100% (21)

Okay,,,I want one again.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:04 AM
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
7-30 Waters....Read yesterday the great man passed

Ken Waters 1917 - 2017. 99+ years. He had a great life and lived it well to the end. We can only hope to do nearly as well. As was said about another man I had huge respect for "A life well lived".

No gun writer influenced me more than this fine man. He DID write the book when it came to handloading. April Handloader magazine announced this. He was a Contender lover and knew both Ken Thompson and Warren Center well. Few centerfire factory rounds work better in a Contender than the 7-30 Waters does. Not an accident even though he also used a lever rifle to develop the round as to be successful it needed to be more widely useful.

Sorry for the thread drift but when I saw 7-30 Waters memories came flooding back and I had to tell any of you that care.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 03-20-2017, 08:53 PM
Nobody
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Thanks Vince for the info, sad tho some of it is. Mr Ken definitely had a 'life well lived'. I have been enamored of the 7-30 waters since I first read about it in one of my outdoor magazines 40-45years ago. I 'built' my Contender Carbine with the stainless barrel from a forum member in 2007. Build purpose was to be a pronghorn antelope rifle for SE Montana (spire point bullets don't limit range as much as 'round nose) but we weren't able to 'draw in' on tags again. Hunted (in Oct 2006) with a 7X57 Mauser that I built from an Oberndorf 6.5X55 Swede action & a cheap Midway barrel. I've since 'gifted' my son with that rifle & he loves it. I always liked it except for the 'cock on closing' action. I've killed lotsa whitetail deer with the Contender Carbine 7-30 & sure would have liked to take it to Montana on a pronghorn hunt. Age has about precluded that goal so I'll let one of the grandkids make that pilgrimage if they are so minded. Otherwise it'll probably go on killing whitetail deer...

Thanks again Vince for the memories.

Last edited by Nobody; 03-20-2017 at 08:58 PM.