surface of whatever the psi is in. We shoot firearms with 60,000 plus psi, these are huge and violent pressures that are very dangerous obviously and if it goes wrong, there is gonna be a mess. Be careful.