Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 06:33 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Eagles View Post
Rainy and 54 degrees. Flood watch is in effect for next two days. 4 to 6 inches of rain guessed. Guess garden will be rained in. Not suppose to get much warmer than the temp now.

Same here, except we have flood warning. We're at 6" plus since Friday. Thank goodness we are on a hill. Broke out the scuba gear in case the water gets up here.

Gordon

Shhhh, I'm not here.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:20 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Watering Hole 4-17-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post

I have a neighbor like that... couple mile over neighbor. He is totally helpless. Some critter breaks off one of his lawn irrigation risers. He calls his neighbor to fix it for him. He says "I just never learned to do that sort of thing." What I hear is "I don't want to be bothered with sitting down and figuring it out." None of it is hard. You just have to tell yourself you can do it then just do it. Still haven't figured out what motivated him to relocate to the Raggedy Edge where fiercely independent self-sufficient semi-hermits dwell. He pretty much just sleeps here, though, and spends a lot of his time driving back and forth to the big city.
I have had neighbors like that. Just will not learn how to use simple tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
I dislike the Liberty Mutual adverts in general but one that especially sticks in my craw is the one where two teenage boys are stranded on the side of the road because they don't know how to change a flat and their insurance company doesn't offer roadside assistance. So two boys on the verge of manhood are standing there waiting for an adult to change a tire for them because 1) no one ever showed them how to do it and 2) they can't figure it out for themselves. Seems like bad parenting on multiple levels. Teenage boys should be stopping to help me change a flat tire, not waiting for me to come along and show them how to do it!
I made sure the wife, both sons and all four grand kids know how to do basic auto maintenance. Change a flat, change oil, etc. Helped a guy years ago get his old (new to him) truck started. Screwdriver and a matchbook to reset the points. Five minutes and he was on his way. Still pull off and help when I see someone in trouble.

Gordon

Shhhh, I'm not here.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:28 PM
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Been raining for the last 5 hours.

Porkypine (the kat) is softly snoring on my lap.

Big pot of sketties on the stove...

Vietnam Vet; NRA Life Member; NRA Distinguished Expert Rifle; NRA Instructor Pistol

Old 04-23-2017, 07:56 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Range Report and Explosion...

Well, today marked the first time the S&W 22-A1 went outdoors and had a serious workout. I had some CCI AR-Tactical (wooo....) some Federal Gold Medal and some Federal Auto-Match bulk. Also some SK Standard plus and 20 rounds of eley yellow in a partly-used box.

Luckily, it became very apparent that it really didn't care much what was in it as long as it was subsonic. And the supersonic (AR-Tac) was not far behind anyway. Happy, happy, joy, joy! I can use cheaper ammo without sacrificing accuracy unless I'm really being anal about things. No jams, no hiccups, no dropped mags due to the strange placement of the release button - flawless performance and maximum fun.

The explosion? Heh! That was one of the RSOs, and rightly so. I was at the DEM range, which requires the same short test on "How to shoot a gun" you need to take for a hunting license, and a safety briefing at the range to observe others and be taught the basics - mostly safety as it is assumed you will not need instruction on how to fire your own gun. Today, one of last weeks' incoming batch brought his AR-lookalike 22 down to practice, and decided in the middle of a "range is cold" period, to remove the rifle from the bench, swing it around so that we were all covered at some point, then (while the RSO was shouting at him to put it down and take his finger OUT of the trigger guard) swung it back the other way to put it in its case - which was pointing sideways along the firing line - covering us all again.

I have never seen an RSO completely purple in the face. He tore up the guy's range pass, swore on his mother's grave he would NEVER get another, and said if he saw him again even as a "guest" of someone at the range he wold kick him out...

I thought he was fairly restrained considering, but the rest of the morning was not as entertaining.

It is VERY rare to have this happen before 9:30 on a Sunday. That is the time when the safety briefing ends and the newbs can grab a gun out of their car and put their new passes to use. The "regulars" tend to move off the line to the shotgun area or the archery area then - just to be out of the firing line.

