Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:30 PM
DrThunder88
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I've shot Rifleman with a 452 Special, Savage Mk II, andójust this weekendóa 452 Ultra Lux. The CZs were equipped with Williams and Tech Sights respectively. I've never run into a short stroking problem with my rifles, but run the bolt pretty hard. I advise you to get in the habit of doing so too. Don't baby your bolt! It's also important to note that it is possible to get over 210 without shooting all 40 shots. In fact, I dropped one or two in the second stage of the first AQT this weekend. Make them count!

I also shot mine using the stock sling swivels and a modified AK/SKS sling that I set up to use as a loop sling. I'm just odd like that though. Replacing the swivels with QD swivel studs, QD 1.25" swivels, and a GI sling would probably be better in the long run.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:15 PM
MacGhillemohr
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have found that success with a bolt action depends on good NPOA and smooth operation of the bolt and not fussing the shot on the rapid fire stages.

I strive for 100's on the 400 stage and take my time on the standing...50's are not uncommon for me at the 100.

NPOA is critical for hammering the targets, but in my opinion even more so in the rapid fire stages when you don't have time to fuss your shot, in these stages, align your sights, squeeze the trigger, work the bolt, align sights, squeeze! I usually shoot in the high 40's on both of them using this technique. Perfect is the enemy of good enough.

One more thing, shooting a Rifleman score with a bolt action, even if a 210, is quite an accomplishment!
Old 04-23-2017, 09:56 PM
Kennebago
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptic2 View Post

As far as advice goes - after my first event, I had to figure out what position was the best combination of stability and speed for Stage 2. I made score that first Sunday, but Stage 2 was rough.

Dryfiring in preparation for a possible KD this year with my 700, I've been going open-legged. My working theory with a bolt action is that you want to be down and shooting as quickly as possible due to your speed disadvantage. You simply cannot take forever to get into a good cross-legged position, find NPOA, and then powerhuff through your string to beat the clock.

Only other thing would be to think like a bolt gunner. Any time you're not actively pressing the trigger is working time. Working the bolt, working NPOA, etc. Work through your breathing cycle. You should ideally need one breath to drop your mag and reload.

There are only so many breaths you can fit into an AQT stage, which means you can only do so much work. You want to hug the curve on them as aggressively as possible. Look for economies of motion and stay synched with your breathing. Dominate your bolt to claw back precious seconds.

This is a big-time zen exercise. The desired end-state is fudōshin.

Old Yesterday, 07:28 AM
soulman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Do it!
Shot Rifleman at my first Appleseed on first day with my Dad's 1940 Winchester 75, and again on Sunday with his 1941 Remington 1941 513-T.
Bolt is harder, but more satisfying.

If it was over 100 degrees when you shot it they gave the "Infernoseed" patch...

Old Yesterday, 05:27 PM
MacGhillemohr
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulman View Post
Do it!
Shot Rifleman at my first Appleseed on first day with my Dad's 1940 Winchester 75, and again on Sunday with his 1941 Remington 1941 513-T.
Bolt is harder, but more satisfying.

If it was over 100 degrees when you shot it they gave the "Infernoseed" patch...

Excellent! Love the rifles!