Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-09-2017, 03:30 PM
trentb
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Passed over a 60 today vs. I hate my state

So I was at my area Cabelas today (Hazlewood, MO) and spotted a 60 on the used rack. Flipped the tag over. 99.99 Check the serial number and I belive it's a 73' with the Squirrel stock. Gun has seen better days. stock would need some work, trigger guard was broken...etc Still I could have had another Marlin

Thing that kept me back is if you know anything about Illinois you have to wait 24 hours for long gun purchases. Being that it's almost and hour trip one way I'm not going to spend the time running back and forth.

So any of you locals to that store go give it a proper home.

Oh and laugh at the much newer MM 60 a few spots down that is priced higher than new.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:58 PM
upland1911

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I hear ya about IL, living here leaves little to be proud of nor excited about. However there is a bill to eliminate the Foid card

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-09-2017, 07:00 PM
Ferox34

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No love in the Land of Lincoln

I am originally from IL, moved to GA 30 years ago. Was back there a couple years ago, stopped in a Wal-Mart in O'Fallon and saw some 22lr ammo for sale but they wouldn't sell it to me because I wasn't a resident. Anything else in the store, underwear, motor oil, dog food, canned tuna I could buy, but not evil ammo. I went in to buy some folding camp chairs, but walked out empty handed based on the store's decision to deny me service.

So glad I live in the Peach State now.

Ferox34

Old 03-09-2017, 07:09 PM
Blackwolfe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I live across the big pond from Chicago and we get a lot of Chicago FIP tourist in the area. The Walmarts here check ID to see if you are an Illinois resident, if you have a FOID card, and it's 75 -100 miles and two states to the IL state line. I have been to the Cabela's in Hammond IN, three miles from the IL state line, and they have never checked my ID to buy ammo.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:52 PM
DennB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwolfe View Post
I live across the big pond from Chicago and we get a lot of Chicago FIP tourist in the area. The Walmarts here check ID to see if you are an Illinois resident, if you have a FOID card, and it's 75 -100 miles and two states to the IL state line. I have been to the Cabela's in Hammond IN, three miles from the IL state line, and they have never checked my ID to buy ammo.
I don't understand why they have any interest in denying IL residents the purchase of ammunition. They are hurting their own sales. Does MI have some agreement with IL or something ridiculous like that or do you think that is Walmart's policy. I can't see Walmart doing that.

I live in WI an d have never heard a store check an ID to determine whether or not you are a resident. My brother lives in IL and I'm his only source for online purchases. IL otherwise does not allow online purchases.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:01 PM
mals9
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I looked over the same 60 last Sunday. I laughed at the price of the newer 60's on the used rack. Not sue what they are thinking tying to charge that much.

Mals
Old 03-09-2017, 08:19 PM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mals9 View Post
I looked over the same 60 last Sunday. I laughed at the price of the newer 60's on the used rack. Not sue what they are thinking tying to charge that much.

Mals
They are Cabela's, thinking, "we've been bought by Bass Pro, next year we'll add 20% to these prices."
Old 03-09-2017, 08:21 PM
DennB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentb View Post
So I was at my area Cabelas today (Hazlewood, MO) and spotted a 60 on the used rack. Flipped the tag over. 99.99 Check the serial number and I belive it's a 73' with the Squirrel stock. Gun has seen better days. stock would need some work, trigger guard was broken...etc Still I could have had another Marlin

Thing that kept me back is if you know anything about Illinois you have to wait 24 hours for long gun purchases. Being that it's almost and hour trip one way I'm not going to spend the time running back and forth.

So any of you locals to that store go give it a proper home.

Oh and laugh at the much newer MM 60 a few spots down that is priced higher than new.
I think IL's law just worked as intended. They effectively denied you the purchase of a gun without actually banning your purchase. I've done the same thing here in WI with a handgun before Governor Walker was able to repeal the waiting period on handguns last year.

