Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-27-2009, 01:18 PM
Ithacabuff
US Navy Veteran Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Marlin 60 Family of .22LR Rifles Brief History

{The information for this article was primarily derived from the book, MARLIN FIREARMS, by William S. Brophy, copyright 1989. Additional information was taken from numerous editions of THE GUN DIGEST. Also, some information was elicited from various internet sites.}

(Also, many thanks to forum members who have found omissions and mistakes in my original article and were kind enough to politely point these out so that I could make necessary corrections. If a reader believes I have made other errors I would appreciate it if this is brought to my attention. Thank you.)

It seems to me the title of this piece should be THE MARLIN 99 FAMILY OF .22LR RIFLES. After all, the 60 was originally a Glenfield model , the slightly more homely younger brother of the Model 99 and Model 99C. The Glenfield brand name was used on firearms made by Marlin, but with sales directed at the discount store market. In essence, Glenfields were the bargain store Marlins. (Note that Glenfield guns could be sold at a lower price because of the use of inexpensive wood and less expensive sights. Other than that these firearms were made at the Marlin plant with the same materials and standards as Marlin branded firearms. Thus, the quality of Glenfields is really not open to question.) However, the 60 became so popular that many, many more have been made, in the last 50 years, than the other "siblings" in this group of firearms.

It should be explained that I refer to these Marlin rifle models as a "family" not just because they are semiautomatic rifles made by the same company but also because they each use virtually the same, if not the same, mechanism and the differences are primarily external.

HISTORY: Although Marlin had made semiautomatic rifles since 1931 the results were disappointing. However, in 1959 a totally new design was marketed that replaced the Model 98. The new model was the Marlin Model 99. It had an 18 shot capacity by virtue of a tubular magazine, Micro-Groove rifling, automatic side-ejection, and other newer features. It was a complete success from the beginning and fathered many variants. 116,239 were made from 1959-61.

The Marlin Model 99DL was a 99 with some changes to make it a fancier rifle including a gold-colored trigger, gold-finished trigger guard, sling swivels, and other features. 5279 were made from 1960-64.

The 99G (G for Glenfield) was made from 1963-65. See my late correction entry below about this model.

The Marlin Model 99C was almost the same as the 99 with Micro-Groove rifling and gold-plated trigger. It originally had a band type front sight which was dropped in 1976 in favor of a ramp sight. In 1971 impressed checkering was added to the model. Over 100,000 were made from 1961-78.

The Marlin Model 989 was the first clip magazine rifle of the new line of semiautomatics started in 1959. Like the other Marlin brand models this one had a walnut stock. A total of 24,843 were made from 1962-65. The 1963 and 1964 editions of GUN DIGEST also list a Glenfield 989G. LATE ENTRY: The Brophy book also lists the 989G as being made from 1962 to 1964.

The Marlin Model 99M1 was a carbine with a shorter tubular magazine holding 9 rounds. It was also different in that it had a hand guard and 18 inch barrel. It was also equipped with a rear sight adjustable for windage and elevation, gold-colored trigger, and a sling. It was made to resemble the U. S. Army M-1 carbine. More than 160,000 were made from 1964-78.

The Glenfield Model 75 was an economy version of the 99M1 but not a standard catalog item. It was sold as a promotional item. It had no hand guard and did not have walnut wood. It was made, probably not continuously, from 1967-1982. In 1983 when the Glenfield brand name was discontinued it became the Marlin Model 75C with a longer tubular magazine but minus the swivels and barrel band. The Marlin 75C was last listed in the 1992 GUN DIGEST. Because models designated as 75C were changed to having a longer magazine tube with no barrel band they are almost identical to the Model 60. I will note here my opinion that the 75C is relatively scarce, perhaps extremely scarce.

The Marlin Model 989M2 is identical to the 99M1 except that it has a clip magazine. More than 110,000 were made from 1965-78. Like the 99M1 it had a walnut stock.

BE AWARE: The adjustable sight on the 99M1 and 989M2 fastens on the receiver scope rail. It is often missing on these models offered for sale and is very, very difficult to find through any gun parts supply system. One should take this into account when considering purchase of one of these models.

The Glenfield Model 70 was the economy version of the 989M2. It had the clip magazine with 18 inch barrel but the wood was not walnut and there was no hand guard. It was made from 1967-82. In 1983 the Glenfield name had been discontinued so this model became the Marlin Model 70. When this change took place the barrel band, checkering, and swivels were eliminated. In the GUN DIGEST editions 1989 through 1996 the Model 70 was now listed as the 70HC (High Capacity because it was equipped with a 25 round clip magazine.).

The Marlin 70P "Papoose" was introduced in 1986. It is a take-down model of the 70 with a 7 shot clip magazine and is currently sold with a padded case that floats. It is still made as the 70PSS with a stainless barrel.

The Marlin Model 49 was first made as a unique model for a mass-merchandiser but was later made for the Marlin product line. The 49 and 49DL were unique with a two-piece stock (walnut) but otherwise were essentially the same as the 99C. They also each had a tubular magazine. In 1971 scroll-work was embossed into the sides of the receiver and the Model 49 became the 49 Deluxe (49DL). 79,458 49s were made as well as 30,964 Model 49DLS from 1968-78.

The Glenfield Model 40 was only made in 1979 as a limited-production economy model of the 49DL. The Model 49 stock and forearm were birch, the trigger was chrome-plated instead of gold-plated, and a couple of other niceties were eliminated, but it was otherwise identical to the 49 and 49DL.

The Marlin Model 990 was the old 99C tubular magazine rifle with some refinements; including a new closure system, a bolt hold-open device, and other small improvements. This model was made from 1979-87 with the standard walnut stock. Moreover, the GUN DIGEST lists a Model 990L (Laminate) in the 1993-95 editions.

The Marlin Model 995 was introduced in 1979 at the same time as the 990. It was a new model designation for the earlier 989M2. The hand-guard and band-type front sight of the 989M2 were eliminated. Also, some changes in the sights were made. The clip magazine was Marlin's standard 7-shot. The black walnut stock was standard until about 1997 at which time 995 became a rifle made only with a synthetic stock and stainless barrel. It was last listed in the 1999 GUN DIGEST.

The Marlin Model 795 was introduced in 1997 as a clip-magazine model made only with a black synthetic stock. It seems to have been the replacement for the 995. It appears that, simultaneously, a heavy target barrel version of this model was introduced as the Model 7000. The Model 7000 was discontinued in about 2007 but the 795 is still in production.
{July 2009 Note: My Gun Digest editions from 1998 through 2008 show no reference to other than a synthetic stock for the 795. The current Marlin web site indicates no other stock material available. However, presently, a local sporting goods chain store has a used 795 with blued barrel and A WOOD LAMINATE STOCK. The serial number indicates it was manufactured in 2005. Anyone know anything about this?}

The Model 60G (G for Glenfield), made from 1960-65, and the Glenfield Model 60 made from 1966-82, as well as the Marlin Model 60, were stated by Brophy to have, "....the same mechanism as the Model 99C and the later Model 990 except that the stock was made of birch wood rather than walnut and had a less expensive rear sight." It had a 22 inch barrel with a magazine capacity of 17 .22LR cartridges for many years. It was not listed in the GUN DIGEST until the 1967 edition. That listing originally described it as featuring a chrome-plated trigger and continued to do so through the 1982 edition. No official record has been found by this writer that describes any actual Model 60 as having factory walnut wood. This is not to say Marlin did not make such an item. This writer has seen claims of Model 60s with factory walnut stocks.

In 1983 Marlin was no longer using the Glenfield name so this popular rifle became the Marlin Model 60. At some point in time the barrel and magazine were slightly shortened. It continues to be sold in six different variants of blued or stainless/nickel plate metal and synthetic or laminated wood stocks.

According to Brophy the Model 60, "....became the most popular by far of all autoloaders, regardless of maker or model." One would find it very difficult to argue with that premise.

And, a word or two more about the Glenfield firearms as compared to the Marlin branded firearms during the time when the Glenfield name was used, 1960-1983s. It has been my experience, with knowledge only of the .22 semi-auto rifles, that the following differences are consistently found: Marlin wood was walnut, Glenfield birch. Marlin butt stock pads were inscribed with the name Marlin in an oval but Glenfield pads had the oval with nothing inscribed; Marlin had a white spacer between pad and stock but Glenfield did not; Marlin had the bullseye trademark in the stock but Glenfield did not; Marlin rifles had gold colored triggers but Glenfield had silver.

Late correction entry on June 28, 2009: As GPSN pointed out below, Brophy also refers to a Model 99G (Glenfield) made from 1963-65, a .22 semiautomatic. My apologies for this omission as Brophy put this item on one listing of his book, but for reasons I fail to understand, had not put it on another listing under his section on semiautomatic rifles so I missed it. However, I am responsible for that mistake and should have read the book more carefully. Thanks to other members of the forum this mistake has been corrected.

Also, as a late correction entry, this same listing on page 562 lists a Model 989G (Glenfield)made from 1962-64, a .22 semiautomatic. Again, my mistake and apologies for not seeing that. However, I have referenced that model above because it was listed in the GUN DIGEST and have made this addition above.

