Marlin 60 Family of .22LR Rifles Brief History - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:19 PM
Fuzzy Limey
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Send a message via Yahoo to Fuzzy Limey
More on the Marlin 60 ... !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Limey View Post
... browsing the pawnshops today, as is my wont ... one that caught my eye, but couldn't do a really detailed examination ... nicely finished hardwood stock in a medium golden colour, a goldtrigger, and Serial number appeared to be in the 0231*** or 0281*** range from memory ...
Went back for another more detailed look this morning .... snuck a few green stamps out of house when I left - lol !

It is an early Marlin 60 ... Sr.No. 0211****, so that should put it around the 1979 manufacture period I believe. As far as known history, it appears to be a "failed Pawn" item , one owner since new, who lost his job. Other than a few slight parallel scratches on left front corner of forearm and a minor pair of little nicks in the butt plate lower left edge the furniture appears mint with crisp checkering, and diamonds embossed in both forearm and grip panels. Colour is a medium Golden Tan, and the wood may well be some Walnut species, but not dead sure ... does not appear to be Birch.

The barreled action appears to be in 95% or better condition .... checjed bore with scope and MicroGroove rifling is crisp, with slight fouling and no signs of corrosion. The action itself appears to be in great shape with minor wear scuffing on visible part of bolt ... minor carbon fouling in forward receiver area. The crown appears to have been "freshened" poorly, although it might be powder residue build-up.

Needless to say, a little friendly haggling with the shop owner, a "very attractive Stamp Duty" paid, and a new resident is in place in my safe - lol !

Test fired it as soon as I got it home ... ran well on Mini-Mags, SV , and Federal AutoMatch with no FTE, FTF, stovepipes or other problems. With open sights- and my cataract-filled eyes I could hold 1-1/4" groups at 25 yards with all ammos tested. Installed a simple Wally World Burris 4X scope to get a better feel for it, and could run consecutive "14-round groups" of about 1-1/4", with about 10 of the 14 shots within a 3/4" group in each case ... so no real problems in a nice little collectors piece that yearns to be used again. All shots hand-held, with front knuckles resting on my Bull Bag, seated at my test bench.

So next will come strippng and cleaning ... possibly a little light lapping of the bore ... clean up the muzzle and possibly re-crown. The action will ceratinly need a good cleaning and re-lubing with a dry lube. The trigger definitely screams for work ... it is very crisp on let-off, but I daren't beging to think what the pull weight is on my ageing index finger ... 5-6# would be my minimum guess right now which does nothing for the final accuracy.

You'd think that at my age I'd have had enough of tinkering - LOL ! But #1 son already has his eye on the finished product so what can I say ?

Mick - The Fuzzy Limey
Old 11-26-2012, 11:50 PM
glennasher
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In June of 1971, my grandmother gave my grandfather a Coast-to-Coast Model 40, for his birthday. I saw it and liked it, and said so. In October, I got one, too. Same model, same store. Grandpa's had a sort of blonde stock, but mine was stained much darker. Neither had a very good stamping of the "checkering" although the squirrels came out well. Both rifles are still in the family, my cousin has Grandpa's gun (he's passed on) and I have mine. Both have three screws, two behind the trigger, and one up front. Both are 18 shot tubes, and shoot very well.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:59 PM
QWerks
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Glenfield model 75C

I just purchased a Glenfield 75 C from a local pawn shop. It has a barel band , 18 inch barel with about a 17inch magazine, The serial number starts with 20, which would make it a 1980 production run. The stock has the squirel embossed on it and is in fairly good shape. The rear sight, front triger guard screw and nut are missing.
Glenfield Mod. 75 is engraved on the barel.

Picked it up as part of a pair, the other is a Marlin 989M2 from 1977, missing the rear sight of course. I think the same owner had them as they are both missing the same parts. Neither one appeared to have ever been cleaned. Took a couple of hours last night but both cleaned up nicely.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:06 AM
Arkypoppa
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
50th anniversary edition

Since this thread is titled brief history of the model 60, does anyone know how many Marlin Model 60 50th Anniversary Editions were made and are they still being made. Seems like some are still available? Hey wasn't the anniversary a couple of years ago. Maybe they should just make the 50th's for the next 50 years. Wouldn't that be cool!
Old 12-27-2012, 06:02 PM
BillOH
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Has anyone heard of a Glenfield Mod 65? I have one that I've had for 25 years or so. I got it used in a trade and it has been sitting around ever since.

