Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-18-2017, 02:03 PM
Relativist
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Marlin 795 & upgrades

so I acquired a new 795 so I could participate at an appleseed. It has the synthetic stock with the built in sling attachments, which I like. I did buy 5 extra magazines from midway when they were on sale as well.

I transfered over the tech sights I had and the sling and sling swivels I already had.

I also ordered and recieved this week the DIP trigger guard, trigger and charging handle. Also I got the mcarbo extra power recoil spring and trigger spring kit, oh and I got extra c clips just in case. I've got most of it installed except for the trigger spring kit as I need a little prep for that one, like making sure I have the tools needed, all the rest I was able to wing it. So far i really am happy with the rifle and the upgrades and am really looking forward to some range time.

The *only* thing I cannot find is a way of mounting a long eye relief scope that will work with separately from the iron sights I'm using in a scout scope configuration. Basically I'm looking for a mash up of these two, something that'll attach to the weaver on the front part of the reciever and continue forward and also attach to the dovetail where the rear site is now.

https://www.xssights.com/ThumbnailHa...1024&MediaURL=

https://www.diproductsinc.com/ItemMe...0019_19159.jpg

It also needs to be low enough to still use the iron sights (and extend more forward), so this would not work I think:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/w...-795-stock.jpg

The goal is to be something like this:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-...7/FS-BH-23.jpg

I'll likely be using this scope if I can find a way to mount it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/227...-7x-32mm-matte
Old 02-18-2017, 02:15 PM
wingnutz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quick question, out of your 5 mags do any just drop out when depressing the mag release. ..?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2017, 02:48 PM
Relativist

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutz View Post
Quick question, out of your 5 mags do any just drop out when depressing the mag release. ..?

i already put minimags in them, so I'll be testing that at the range. The one I have filled with snap caps does not drop, but comes out readily.

PS, I didn't keep track of which came with the rifle, they all look the same.

Last edited by Relativist; 02-18-2017 at 02:54 PM.

Old 02-18-2017, 03:14 PM
wingnutz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ok, same here, I have 6 that don't drop when depressing mag release but come out fairly easily ...not really a big deal to me but I see some sanding down the mags just to get them to drop....

Old 02-18-2017, 03:58 PM
Relativist

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hmm, if I'm in that much in a hurry to change magazines, maybe a 22 is not the right rifle lol.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:41 PM
ArrowDodger

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Send a message via AIM to ArrowDodger
I just squeeze my mags in a vise until i get the desired fit. File the flash off the magwell first.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:56 PM
usmcmp
US Marines

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That went sideways in a hurry.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:15 PM
JGriffinUSN
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For that XS Lever Scout, couldn't you have the receiver drilled and tapped for the rear screws?
Old 02-18-2017, 11:57 PM
Relativist

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So, range report, all ammunition worked just fine, with one stovepipe, otherwise flawless. None of the 5 mags I used dropped free on their own, with varying resistance. Ammo was cci minimags, cci standard velocity, aguila, federal and Remington thunder. I tried to bring a bit of all I had but I'm sure I left something out at home.

I must have loaded those 5 mags 8 to 10 times. I lost count. Since I was at a pistol indoor range, I only had 50 ft to work with, standing with the sling, tired I was shooting 50 round groups within 4 inches with some decent groupings. Mostly it's the shooter as we all well know.

Although I sighted in as best I could im sure there is room for improvement. I was basically using my leatherman since I left the tool at home for the tech sights.

I was able to buy some blue locktite today so I can complete the upgrade. I've found my Remington oil spray can, so I'll be able to clean stuff up. I'm looking forward to getting the travel stop on the trigger to help reduce the play.

All in all it was fun shoot for me. Next time I'm going to take some targets that I can use to do some movement with. Shooting one spot gets boring after a while.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:20 AM
Relativist

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm not pointing that one out in particular because I want to use it specifically, but I'm hoping someone makes one for the 795 that I simply haven't found. Any chance of that?
Old 02-19-2017, 12:22 AM
Relativist

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sideways? Nah, I'm just not seeing the importance of quick changing mags with a 22. Maybe I'm missing something, like how important it may be for the times AQT.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:58 AM
timb503
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relativist View Post
Sideways? Nah, I'm just not seeing the importance of quick changing mags with a 22. Maybe I'm missing something, like how important it may be for the times AQT.
That's exactly it. Drop free mags will improve your scores.

One way to deal with it is to use a file/sand paper on the mag well and/or the magazines. All of mine drop free, after doing that.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:01 AM
Dan-T

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relativist View Post
I'm looking forward to getting the travel stop on the trigger to help reduce the play.
The MCARBO spring kit and trigger made a world of difference to me. Prior to ordering their trigger I modified the stock triggers (two rifles involved). The first went flawlessly but overconfidence reared its ugly head & a slightly off-angle hole was drilled in the second -- still works but looks ugly, so it was replaced with the professional mod. All work done using a HF tabletop drill press & a small vice made in college machine shop (got a B+ on it, should have been a B-).

the MCARBO videos were a great help to me, their response time to email questions was remarkable and the quality of their products meets or exceeds my expectations.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:41 AM
jwm

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Interesting thread. I have the XS mount you show, mounted on a Marlin 1894, and if I recall correctly the barrel profile is way too thick to use it on a 795.

I am a scout scope fan, and I have a Savage bolt .22lr on which I mounted a scout scope using an old Weaver rail I dug up out of my spare parts drawer...not sure which gun it was actually designed to fit. I carefully drilled/tapped 3 holes in the barrel (plus one that was done not-so-carefully) and screwed the rail on top with a coat of Steel Bed epoxy as bedding. It was a surprisingly easy job, looks quite decent and works beautifully. The gun in question has no iron sights; I put it together strictly as a trainer rifle for scout scope use. However, the rail is very low and comparing it to my 795 with Tech Sights, it's obvious that the sights would be easily visible above the rail.

There is a slight catch: I chose the Savage .22 partly because it was cheap, but mostly because the barrel has very little taper, so the rail ends up close to parallel with the bore. On the tapered 795 barrel, you would probably need a thin shim under the front of the rail to keep it all straightened up. But that would be pretty easy to do, and the Steel Bed would hide the evidence.

I'm away from home for a few days, but I'll try to post some pictures when I get home if I can figure out how to do it on this site.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:51 PM
Relativist

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Right, like I said that's an example of what I'm looking for, ideally it'd be a solution that does not require drilling & tapping.