Taxes and waiting periods are just a couple methods governments will use to deter ammunition and firearm purchases to law abiding citizens.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:33 PM
Blackwolfe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennB View Post
I don't understand why they have any interest in denying IL residents the purchase of ammunition. They are hurting their own sales. Does MI have some agreement with IL or something ridiculous like that or do you think that is Walmart's policy. I can't see Walmart doing that.

I live in WI an d have never heard a store check an ID to determine whether or not you are a resident. My brother lives in IL and I'm his only source for online purchases. IL otherwise does not allow online purchases.
I think it is a Walmart thing. I have never heard of any MI rules or regulations prohibiting non residents from purchasing ammo.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:56 PM
DennB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentb View Post
That's typical Cabelas. I've seen that so many times. Maybe they think a gun with that hasn't been cleaned or oiled in ten years, has a possible damaged crown and doesn't necessarily work correctly with or without broken parts is worth a premium. There prices might be warranted if they were professionally cleaned and completely checked by a qualified gunsmith.

I actually found a couple .22s at Cabelas for $99 recently that were actually worth what they were asking (and maybe a little bit more). I thought I would never buy from them because of their outrageous prices.

Their paperwork process is another story. I probably waited an hour just to start the process because I was in line behind two other people. They don't allocate labor resources very well at that store. Three people trying to sell you their credit card, but one taking care of a line of gun checks.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:03 PM
Cowtipper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

I live in WI near the Stateline. I get asked to prove myself as a WI resident every time at the Wal Mart I live near when I buy ammo. Normally 9mm ammo. If I was from IL I would have show a FOID and I could buy whatever I want. BUT, when I go down there I cannot buy that same ammo because I don't have a FOID. Personally I wish WI would stop IL residents FOID or not from being able to purchase up here. Maybe that way my local Wal Mart would have some 9mm when I go in. Hard to say but tit for tat I say.

Sorry...rant off...
Old 03-09-2017, 09:12 PM
DennB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwolfe View Post
I think it is a Walmart thing. I have never heard of any MI rules or regulations prohibiting non residents from purchasing ammo.
Walmart is so f-ed up. I work with these stores as a vendor and they treat us like thieves, but allow shoplifters to steal up to $25 of merchandise at will without pursuing any type of arrest. Whenever their inventory is off, it's the vendors' fault.

Anyway, they basically have a long list of rules for the stores, but either each store manager or the regional supervisor picks and chooses which rules they want to follow and then they do so on a very strict basis. Go from store to store and one rule will get you kicked out of one store and the same won't even be acknowledged at the next.

I don't shop at Walmart because of how they treat people, so I don't know if those in WI near the IL border check for anything besides age for ammo purchases.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:28 PM
DennB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtipper View Post
I live in WI near the Stateline. I get asked to prove myself as a WI resident every time at the Wal Mart I live near when I buy ammo. Normally 9mm ammo. If I was from IL I would have show a FOID and I could buy whatever I want. BUT, when I go down there I cannot buy that same ammo because I don't have a FOID. Personally I wish WI would stop IL residents FOID or not from being able to purchase up here. Maybe that way my local Wal Mart would have some 9mm when I go in. Hard to say but tit for tat I say.

Sorry...rant off...
You can get better deals and availability online many times with free ship and no tax.

I'm sure you are kidding, but why wish for more restrictions on fellow shooters...
Old 03-09-2017, 11:26 PM
trentb

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

Their paperwork process is another story. I probably waited an hour just to start the process because I was in line behind two other people. They don't allocate labor resources very well at that store. Three people trying to sell you their credit card, but one taking care of a line of gun checks.
I did it once. Hours is right. Then when I came back the next day hours again cause they screwed up on the 4473. So I had to come back a 3rd day.

Another reason I passed on this 60
Old 03-10-2017, 05:52 PM
upland1911

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There was also a bill filed that that would charge a tax PER ROUND of ammunition at time of purchase. Thankfully squashed ... for now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk