Acting before thinking Glenfield 60 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:39 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Acting before thinking Glenfield 60

I don't do this often, but have you ever been so convinced you know what you're doing that you jump into something with both feet before seeing how deep the water actually is?

I was going to remove the broken bolt buffer from my newly acquired '82 vintage Glenfield model 60... simple, right? I removed the little e-clip, and tried to tap (then hammer) out the pin that I was certain was only pressed in from one side, since it had an e-clip to hold it in place on the other side.

It SEEMS I was wrong. Apparently, those pins are pressed in with no intention of ever removing them. I figured all that out while I was pulling the other e-clips, and removing the side of the trigger group. Since I had ground off the mysteriously flattened e-clip end so I could "tap out the pin", I now have no way of "holding" that side of the receiver in place, when I put it all back together.

I thought about going ahead and doing that, and just relying on it to somehow miraculously stay in place with nothing holding it.

I then looked through the spare parts list at Numrich/Gunparts, and they show a buffer pin that has e-clips on both ends....

So, my question, now that confession time is over, is.... does anyone know if I can grind the riveted end off my buffer pin, and remove it, then use one of the double ended pins in its place? That is my plan, but it would give me a warm, reassuring feeling if someone else has done this, or knows someone who has ....
Old 03-09-2017, 11:24 AM
vinco
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
No, no, no. Start by cocking back the hammer, and putting a big paper clip through the hole in the end of the hammer strut, and then just remove the other 3 or 4 e-clips from the same side of the action assembly and gently lift the whole side plate off. There is absolutely no grinding necessary to replace the buffer.

Now, if you've already messed up the pin, then just go ahead and get a new pin on its way, along with a few new e-clips. It is clipped on poth sides because the OD of the pin to the inside of the plates is bigger than the holes in the plates on both sides. It was never intended to tap through the side plate, because the pin also acts as a spacer to keep the sideplates at the correct distance apart. The pin isn't pressed into the side plates at all - it is just a slip fit. So you will need to go ahead and take the e-clip off the other end of the buffer pin, and then it will just lift out of the other plate.

Look up Arrowdodger's video tutorial on the stickies, and it will show you the whole process step-by-step.

Last edited by vinco; 03-09-2017 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:59 PM
Davcruz

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I am not sure that all actions are the same. I think some models do not use the clipped pin on both sides for the buffer. I know my 99c (same action as the M60) does not use a clip on either side and it is peened or pressed in place on one side.

The OP may have similar design. In which case, it would depend on exactly what he has done thus far to damage the existing pin, as to what he needs to do to fix it.

Probably ordering a new pin and using the clips will be the solution, but perhaps not.

Old 03-09-2017, 02:24 PM
whip 44
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If your not sure it is always easy to get the answer here. Marlin and Glenfield 60's are probably one of the easy't semiauto .22 to work on. Plus they are accurate and just plane fun to shoot. Hope you get her fixed.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:23 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davcruz View Post
I am not sure that all actions are the same. I think some models do not use the clipped pin on both sides for the buffer. I know my 99c (same action as the M60) does not use a clip on either side and it is peened or pressed in place on one side.

The OP may have similar design. In which case, it would depend on exactly what he has done thus far to damage the existing pin, as to what he needs to do to fix it.

Probably ordering a new pin and using the clips will be the solution, but perhaps not.
Yes, you are correct. My pins are pressed/peened in one side, with the clips on the other side. When I tried to tap out the pin, it pretty much mashed up the clip end, so I ground it off, thinking I would just tap it out...

Like I said, I jumped into removing this without thinking it through, or doing any research on disassembly...

So, I imagine I will just grind off the peened end, and tap it out from that side. I plan on going ahead and buying the pin that has clips on both ends and seeing if that will fit, width-wise. I think it will.... if not, I will just cobble together a pin that will work..... I just was wondering if anyone else had pulled the same bone-headed stunt.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:23 AM
Davcruz

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Yes, so mine does not even clip on the one side, it is just a slip fit that is flush with the side plate as you can see. Mine is old, 1966.

I think you will be OK with the new pin, may just need to clean up the hole on the pressed side.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:47 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davcruz View Post
Yes, so mine does not even clip on the one side, it is just a slip fit that is flush with the side plate as you can see. Mine is old, 1966.

I think you will be OK with the new pin, may just need to clean up the hole on the pressed side.
Yeah... I ground off the peened end last night, and got the pin out. I ordered a new double ended pin from Numrich last night... should be here in a few days. I'm anxious to try it out.

This was one of the dirtiest rifles I've seen...been cleaning on it a little each night, so maybe it will be ready to test out next weekend...
Old 03-23-2017, 09:24 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Update.... the pin and new buffer FINALLY arrived from Numrich

the pin fit perfectly. I had ordered a bag of 100 eclips from McMaster, and assembled it all a couple of nights ago.

All I need to do now is put a scope on it, and go make some noise.... hopefully this Saturday or Sunday afternoon..

Can't wait to try it out.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:03 PM
vinco

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Excellent! Glad to hear you're back up and running!

There's an old saying: better to keep your mouth shut and let them think you're a fool than to open it and prove them correct. That's what I did above. Glad you didn't pay attention to me and let me learn something too.

Cheers!
-Vince
Old Yesterday, 09:59 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinco View Post
Excellent! Glad to hear you're back up and running!

There's an old saying: better to keep your mouth shut and let them think you're a fool than to open it and prove them correct. That's what I did above. Glad you didn't pay attention to me and let me learn something too.

Cheers!
-Vince
de nada.... you were right about a lot of the newer Marlins having clips on both sides... now mine is a hybrid... some pins are peened on one side, but the buffer pin is clipped on both sides...

I'm just glad to find out the pin worked. I had made a pin that would have worked, but I would have had to have peened it, or staked it, on both sides to hold it in place...
Old Today, 07:29 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Brief range report...

I got to shoot it today. It went bang, like it should.

Accuracy was ok, nothing special, but I think I discovered why.

I had installed a rail mount from DIP, and had put a #7.5 bird shot under each of the 6 set screws, with the intention of not marring the top of the receiver. I had tightened the set screws down pretty tight... didn't want to go too crazy on them.. and everything felt tight. About halfway through my shooting, I noticed the rail was loose enough to slide back and forth with very little effort. I hope this was the cause of the inconsistent accuracy.

I did have two failures to fire, with light appearing strikes, with Federal Champion bulk ammo. I cycled those through a second time, with a failure to fire again.. so I tend to think it was just bad ammo.

I was pleased with the performance of the BSA Sweet 22 scope that I had bought on sale. From all the reviews I've read, I had about a 20% chance of getting one that the reticle would turn loose in, but I put about 150 rounds through this rifle today, with no reticle rotation noticed....