Last edited by Ithacabuff; 02-28-2016 at 11:00 AM. Reason: February 28, 2016 To correct a typo.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:58 PM
Big Shrek
US Army Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just wish he hadn't have skipped the Glenfield 99-G model. I've never found much info on it anywhere. It just gets a simple mention in most books...but evades any further commentary other than the basics.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:31 PM
Ithacabuff

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
The Brophy book does not mention

(This statement is an error by me. See later in this one post.) anything about a Marlin 99G or 99 Glenfield. Neither do I find anything about it in any of the GUN DIGESTS. I am not saying a 99G does not exist. But I find no official reference to one. Do you have a Marlin 99G? Do you have some photos? I would be interested in knowing. Thanks

TALKING TO BIG SHREK, OF COURSE.

THIS IS MY MISTAKE. THE BROPHY BOOK MENTIONS A 99G ON PAGE 562. SEE BELOW.

Last edited by Ithacabuff; 06-28-2009 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Correction to my mistake

Old 06-27-2009, 10:55 PM
Big Shrek

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithacabuff View Post
anything about a Marlin 99G or 99 Glenfield. Neither do I find anything about it in any of the GUN DIGESTS. I am not saying a 99G does not exist. But I find no official reference to one. Do you have a Marlin 99G? Do you have some photos? I would be interested in knowing. Thanks

TALKING TO BIG SHREK, OF COURSE.

Yep, got one Currently has a Gold trigger, Gold trigger guard, stock that looks pretty decent after refinishing, and I notice I need new pics! LOL

You can see the beat-up original trigger guard in this pic.

After refinishing the stock...nice!!

Current Pic of the 99G with a few other Marlins..
added a scope, sling (not pictured), plated the trigger guard, replated the trigger...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stoeger's "Gun Trader's Guide" is the only one I've found listings of the Glenfield 99-G. And they are far from complete.

Still thinking about gold-plating the barrel & action...I'll definitely post some After pics...if it turns out good...I'll be the Man with the Golden Gun!!! LOL

I figure...it's a G for GOLD! Baybee!! LOL

If it sucks, I'll have to remove it and figure out something else.

Last edited by Big Shrek; 04-14-2010 at 02:18 AM. Reason: redid pics
Old 06-28-2009, 01:03 AM
Ithacabuff

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Bear with me but I cannot

find the "address box" you talk about. What I would like to see is the roll stamp that says 99G. Or please tell me what the barrel roll stamp says...Does it say 99G? At the risk of offending you.....are you sure it does not say 99C. I have a Marlin with a barrel code of DK and the D looks like a U because the top of the letter did not impress into the barrel well. Thanks for your tolerance. I am further stymied by the fact that it has walnut wood. The Glenfield guns NEVER had walnut wood, at least not officially.

Later entry: And with the gold trigger and gold trigger guard and walnut wood it sounds like a 99DL. I would make an educated guess that this is one of those factory mistakes of some kind in which you have a 99DL that somehow mistakenly has a barrel that says 99G.

Late entry to correct my mistake: See later entries below correcting my mistake. There was a 99G.

Last edited by Ithacabuff; 06-28-2009 at 10:29 AM. Reason: To correct mistakes.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:10 AM
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Aren't the 795 and the 7000 both variations of the same rifle? Basically a 75?

I could be very wrong but they seem to be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 06-28-2009, 09:59 AM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I guess I could have said they were much like the 99M2 to be more historically correct.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 06-28-2009, 10:00 AM
Ithacabuff

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
GPSN thank you

about the 99G and I stand corrected. You know I had not closely examined that chart on page 562. I read the whole section on semiautos and used the same type of chart on page 300 which had NOTHING about the 99G. He just listed the 60G and Model 60 Glenfield on that page. Appears to be a Brophy book mistake IMHO. Why would the two charts not agree? Anyway, thank you very much. However, I should say this is still my mistake. I did not compare the two charts. He did the same thing as far as the 989G.

Last edited by Ithacabuff; 06-28-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:03 AM
Ithacabuff

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Vincent

yes the 7000 and 795 are variations of the same rifle in my opinion....I think only difference is that the 7000 had the heavy target barrel. In my essay I refer to all of these as in the family of Model 60 rifles but the 795/7000 are both clip fed and the 75 is a tube mag gun.(as GPSN pointed out)..so I would not say they are the same as the 75.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:40 AM
Ithacabuff

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Big Shrek and all

I find it very interesting that a rifle with the gold trigger, gold trigger-guard, and walnut wood was made as a 99G as the Glenfields (or G models) always used less expensive wood and probably never a gold trigger. I cannot help believing that this particular one owned by Big Shrek may have been the result of the factory cleaning up some spare 99 parts and wanted to use a 99G barrel on 99DL stock and trigger assembly. It would be interesting to find another 99G with which to compare this one owned by Big Shrek. There are other cases, with other gun manufacturers doing things like this to clean up odds and ends parts so as not to waste the potential profit.

