Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Henry Golden Boy Octagon barrel - Not sure what to do

5K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  Broadus 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a NIB Henry Golden Boy w / Octagon barrel, they may all be like this, I have very little knowledge of Henry rifles other than their great reputation. Anyway, my Dad handed this rifle down to me when he became very ill. He purchased it from another individual, private transaction, so it is not registered in my Dad's name. Upon close examination it appeared the receiver cover had some "flaking" around some of the sharp edges. I contacted Henry, I explained the same situation I just described and the person I spoke with sent me a new cover for it. After putting on the new cover I noticed alot of deterioration on the part of the receiver where the serial number is. Once again I contacted Henry asking if there was anything they could do, this time I was told I would need to send the rifle back to the company so their gunsmith could look it over. If it was determined it could be covered under warranty they would replace the entire rifle. I asked what they would do with this rifle if they replaced it; DESTROY IT!! I don't want a new rifle, I just want the part of the receiver that has the damage on it to be replaced. I even offered to send the damaged part to them and let them send the new part of the receiver to a FFL holder so I could transfer it into my name since it has a serial number on it- NO. I appreciate the fact that Henry wants to stand by their product but I see no need in destroying a perfectly good rifle. What would you do? I don't want a new rifle if they would cover this one under warranty, it's a new rifle as it is but just needs a new part. At the same time I want a new rifle to look new. Thanks for everyone's input.

See less See more
#4 ·
the big problem here is they must abide by federal law - if they replace the receiver which is the serial numbered part they have certain protocols they must follow , as much as you might want this one fixed they may not be able to accommodate , you could try a local gunsmith for repairs , seems the factory has treated you very well considering you are not the original purchaser ,

#6 ·
Henry is trying to do the right thing and getting your rifle up to specs. However, it sounds like the rifle may have some sentimental value, and that can be difficult for a manufacturer to work around.

Send the gun to Henry with a note that says you'd like the piece fixed, but if it can't be fixed, to return the rifle as it has sentimental value. Beware, if Henry determines the issue is a safety issue, they will replace the gun and keep the old one. In this day of litigation, I can't blame them.

Another alternative is to go to a local gunsmith and see what they can do. It will be on your dime of course, but you'll have more control.

So far, it sounds like Henry is giving 5 Star service, which I hear is quite common for them.

#8 ·
Thanks to everyone for your replies and input. I, in no way, am blaming Henry for anything. Honestly I was shocked they would even consider replacing the rifle, both in a good way and bad. As to a safey issue, the only problem with the rifle is the finish. The good shock is they would go to the length of replacing the rifle. The bad shock is two fold; I would prefer to keep the rifle --- also I was trying to be thoughtful of the Henry company economically. Just replacing the part is fine with me. Anyway, I guess I'll send it in and see what happens. Thanks again.

#11 ·
I'm confused about what part of the rifle is blemished. The most common part folks want to refinish or replace on a Golden Boy is the receiver cover. The receiver cover is just that- a cover. You can easily purchase a new one from Henry.

If the part that's blemished has the serial number on it, then I agree with other posters- don't worry about it. The receiver IS the gun. Replace that, and you no longer have your dad's rifle.

#12 ·
I'm confused about what part of the rifle is blemished. The most common part folks want to refinish or replace on a Golden Boy is the receiver cover. The receiver cover is just that- a cover. You can easily purchase a new one from Henry.

If the part that's blemished has the serial number on it, then I agree with other posters- don't worry about it. The receiver IS the gun. Replace that, and you no longer have your dad's rifle.
You must have missed this part of his original post.
After putting on the new cover I noticed alot of deterioration on the part of the receiver where the serial number is.

#16 ·
The issues with the rifle are strictly cosmetic. I guess one of the reasons I even considered looking into Henry Rifles repairing the rifle is because from the first day my Dad bought / traded for the rifle, he was disappointed to find the "flaking" / deterioration of the gold coating after a much closer inspection. In his later years his physical ailments forced him to be more trusting of the people he bought and traded with. The vast majority of the time all went well, but on occasion, he missed something and would find it later. He always wanted one of these rifles and was very proud when he acquired this one, then his excitement turned to a degree of disappointment. Especially considering the rifle is "NIB". So when he handed it down to me I was hoping to remedy what was a disappointment to him. That's it. After reading everyone's replies, having the rifle he gave me is much more important than having a different rifle that has no issues. Thanks.

#17 ·
I would also keep the rifle for sentimental reasons. It was your father's rifle which is the important thing if it is safe to use.

Being sentimental, I have never fired my father's rifle or my grandfathers revolver. The rifle was passed on to my grandson, but the revolver is kept in the safe in immaculate condition.

#22 ·
It adds character

LEAVE IT ALONE!.... ....that's my opinion. My daughter bought my golden boy for me. I treasure that gun! We shoot together almost weekly. She will be the recipient of my golden boy when I'm done and gone. I was talking about 2 scratches that I have on the gun, and how I might want to repair them. Her answer to me (as the upcoming owner): Dad, leave it alone, the scratches and any other imperfection that you have on it when I get it only adds character. Those imperfections are part of what is going to make it MY DADS gun when I get it. Leave it alone, appreciate the look of that gun as it is. The imperfections are part of its life along the way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.