Marlin 60 Family of .22LR Rifles Brief History - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:26 PM
SKYBULL

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Marlin 99G

Hope I'm not too late but I also have a Marlin 99G.

The rollstamp is:

Glenfield Products New Haven Conn USA (Line 1)
Marlin (in Script letters) Model 99G- Cal..22 LR (Line 2)

It has a silver trigger, black trigger guard (three screws), 22" barrel, full length mag tube, gold bead front sight. There is no Marlin bulls eye and I think the stock is birch but looks just like walnut. It's very dark.

One of my best shooting .22 Marlins.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:39 AM
Big Shrek
US Army Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYBULL View Post
Hope I'm not too late but I also have a Marlin 99G.

The rollstamp is:

Glenfield Products New Haven Conn USA (Line 1)
Marlin (in Script letters) Model 99G- Cal..22 LR (Line 2)

It has a silver trigger, black trigger guard (three screws), 22" barrel, full length mag tube, gold bead front sight. There is no Marlin bulls eye and I think the stock is birch but looks just like walnut. It's very dark.

One of my best shooting .22 Marlins.
YAY, more 99-G's

Great little shooters, too

Might need to post some Pics & range targets on another thread
Old 03-10-2011, 06:56 AM
rsv1mos
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
[QUOTE=Ithacabuff;2456936]{The information for this article was primarily derived from the book, MARLIN FIREARMS, by William S. Brophy, copyright 1989. Additional information was taken from numerous editions of THE GUN DIGEST. Also, some information wa elicited from various internet sites.}

Also, as a late correction entry, this same listing on page 562 lists a Model 989G (Glenfield)made from 1962-64, a .22 semiautomatic. Again, my mistake and apologies for not seeing that. However, I have referenced that model above because it was listed in the GUN DIGEST and have made this addition above also.

Thanks to Ithacabuff for posting this fine compulation documenting the model 60 and it's varients.

Does anyone own or have a picture of a model 989G? I have a stock that I bought from Numrich GPC that looks like a model 989 M2 stock, but the ledge that the handguard sits on is much too narrow to support it. The stock appears to be new old stock and I'm thinking that it might be a 989G stock????

Picture shows the stock on top with a standard 99 M1 beneath it.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:11 PM
dbw

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
looking for more info on my revelation 150. same as a 49. mine is before the microgroove barrels. what year would that make it?
Old 11-27-2011, 03:40 PM
GJinNY
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Revelation - Western Auto stores
"I'll take 4 quarts of Quaker State, these spark plugs, and one of them .22lr"
Those were the good old days!

Not sure about the 150 BUT:

Marlin made the model 120 for Western Auto Parts Stores in the 1960's. Pre-1968, and there are no serial numbers.
They are almost identical to the Glenfield 60 but a very plain birch stock.
The bolt did not have a hold open feature either.
The front site was the all metal, painted-pin-face style.

I have one with an original Revelation 4x scope on it as well.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:51 PM
ubetcha
US Navy Veteran GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great Article! Just pulled out my Glenfield 60 I purchased new in the 70's. I think it was the 3rd gun I owned. Has a chromed trigger. Never shot it much and bet there isn't 3 boxes through it. Looks like new! Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:49 PM
XUSNORDY

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
They exist.....

The Glenfield Model 75 was an economy version of the 99M1 but not a standard catalog item. It was sold as a promotional item. It had no hand guard and did not have walnut wood. It was made, probably not continuously, from 1967-1982. In 1983 when the Glenfield brand name was discontinued it became the Marlin Model 75C with a longer tubular magazine but minus the swivels and barrel band. The Marlin 75C was last listed in the 1992 GUN DIGEST. Models designated as Glenfield 75C may exist but this writer has found no official record of them.

Heres a pic of one......the parts are soaking in CLP......the stock needs to be re-finished. Was sitting in a barn in Kentucky since the 60's according to the owner (Grandson of the original owner...but I may be the new owner very soon).

I will post a pic of it when finished and put together. All the original parts are there. So far it is coming along nicely....even the bore. Can't wait to test it out on a 10 Bull target!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-21-2012, 05:11 PM
Ithacabuff
US Navy Veteran Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
@ XUSNORDY that is great

and thank you for posting this. Please let us see the whole thing when you get it ready for photos. Looking forward to it. I just checked my Brophy book again and can find nothing about the GLENFIELD 75C.....just the MARLIN 75C. Great contribution. (I am the OP in case that is not obvious)
Old 03-21-2012, 05:21 PM
XUSNORDY

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithacabuff View Post
and thank you for posting this. Please let us see the whole thing when you get it ready for photos. Looking forward to it. I just checked my Brophy book again and can find nothing about the GLENFIELD 75C.....just the MARLIN 75C. Great contribution. (I am the OP in case that is not obvious)

I was told it sat around since the 60's.......but I searched the serial number and if I calculated it right this rifle was made in 1982 ....of course I was handed several to clean up so maybe the owner was talking about the other 22...

I will take a pic when done.....since the bore cleaned up so nice I have put more interest in it

Any tips on refinishing the stock?
Old 03-22-2012, 11:25 AM
Big Shrek
US Army Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shrek View Post
YAY, more 99-G's

Great little shooters, too

Might need to post some Pics & range targets on another thread
BTW< if anyone has a Brophy's Book, does it say how many of the 99-G's were made??

I'm wondering exactly how many were ever made...and for Who...
Old 03-22-2012, 12:29 PM
Ithacabuff

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Realize that I looked on the run

while playing hooky on the computer from jobs but I checked my Brophy book and find no reference to a 99G. I did find the statment that, "A total of 116,239 Model 99s and brand-name variations were manufactured." It also says that, "Over 100, 000 of the Model 99C were manufactured." And, "A total of 24,843 Model 989 rifles were manufactured." Moreover it tells that over 160,000 99M1 Models were made and "More than 110,000 of the 989M2 were manufactured."

Don't know if this helps or not but all straight from Brophy.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:38 PM
GJinNY

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
SEARS ROEBUCK model info...

http://www.gun-data.com/sears_roebuck_guns.html
Old 09-12-2012, 06:11 PM
Fuzzy Limey
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Send a message via Yahoo to Fuzzy Limey
Marlin 60 ...

... possibly a Glenfield variant ... browsing the pawnshops today, as is my wont when SWMBO lets me stray off the mountain for a few hours, after first checking to see if my pockets are devoid of green stamps !

Examined a few "nominal" Model 60's in one shop ... the one that caught my eye, but couldn't do a really detailed examination, had a nicely finished hardwood stock in a medium golden colour, a goldtrigger, and some very nice impressed(?) checkering on the forearm with a large embossed diamond in the centre, plus standard medium checkering on the pistol grip ... slightly curved hard plastic buttplate .... mag tube was close to full length of the barrel. Overall it appeared in fairly mint condition ... Serial number appeared to be in the 0231*** or 0281*** range from memory.

Does this raise any of the Marlin afficionados thoughts as to possible age , or specific Model No. ?

Mick - The Fuzzy Limey
Old 09-12-2012, 06:55 PM
Ithacabuff

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
From the serial

it appears to have been made in 1998. You say it was hardwood stock...? Impressed checkering sounds like that which was put on the Model 995 walnut stock. Still don't know.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:21 PM
GJinNY

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithacabuff View Post
I have a 75C and it does say "Glenfield model 75C" on it and also says
"The Marlin Firearms Company" It was made in 1976

I bought it without the stock, it is basically a model 60 with a shorter carbine barrel and a feed tube the same length as the barrel- holds 14 rounds.

I put it in an SS Evolution stock: