How I adjusted the trigger on my Marlin 60 (Drawing) - Page 5 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-27-2006, 06:05 PM
ArrowDodger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Send a message via AIM to ArrowDodger
Model 60 Hammer-Strut-Bridge

That lil part is called a Hammer-Strut-Bridge. And it goes in only one way.
It has a, somewhat subtle, corner notch to clear the Disconnector. Don't forget to use a paper clip or some piece of wire in the strut-hole to take the spring pressure off when you dis-assemble this.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:15 PM
tomaz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bent the springs and now my bolt wont hold open every time.
My trigger didnt get much better either.
I think I know what the problem is but i dont wanna take it apart again because I had a hard time getting it back together.
I need help , aneyone in Phoenix wanna make some $
Old 12-28-2006, 08:22 AM
Princi
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You didn't weaken the Ejector Lifter Spring did you?

I found the hardest thing in reassembly was to get the Cartridge Lifter with the spring back into the Feedthroat block. Once I did that, I took a rubber band and looped it over a couple of times to hold the block against the Left Sideplate Assembly. After putting the whole assembly back together I then cut the coils of the rubber band and removed them.

Alas, while working on the action, I lost the Buffer Pin Ring. The local Ace Hardware store was no help, so I had to order one from Numrich for $2.70. I also ordered a hammer spring because I'm still not happy with the trigger pull. I stoned and polished the sear without changing the factory engagement angle, weakened the disconnector, sear, and trigger return springs, and although the trigger is now very crisp, it is still heavier than I'd like.

I had a bad experience with going to a Wolff reduced power hammer spring with the Marlin 39A. I got several FTF's and light strikes. I had to go back to the original spring, but it only made 4oz difference.

Robert Dunlap from American Gunsmithing Institute has an interesting method for reducing spring power. He takes a small punch that will go through the center of the spring, and then holding the spring at a 45 degree angle, he sands off part of the material on a belt sander. I've tried it and it works. Now you know why I ordered another hammer spring before trying to reduce the power on this one.

Another thing is that prior to starting to take the action apart, I cut off a small piece of paper clip, cocked the hammer, inserted the paper clip into the little hole in the hammer strut and then lowered the hammer.

Compared to some other guns I've worked on, I wouldn't consider the action on the Model 60 to be all that difficult. (I will never do a detailed strip on a CZ-52 again).

Old 12-28-2006, 02:19 PM
tomaz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think I did and and I dont wanna make it any worse (just got the gun, didnt even shoot it yet)
I feel like such a jack *****
Old 12-28-2006, 04:12 PM
Princi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaz View Post
just got the gun, didnt even shoot it yet...
You should be able to bend it back without any difficulty.

Hey, I haven't shot mine yet either. The trigger was just soooo bad I figured that I'd just throw the thing in the back of a closet if it didn't group well. The trigger on the 39A was good, just too heavy. This thing has too much overtravel (I haven't adressed that yet), a lot of creep and heavy. So far I've gotten it a little lighter, completely got rid of the creep, and I'm waiting for the spring to arrive to adress the hammer spring tension. Incidentally, how much effect the hammer spring has on the trigger pull has to do with how positive the engagement angle is. If it is really positive, then pulling the trigger moves the hammer backwards beffore the sear releases it. Then going to a lighter spring makes the trigger pull lighter. I'm reluctant to attack the sear's engagement angle on a semi-auto.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:29 PM
tomaz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bent it all sortsa weird ways trying to make it tighter and I just cant seem to get it right.
Just in case I need to get a new one from Marlin Its called an Ejector Lifter Spring and I can get it from their web sight or do I have to get it by mail?
Old 12-30-2006, 09:34 AM
Princi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I ordered from Numrich. They have the spring for $8.75 http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.as...uctSKU=443920B

You should have gotten a little slip of paper with the owner's manual that shows a parts explosion - if you want to order from Marlin.

Unless it isn't available at Numrich (like the $140 magazine I had to order directly from Sigarms for the P210), I normally order from them. They charge $5.95 for shipping/handling by USPS for small orders, which is all I've ever bought from them.

