Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-17-2017, 12:40 PM
Triggershoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
BB 7-2 Toggle Pin

Fellow 7-2 owners--- with each range trip, I have been noticing that the pin securing the articulating pieces/parts of the toggle has been trying to work it's way out of the joint. Not much, mind you, but enough that the bottom of the pin starts to contact the receiver when the toggle is closed. I have been simply carefully pressing the pin back into place with a smooth faced parallel-jawed plier. Prior to the most recent range outing, I decided to degrease the pin/joint to the extent possible (without disassembly) and try a drop of 609 (the "wicking" type) Loctite on the exposed ends of the pin, in the hopes this would work itself in and augment the obviously VERY light press fit. Didn't work... Still had movement... To fix once and for all, I fashioned a replacement pin using a sacrificial #7 drill bit shank and carefully polishing it down until I reached the desired diameter. The original pin miked 0.197" and I made the replacement pin about 1/2 thousandths larger at 0.1975". She's definitely got some press fit NOW! Problem solved. Just wondered if any of you have had any similar problem with that articulating joint pin working it's way out, or am I just the only "lucky" one here?? Also, does anyone have any comments on whether the drill bit shank (High-Speed steel) was a good choice for fashioning this pin? It's what I had laying around.... I think it should be OK, but the original pin seemed just a bit harder. Thanks guys---'Shoe
Old 05-18-2017, 04:24 PM
Silas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't think I've ever actually examined the evil pin you speak of on any of my toggle action stuff. That's a bummer that yours was a dud. I seriously doubt that the factory pin had any kind of magical properties, your drill bit fix is probably way harder than the original pin. I wonder if “Hard” is really what you should be shooting for. Given the choice of wearing the pin or the toggle my vote is for the pin. A pin made from something soft & crappy might be the way to go.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:29 PM
Triggershoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas View Post
I don't think I've ever actually examined the evil pin you speak of on any of my toggle action stuff. That's a bummer that yours was a dud. I seriously doubt that the factory pin had any kind of magical properties, your drill bit fix is probably way harder than the original pin. I wonder if “Hard” is really what you should be shooting for. Given the choice of wearing the pin or the toggle my vote is for the pin. A pin made from soft & crappy might be the way to go.
Silas--I have two of the BB 7-2's, rifle #1 has had NO movement of that toggle pin, it is still nice and tight, but rifle #2's toggle pin would work it's way downward with every range outing. You make a good point about the desirability of the toggle PIN being the sacrificial part in terms of wear, as opposed to the actual articulating toggle parts. The original pin, however, was very hard, almost to the point of being "file safe". I file would BARELY touch it (checked it on one end). On the other hand drill rod, or in my case, the #7 drill bit, can be easily filed. But, that High-Speed steel material is also very tough. Sooo, we'll see how things hold up with my homemade pin in the long term. I can tell you it WAS a royal pain in the a-- to make, as the finished diameter is critical to a proper press fit.