On the barrel it says in script "Golden 50". Then in Capital letters: GLENFIELD MOD 65, The Marlin firearms Co. North Haven Conn USA, cal 22LR only. Serial # is 2712xxxx A. It has a 22 inch barrel. It is pretty rough. It looks like somebody spray painted the barrel and action black. It didn't have a magazine tube when I got it. I ordered one someplace back then. It is 20.5 inches long. The gun doesn't feed rounds from the mag, but it shoots OK when single loaded.

The grand kids are starting to get interested in shooting, so I thought I'd see if I can get some old guns working.

Thanks for any info.

Bill
Old 02-25-2013, 09:59 PM
MikeMGB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My first post here.

I also have a Golden 50 Model 65. Mine was purchased by my grandfather-in-law, we believe in 1969. My research indicates this rifle was made for OTASKO.

Mine Is in excellent condition and is probably the most accurate rifle I have.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:39 PM
DRBall
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I know this is an old post but, rsv1mos that stock is for a Glenfield Model 70 that has the barrel band. It's not the same as the Model 989 M2 but it's close. Numrich has the handguard and the barrel band for the M2. All that's needed is to sand the handguard's sides some to fit. I have both an old Glenfield Model 70 with Tech Sites and a Model 989 M2 with the rear sights....So it's easy to compare the two....
Old 09-09-2013, 10:35 AM
Darman8015

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A local pawn shop has a gun that they say looks like a model 60 with a serial starting with 984. What is this thing?
Old 09-09-2013, 01:00 PM
SRV1

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
I wonder how many 989M2 commemorative 1870-1970 they made.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:34 PM
dakight
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wow... and interesting, if old thread. I need to point out however, that contrary to the previous post, Otasco Stores were still around well into the 1980s when I lived in Oklahoma. According to Wikipedia the company went bankrupt in 1988 but there were still a handful of them operating as late as last year (2012). McCrory Corp did own the company from 1960 - 1984 but as far as I know, at least in Oklahoma and the immediate vicinity, the name was never changed.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:05 PM
vinco

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I also have a Glenfield Model 65 "Golden 50" that I picked up at a local pawn shop. I set it up with a Bushnell 4x32 scope from Wal-Mart, and it will absolutely drive tacks! I got it sighted in at the range yesterday, and it will now consistently put 5 rounds inside a 1" circle at 50 yards, if I do my part. I've already given it to my son for his birthday back in July, but I'll make sure he hangs on to it. Its serial # starts with 2712xxxx, so a 1973 model gun (?)
Old 10-21-2013, 02:07 PM
vinco

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRV1 View Post
I wonder how many 989M2 commemorative 1870-1970 they made.
I also wonder how many of the 1870-1970 commemorative 99M1's they made. Any ideas?
Old 10-21-2013, 02:09 PM
vinco

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakight View Post
Wow... and interesting, if old thread. I need to point out however, that contrary to the previous post, Otasco Stores were still around well into the 1980s when I lived in Oklahoma. According to Wikipedia the company went bankrupt in 1988 but there were still a handful of them operating as late as last year (2012). McCrory Corp did own the company from 1960 - 1984 but as far as I know, at least in Oklahoma and the immediate vicinity, the name was never changed.

Otasco was an acronym for Oklahoma Tire And Service Company. I can remember them in Arkansas way up into the 80's and maybe the 90's.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:20 PM
blkbird513
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
99m1

Hi all, new to this forum and was wondering if the 71xxxxxx serial number on a 99M1 means '71 manufacture? Short tube, gold trigger, rear sight, beautiful walnut, white spacer and bullseye and FULL of what looked like wheel bearing grease....I know now why it started acting up after about 20 rounds. Just gave it a good cleaning..I may sneak it to work tomorrow and find a secluded spot and give her another chance... It shot very well indoor at 50' with the open sights until it got sluggish.

JOHNC
Old 02-04-2014, 12:07 AM
Ithacabuff
US Navy Veteran Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Yes, 71XXXXXXX

means made in 1971. However, that formula in the serial number changed beginning in 1973, at which time the first two digits were 27 and one needed to subtract those first two digits from 2000 and come up with 1973 as the year of manufacture.