Also, some manufacturers are getting difficult about shipping things like sears.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:34 PM
tomaz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was able to bend it back into place , thanks
However my trigger is still very heavy.
Id really like to do somthing to help it , does aneyone have a pic of the actual spring in the gun or somthing showing which spring to bend more clearly?
Sorry for all the dumb questions , thanks. Tom
Old 01-02-2007, 07:40 PM
Princi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Don't feel like the lone ranger. I did the belt-sander trick on the hammer spring, but when I put everything back together and checked it with the scale it was 3.5lbs. That is not the typical trigger on my rifles; it is nice for a 1911, but not a rimfire rifle.

Holding back the hammer and moving the disconnector with my finger shows very light pressure, so I have to believe that the weight is coming from the hammer spring and engagement. However, I can't feel the hammer moving backwards when I move the sear, so I can't believe it is overly positive.

I'm getting new windows put in on the west and south side of the house over the next two days so I'm going to be busy re-installing sensor switchs for the alarm system. Therefore the Marlin is going to have to go on the back burner.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:01 PM
tomaz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The hammer spring is the long skinny one around the firing pin right .
Again , sorry but after shooting this gun the crappy trigger is ruining it for me.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:47 PM
ArrowDodger

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Send a message via AIM to ArrowDodger
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaz View Post
The hammer spring is the long skinny one around the firing pin right .
Again , sorry but after shooting this gun the crappy trigger is ruining it for me.
This is a good study guide.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/productsch...;20NEW%20MODEL

http://www.hometown.aol.com/ARROWDODGER/

Last edited by ArrowDodger; 09-25-2007 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:05 AM
Princi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tomaz, it is the large spring that is around the shaft (hammer strut). You need to disassemble the action to remove it; take pictures first?

Before disassembly, cock the hammer, cut off a small piece of paper clip and insert it into the little hole in the hammer strut. Then release the hammer so the spring will be held captive. Then when you have the hammer, with the captive spring, removed from the action you can press down on the hammer bridge, remove the paper clip, and then you can remove the spring. Some people have cut off one or two links of the spring. I'm a little nervous about that because I've had FTF's with a reduced power spring for the Marlin 39A (I went back to the factory spring). Also, I find it interesting that Wolff makes a reduced power hammer spring for the 39A, but not for the 60, so I'm a little reluctant to cut off on the spring, but it is either that or attack the sear.

Incidentally, I have the Power Custom II fixture, which with the universal adapter should allow me to change the engagement angle under control. I wouldn't do it without a fixture. Typically, I could change it to remove 1/2 lb, but it would still be heavier than I like. My Ruger 10/22 is under 2lbs. Some of my target rifles are at 4oz. I'd be happy with 2-1/2lbs on the 60.

Got to run.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:33 AM
tomaz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks everyone , I finally get it.
I didnt cut a coil but took some off the sides , looks like you might be able to do the same thing with a dremel without having to take it apart.
Aneyway I only did a little bit but it does feel a few lbs. lighter.
Thanks again. Tomaz
Old 01-03-2007, 02:46 PM
Bailey Boat

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Well guys, thanks for the tutorial on this...... I had worked on my 99M1 a long time ago and made things better but when I saw ya'll talking about 2 and 3 pound triggers I just had to get her back out and give it another go. I was successful in taking it down to 32 ounces according to my RCBS pull guage.
I went ahead and took the fire control mech all the way apart so I could work on the engagement as well as the springs and then once I was POSITIVE the cartridge lifter couldn't go in back wards (DUH) I reassembled and was pleasantly surprised at the 32 oz result...........
Old 01-03-2007, 07:48 PM
Princi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bailey Boat, glad to hear of your success. Hopefully, I'll get everything else done and be able to get back to it this weekend. I got the spring and clip in the mail from Numrich today, so I feel like I can really attack this thing.

32 OZ - that is pretty close to two pounds.

Well, the Sugar Bowl has started so I have to watch that thanks to my brother. I never cared for football until my younger brother got me started watching it a few years ago. One of his suppliers used to give him tickets to the Syracuse games, and one I started watching I got hooked.

I was 59 years old before my first cup of coffee. That was my daughter that got me started on that, and I got hooked on that.

I was 20 years old and in Vietnam when I, a strict vegetarian, started eating some of the meat in the beef stew. The longshoremen went on strike and we couldn't get fresh food so we got a lot of beef stew. I kept getting little pieces of beef until I kept eating more in more - got hooked on that too.

I don't know how I got hooked on guns. Fortunately, I don't count diamonds and my wife doesn't count guns.