Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Ebay 10/22 stock thread

50K views 402 replies 48 participants last post by  CD2 
#1 · (Edited)
There are a few of us here on RFC who collect odd, rare and unique 10/22 stocks, and lately... ebay is the best place to find them. A few guys have shown interest in having a place where one of us can call dibs on a stock that they "have to own" so we aren't driving the price up on eachother unknowingly. Obviously this will be on the honor system, but if more than one person really wants it...anything is fair in war ;), just let it be known beforehand.

This post will be the place to stake your claim, share links for others who may be looking for that one unique stock, or trade some friendly banter about stock scores that they've recently made. Feel free to post links to auctions, pictures of stocks that you've found, claim an auction as one you really would like to own, tips and tricks that you use to find unique stocks, before and after restoration photos of eBay scores, or anything related to this subject.

#2 ·
Ok, to start it off...I almost hate to share this tip, because I've used it to score a handful of gorgeous stocks with 0 bids.

The keyword search...keep it vague. I always search for "10/22 stock", and instead of keeping the search criteria as best match, go to newly listed. It'll take a while to look through everything the first time, but eventually you'll get to the point where you'll recognize the stocks you've already looked at, and just have to look over the first page or two to see the new ones. Call me obsessive, but I usual look once sometime in the morning, and again in the evening.

Ok, now to the tip. Like mentioned, I always search for "10/22 stock", that by far will give you the best search results. But every once in a while, somebody lists their auction as "1022 stock", if there is no space, dash, or anything in between the 10 and 22, you won't see the auctions in the search results if you searched for "10/22, 10-22, 10 22, etc".

So just by searching "1022 stock", you'll only get a few results...but sometimes a gem is hidden there.

My $30 find using that tip, 0 bids, original walnut stock, metal buttplate.

And after refinishing...

#4 ·
That one was pretty rough, I had to sand it down completely, steam some dents out, reshape the forend because it was cracked, and then I finish sanded down to 1000 grit. After that, just tru oil finish. I start with applying a few coats, then sand it down with 2000 grit. Repeat that process until all of the pores in the wood are filled, and then a few more light coats if thinned down tru oil with mineral spirits.

#7 ·
Nice looking stock Langsford. I can't really tell if it is walnut, birch or beech. They don't have the blowup feature on it so I can get a better look.
Anyone interested in it? I don't need it but will bid if none of you guys are going to play. Looks to be in really good shape.

Advise,

billy

#25 · (Edited)
This mornings ebay score...

Over the past few years, I've bought 3 stocks from eBay seller "beever156", he makes custom stocks for all kinds of rifles and sells them on eBay. A few days back, I checked his ebay store, but didn't find any for the 10/22...so I sent him a message to see if he had any on the shelf, I was looking for something unique for a new build for my wife.

He replied that he did, one being a tiger maple target stock. So he set up a buy it now auction for me, and I jumped on it.

Pics of the score...

I like the blonde look of the maple, but I LOVE the dark brownish/red with black stripes that the old muzzle loaders with maple stocks have. So I'll be doing some research on this one, may be darkening this one up a bit.

So to keep in line with the theme of this thread, here are a few tips. Keep an eye on sellers stores, beever156 for 10/22 stuff and don't be afraid to send a message to see if they have anything not currently listed available.

#26 ·
Langford,

That is supper nice! I just lately feel in love with maple stocks for a 10/22. Built many for my muzzleloading rifles but none otherwise. If you want a darker stock, which I like, you can see a few on my Beauty or beast thread. I use a special stain which I posted. If you do decide to go that route, I can offer you some advise.

I'm working on a tiger maple 10/22 stock now. Maybe I can post some pics later.

Really nice gun handle there my friend. Just don't tuen it into an arrow tosser, please!

billy

#28 ·
These aren't factory stocks, so they use some type of plastic buttplate...not sure what would be compatible with these. I really liked the coloring on the one in your thread, I'd love to do this one similar. Is there a place I can order that stain online or is it local or call to order only?

#29 ·
Langford,
I have a stock I bought from Beaver a while back. It is the one I'm showing in my thread Beauty or Beast in the Making or modifying thread.
You can buy the stain on line I believe. I told another guy what it was and he ordered it and did a stock and knife with it. Go to that thread and all the info is there. Where he bought it and so forth. It is called Magic Maple. It's under Stock making and Modifying.

The butt plate from Beaver doesn't do these stocks justice. That is why I replaced mine with a Ruger sporter that I ordered from Ruger. About $ 15 bucks as I recall.
If you do order that stain, allow me to offer up some tips.

#32 ·
Well...lightning struck again. During my morning ebay check, I saw this beauty, and couldn't pass it up. It'll make a perfect stock for a "sleeper" build I want to do for my son...factory appearing, but a good shooter. He's only 15 months old right now, so I've got some time to gather the parts ;)

And for the time being, I'm done...you guys won't have to worry about bidding competition from me any time soon. I'll just be posting links here to nice ones I find.

#33 ·
Danv,

I didn't bid on the stock because I couldn't get a clear idea what Georgia was doing. Looked to me like he/she was still bidding so I held off. It went for just about what I thought it would.

Langsford,

Where did you find that beauty? I never saw that one and looked a lot.
Very, very nice. Is it maple ?

Good find my man, you do know where the secret spots are at. Now that you are out for a while, clue me in before Iron gets back!!!! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.