Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:44 PM
JOHNB9
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
1517 MPR barrel channel

Quick question, how much clearance do you have under the barrel? I can fit a dollar bill folded in half, double thick or a mailer post card found in magazines. Not sure if over years has gotten less? Is barrel drop ever an issue?
Old 04-16-2017, 04:48 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A free floated barrel should accommodate the dollar bill between it and the barrel channel. The barrel should not droop; if it does it suggests a problem with the action screws/bedding.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:35 AM
JOHNB9

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Found the action screws got loose. Even after tighten the rear screw first, the front? part of the barrel was barely floating. After shooting a few groups, the barrel was touching, and accuracy went away.

I bedded the stock in front of the front action screw with double sided stick tape, basically pastic. Now I have a nice clearance. Only thing I can figure is after 10 years of perfect performance, the stock warped or swelled. Hopefully back to shooting one hole groups, only the range will tell.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:44 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNB9 View Post
Found the action screws got loose. Even after tighten the rear screw first, the front? part of the barrel was barely floating. After shooting a few groups, the barrel was touching, and accuracy went away.

I bedded the stock in front of the front action screw with double sided stick tape, basically pastic. Now I have a nice clearance. Only thing I can figure is after 10 years of perfect performance, the stock warped or swelled. Hopefully back to shooting one hole groups, only the range will tell.
Imo a dollar bill isn't enough clearance. For me I like at least a business cards worth of clearance and it has to pass through smoothly. Stocks do change with temperature and sometimes can move permanently. Perfect candidate to pillar and glass bed. Was the barrel centered in the channel but touching only on the bottom or was it favoring one side of the stock?
Old 04-21-2017, 11:10 AM
JOHNB9

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Barrel was centered. Was touching bottom of barrel a few inches from the foreend. Now I have a nice say 1/8 of inch clearance. This should solve issue. This rifle is/was so accurate, it could put 3 shots in to what looks like a single 22 cal hole at 50 yards. at 100 hitting? a dime was barely a challenge, only factor is wind. Will be very easy to tell is rifle is back to normal.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:54 AM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
98% (49)
"Only thing I can figure is after 10 years of perfect performance, the stock warped or swelled."
More likely that the stock compressed a bit,due to the tension of the action screws,(why pillars are a solution) though stocks can also shift or be affected by humidity..
Old 04-21-2017, 12:17 PM
JOHNB9

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ahh compressed, finally makes sense. The stock under the action compressed, lossening the action screws. Since the action now sits lower, the barrel was touching. Hopefully my front pillar solves the issue. Thanks.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:58 PM
John23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quality hunting rifle a nice small perfect contour matching gap that allows the barrel to float and look smart .

Target rifle , ****ing big massive gap to ensure free floating and to allow air in and heat out .
Old 04-23-2017, 12:57 AM
John23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
strange ^^^
My word post got censored but I did
not use a bad word .

Now it looks like I did use a bad world... lol
Old 04-23-2017, 01:19 AM
Andyd
Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
strange ^^^
My word post got censored but I did
not use a bad word .

Now it looks like I did use a bad world... lol
The moderators can read minds with the help of a new Google app and did a pre-emptive strike.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:58 PM
JOHNB9

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I decided not to mess around. I am sanding the barrel channel with a c cell battery wrapped in sand paper, fit perfectly. The barrel will have a nice big space around it. I will seal the channel with a water seal stain to keep moisture from the wood.

My only question now is torque on the action screws. I know to tighten the rear screw first. I will hold screwdriver with just thumb and fingers to avoid over tighten. Just nice an snug. Do any of you use a torque wrench?
Old 04-23-2017, 03:08 PM
John23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Don't really bother with torque wrenches anymore .

I believe my Annie would have been done up to around 10-15 "Lb
After glass bedding I believe I had a little bit less .

Since i have gone glued in and can have zero tension on the action screws .
They now serve as trigger guard screws .

I am now converted and will be glueing more often.