Does leaving magazines loaded hurt the springs? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:33 PM
dufferDave
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Ooops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider357 View Post
Magazines are fairly inexpensive so have two or three and rotate them occasionally or just keep a revolver under your bed. End of problem.
Revolvers use springs too.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:56 PM
Outrider
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas34474 View Post
Ever hear of Charles's Law? It says that Murphy was an optimist!
And Charles was right.

Maybe that is why magazine springs once in awhile malfunction even without breaking.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:51 AM
NetDoc
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Skype™ to NetDoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas34474 View Post
Ever hear of Charles's Law? It says that Murphy was an optimist!
Actually, there is a real "Charles' Law" and it has to do with how much inert gas can be absorbed by a liquid. It's something technical divers have to deal with.

While Murphy was an optimist, you should know that it was originally "Murray's Law"... but there was a typo at the printers.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:43 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My 1945 Hi-Standard has had a loaded mag for 72yrs now and still works great. A lot of what you see nowdays is more likely from cheaper materials being used!
Old 03-21-2017, 11:54 AM
douglas34474
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Very early I life I worked with a watch maker. We had watches come in that had springs in them over 100 years old, some older. Although some of the springs loaded and unloaded every second, they had done so over 100 years without getting "weak." We could tell when the springs were shot, they broke.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:21 PM
rjferber
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I do not keep "any" of my rimfire magazines loaded & stored, but understand the potential need to do that. On my centerfire pistols, I again do not keep any of them loaded with the exception of my home defense and concealed carry pistols, which are always loaded but I tend to keep them one round short of capacity as I have a minimum of two addition at the ready. Same goes for any rifles and shot guns with the exception of the home defense Remington 870 - which has one round of 00 buck in the chamber and five in the tube.

I will rotate the rounds monthly, unloading and reloading, as well as occasional practice and thus far have not seen any issues.

I guess that is a throw back from Vietnam days as we never loaded our 20 round mags to full capacity . . . we usually loaded a couple rounds short for longer term storage. . . under the direction of our leadership.