"We have met the enemy, and he is us." - Pogo
Old 04-23-2017, 08:07 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
You put more rounds thru yours in a day than I have total.
It made for an uber fun day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay View Post
First flat I ever changed,I snapped a bolt on the left rear of the old dodge (left hand thread) Pop was thrilled!
My Brother did that to my utility trailer last time he borrowed said trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Range Report and Explosion...
Most interesting report of sorts, SD.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:13 PM
wookness
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Recall an SCCA race some score ago where the lug nuts were not tightened on an MG of the underpowered, unremarkable and ugly mid 50's generation; it cut the centre of the steel wheel out after a few laps and subsequently went aground. Once returned to the pit via wrecker, the fervent crew asked wot had happened. The owner/driver responded, "Too much power, boys!" The remembrance still makes me laugh. They were pitted next to us, so I heard that first hand. Some folks know no shame and live fully in the glory of it. Charlatan is a fair label, most o' the time. Their groupies, darn fools mostly.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:38 PM
Steve in IN

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Happy Birthday Ock. ... ...
Is that what he meant by all those rambling gibberish metaphors?

Happy birthday, ock.

Quote:
... I missed a r. ...
That should be "an r."

After visiting my mother, I spent 45 minutes picking up sticks then 1.5 hrs. mowing my lawn/ meadow for the first time. A few patches of grass were over a foot tall but most is too shady to grow much other than a variety of weeds that weren't too thick.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:43 PM
wookness
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Wish that I'd been w/you yesterday, Gerald. Only battery I had contact w/needed replacement. Looks like youse guys had a great time! I'd be envious, but that's not a good trait to develop so I shan't. Unnerstan' now more of the why for that neat 6.5 Creedmoor build. Will you do more F Class shooting as a result? I'd hope so. Pretty range! When we had one that distance at Mineral Wells, it was never remotely that green. Just rocks and hard pan, but it was a fine range nonetheless. Politicks kilt it, but one learns to never say never. Hope springs eternal among the believers, eh? Thanks for sharing your rewarding time and appraisal of the merits of participating in a class on the sport.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:50 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in IN View Post
After visiting my mother, I spent 45 minutes picking up sticks then.......
Are you sure it wasn't 56 minutes you were picking up sticks?
Old 04-23-2017, 09:31 PM
cmr13

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had a doughnut on Friday, and I had a doughnut (sliced in half with ice cream in the middle) on Saturday.

It was a good weekend hanging out with good friends.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:35 PM
cmr13

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just so you all know, I'm probably going to take a bit of a break from RFC again, even though I don't post that much at all. I feel like I've just been posting only depressing stuff lately, and this is supposed to be a happy drivelling place! I'm not sure when/if I'll be back, but I'll try to check in occasionally! Thanks everyone!
Old 04-23-2017, 09:38 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

United Health Care
I've heard it ill spoken of here also.

Good RSO range detonation report Sails.

Sorry for the open door Don. I thought it'd be refreshing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in IN View Post
After visiting my mother, I spent 45 minutes picking up sticks then 1.5 hrs. mowing my lawn/ meadow for the first time. A few patches of grass were over a foot tall but most is too shady to grow much other than a variety of weeds that weren't too thick.
If you can chop up the sticks with the mower it'll keep the grass from building up too much on the housing beneath, all within reason, hence allowing the blades to pull the grass up for cutting efficiently.

Bummer about the Bruins last game Rhody but one does have to wonder why some of the dumb stuff they did in the play-offs wasn't coached out of them previously, no offense.
I'm hockey'd out for the day, 3-10pm mostly..

Billions.

31˚
Old 04-23-2017, 09:46 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmr13 View Post
Just so you all know, I'm probably going to take a bit of a break from RFC again, even though I don't post that much at all. I feel like I've just been posting only depressing stuff lately, and this is supposed to be a happy drivelling place! I'm not sure when/if I'll be back, but I'll try to check in occasionally! Thanks everyone!
Whatever you think best but its not all milk and cookies here, you must've missed the good stuff on Steve. If you do best wishes and good luck.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:49 PM
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:

Goodby Montreal, you gave it your all as did the Wild. You too Hawks but you didn't give it all. Swept by non yankees. Gaaaah!
The Bruins are trading in the hockey sticks for golf clubs after today's miserable end in OT! Stupid penalties will do that to ya!

Quote:
65x250=16,250 rounds Rhody!
Thanks, I never would have put in that much effort to count them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwolfe View Post
Happy Birthday Ock! Wishing you many more orbits.
Happy Birthday Ock!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD1 View Post
: Having a portable light helps when crawling underneath a vehicle. My now favorite five dollar from HF flash light is this palm size twenty-seven LED bulb goody.
I get a free one of those every time I go to HF. Seems that a coupon for 'em arrives a couple of times per month! I think I have about 8 of them, and have given away as many! That magnetic backing makes them perfect for sticking them under the hood when working on anything in that engine compartment!

Great long range shooting report Gerald!

See ya around cmr13. Try to stay positive!

Oh, and FLIP!

R