SO, DOES ANYONE OUT THERE OWN A 99G??? LET US KNOW. THANKS!!

ALSO, I WANT TO BRING ATTENTION TO THE FACT I HAVE MADE AN APPROPRIATE ENTRY AT THE BEGINNING OF MY ARTICLE REGARDING MY ERRORS AND OTHER POTENTIAL MISTAKES AND HAVE ACKNOWLEDGED MY FELLOW FORUM MEMBERS FOR KINDLY POINTING OUT ERRORS SO THEY COULD BE CORRECTED. MY PRIMARY GOAL IS TO HAVE INFORMATION AVAILABLE TO ALL THAT IS ACCURATE AND USEFUL.

Last edited by Ithacabuff; 06-28-2009 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:09 PM
Deltaboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Since the infamous NJ Hi-CAP law about 10 years ago the Marlin 60 has been a 14 shot rifle.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:14 PM
Big Shrek

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithacabuff View Post
I find it very interesting that a rifle with the gold trigger, gold trigger-guard, and walnut wood was made as a 99G as the Glenfields (or G models) always used less expensive wood and probably never a gold trigger. I cannot help believing that this particular one owned by Big Shrek may have been the result of the factory cleaning up some spare 99 parts and wanted to use a 99G barrel on 99DL stock and trigger assembly. It would be interesting to find another 99G with which to compare this one owned by Big Shrek. There are other cases, with other gun manufacturers doing things like this to clean up odds and ends parts so as not to waste the potential profit.

SO, DOES ANYONE OUT THERE OWN A 99G??? LET US KNOW. THANKS!!
Amen to that...LOL

The Walnut stock doesn't surprise me in the least. My Stoeger books lists the 99-G as Same as the 99-C, made from 1960-1965 and with Plainer Stock and Bead Front sight. None of them list wood types...and the stock, while nicely figured, has no checkering or slots and is therefore "plain".

Where the 99-C has a Monte-Carlo stock (checkered in later production) & hooded front sight The DL had a jeweled Breech Bolt, swivels & sling also.

When I first got it, I thought the G was a mistake, because I initially couldn't find ANYTHING about a Marlin 99-G...thought it was a technical error by the factory...but I finally found it listed under Glenfield 99-G in the Stoeger Books...

But heck, it was a $60 rifle that was beat to heck that I found in a pawn shop...now it's starting to look like it's worth something...and it definitely SHOOTS like it's worth $400

I'll have to shoot some Before & After pics when I get done with the gold on the Action & Barrel Right now I'm actually kind of afraid to mess with separating them because it is so accurate at this time! But probably in the next few weeks I'll start pulling it apart...

Oh, I should mention, I did the gold on the trigger housing...that wasn't original, as it had a Black Painted trigger guard.
But the gold trigger itself was original. I figured it would look better to have the guard made gold as well, and it DID!

I also have added sling swivels as well The originals were missing, but the holes were drilled and looked to have had swivels in them for many years, but probably the pawn guy or the original owner took 'em out for another rifle.

The date code I posted awhile back on a thread...it is a 1960 model from what the barrel sez...and it's not unheard of for a First Year edition of anything to get a little Extra Special Treatment just so they can kick it off to a good start.

Last edited by Big Shrek; 06-28-2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:49 PM
Dogwatch Dale

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good stuff, I vote for the Sticky!
Old 06-30-2009, 03:41 PM
Ithacabuff

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Thank you

Thank you, Dogwatch Dale !
Old 09-09-2009, 12:56 AM
Big Shrek

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
On to other Issues of Marlin Names / Store Brands

In times past, Many stores had Marlin make rifles under thier own chosen names...some pretty darn weird too...

here's a list of what I have so far in Alphabetical order...

Brand Name - Store Name

Big 5 - United Merchant Big 5 stores

Coast to Coast - Coast to Coast hardware stores

Cotter & Co. / Westpoint - True Value hardware stores

Firestone - Firestone Tire & Rubber stores (they Actually sold RIFLES!! WOW!!)

Foremost - J.C. Penny stores

Huntsman - (Marlin 25C Goose Gun) Unknown store so far???

Katz - Drug store chain (thanks BlackOak!)

Mages & Co - (Marlin 55 Goose Gun) Unknown Store???

Markey Brothers - (Marlin 101) Unknown Store???

Otasco - Otasco retail stores, after 1960, known as McCrory stores

Revelation - Western Auto stores

Sears, Ranger, J.C. Higgins - made for Sears, Roebuck & Co.

Speigel - Spiegel Catalog Stores

Western Field or Hawthorne - Montgomery Ward stores

If anyone knows what the stores in RED are, post away

Last edited by Big Shrek; 03-22-2012 at 11:22 AM.