Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-19-2017, 06:28 PM
Seven95
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I did pretty much the same about a year-and-a-half ago. The MCarbo spring kit is Excellent, (IMHO). Coupled with the wide DIP trigger, trigger pull is noticeably lighter. You should see an improvement in accuracy.

Just use the Tech Sights at the Appleseed Clinic - You will have so much fun!
Old 02-19-2017, 09:41 PM
fotojake
US Army Veteran Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Appleseed, eh?

Get in shape, if you aren't already. Push-ups for strength and lots of stretching for the contortions you will put your body in. I went to one last summer in Flagstaff in pretty good shape. After the first day I slept like a rock. Woke up sore as all get up!
Towards the end of the second day I was really getting tired, so, popped a gel and finally shot Rifleman after coming close all day. That little hit of sugar sure helped!

To get back on track: my TSR 100 sight worked great on the 10/22 Takedown.

Good luck. It's a gas and, boy, do you learn how to aim!
Old 02-19-2017, 10:41 PM
Relativist

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, look forward to installing the kit. It'll be interesting to see how it shoots after that is installed compared to last nights several hour standing session.

The one in March is one day, but maybe I should put it off after some more time getting in shape. Plus there's been a lot of rain this spring. The good news is I found a pistol range close to home that allows rifles of pistol caliber. I should be able to get a lot of standing practice in. Just need to find good targets to use at 50'.

Old 02-20-2017, 03:01 AM
Seven95

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relativist View Post
Yes, look forward to installing the kit. It'll be interesting to see how it shoots after that is installed compared to last nights several hour standing session.

The one in March is one day, but maybe I should put it off after some more time getting in shape. Plus there's been a lot of rain this spring. The good news is I found a pistol range close to home that allows rifles of pistol caliber. I should be able to get a lot of standing practice in. Just need to find good targets to use at 50'.
If you can access the following URL (you may need to register on the forum) search for the phrase " 50' "

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.p...3227#msg83227(
Old 02-20-2017, 08:38 AM
Tomcat21

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timb503 View Post
That's exactly it. Drop free mags will improve your scores.

One way to deal with it is to use a file/sand paper on the mag well and/or the magazines. All of mine drop free, after doing that.
I used a needle file on the mag well plates on my XT22 VR and my 989M2, touched up the edge with Brownells Oxpho Blue. All eight of the Mags I have now drop free......
Old 02-20-2017, 01:44 PM
Relativist

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven95 View Post
Quote:

If you can access the following URL (you may need to register on the forum) search for the phrase " 50' "

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.p...3227#msg83227(
Thanks, that's very helpfull! I'll take these next time I go.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:15 PM
W_N_Y_Hunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Hmm, if I'm in that much in a hurry to change magazines, maybe a 22 is not the right rifle lol.
I get it about changing magazines in a hurry / get a bigger rifle...thought about that when I set up some guns for home defense & if I'm home the flash will be bright and the bang loud.
Then a neighbor mentioned a set up he did for his wife. His thought was to set up a 22 semi auto for his wife as a home defense. I had to agree that it would be easier for her to handle and if I was an intruder in the line of someone hitting me in the chest with 22s as fast as they could pull a trigger I'd be pretty deterred pretty quickly. He set her up with a blinding LED light mounted with a laser so she wouldn't have to worry about sights. I'm going to set up something similar. Been looking at these.
http://huntingtactical.com/firearm-a...s/stocks/HT60/
They seem like I could mount just about any accessory I want for her, custom fit it to her for ease of handling and still be able to take it out and play around myself when I feel like having some fun with it.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:49 PM
Relativist

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by W_N_Y_Hunter View Post
I get it about changing magazines in a hurry / get a bigger rifle...thought about that when I set up some guns for home defense & if I'm home the flash will be bright and the bang loud.
Then a neighbor mentioned a set up he did for his wife. His thought was to set up a 22 semi auto for his wife as a home defense. I had to agree that it would be easier for her to handle and if I was an intruder in the line of someone hitting me in the chest with 22s as fast as they could pull a trigger I'd be pretty deterred pretty quickly. He set her up with a blinding LED light mounted with a laser so she wouldn't have to worry about sights. I'm going to set up something similar. Been looking at these.
http://huntingtactical.com/firearm-a...s/stocks/HT60/
They seem like I could mount just about any accessory I want for her, custom fit it to her for ease of handling and still be able to take it out and play around myself when I feel like having some fun with it.
Thanks for the link, hadn't heard of that stock before. I wonder if we can have them in California, I'll have to check.

For the application you bring up, I think a mini14 with a good break to make things loud and scary with some lighter defense/fragmentation rounds to reduce recoil and the chance of going through walls would be something to consider over a 22LR round. Lets hope none of us will ever need to use such a thing at home, anyway, back on topic.

I've been on a trip, but like I mentioned there is a range really close to home and I'm planning on following up after a cleaning and finishing the upgrades. I'll post picks of before and after targets.

I've also noticed that there is a bedding mod mentioned in some threads I can do to the existing stock, using some aluminum spacers and JB weld, if anyone has a link to some instructions I'd appreciate it as I couldn't find it through search. For now I'd prefer to keep the stock I have, but I will upgrade it eventually probably with the Boyd, I really do like the way it looks. For now it's all about function though.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:21 PM
Relativist

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You know, I wonder, between DIP and XS sights I'm wondering if I contacted one or the other, maybe they'd produce a prototype? Any suggestions on who's more likely to do such a thing? Who knows, maybe MCARBO might also consider such an offering.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:16 AM
Relativist

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Got the mcarbo spring kit installed tonight. The youtube video helps a lot. Testing on snap caps trigger feels much smoother. I'm going to give the last DIP screw I couldn't get in before one more try before I contact DIP about it.

I'm really looking forward to some range time this weekend.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:16 PM
Relativist

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotojake View Post
Appleseed, eh?

Get in shape, if you aren't already. Push-ups for strength and lots of stretching for the contortions you will put your body in. I went to one last summer in Flagstaff in pretty good shape. After the first day I slept like a rock. Woke up sore as all get up!
Towards the end of the second day I was really getting tired, so, popped a gel and finally shot Rifleman after coming close all day. That little hit of sugar sure helped!

To get back on track: my TSR 100 sight worked great on the 10/22 Takedown.

Good luck. It's a gas and, boy, do you learn how to aim!
Thanks for this. I'm going to be printing targets for 50' which is the distance at my local pistol range and practicing from standing. It's not set up where I can sit and go prone from what I could tell.

I'm really glad I got a 22 that I can use regularly, it's a great solution IMO to have a way to easily keep practicing.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:18 PM
Relativist

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just got back from the range, got to shoot another large variety of ammo again, except I had CCI select instead of SV. I thought I had the SV in the ammo box but had forgotten I bought the select and mistaken it for SV.

Overall I think the groups tightened up. Most of the spread is due to shooter fatigue. Also, the lane I was in the target was swaying.

The feel of the rifle and trigger pull feel nice for certain with the mcarbo kit. All together I think the upgrades add up to make it a very nice shooting rifle.

Were I to do it again, I'd have done the mcarbo upgrade before shooting the rifle the first time.

I did have one FTE today, it was with Remington thunderbird bulk ammo. The case was pinched closed by the bolt, but when I pulled the trigger nothing happened. I think the extra power recoil spring helped with pinching the case closed so flat. once I cleared it everything else shot just fine.

Next time I go, I'll be practicing quickly changing magazines with one hand.

It's very nice to have a rifle I can use at a conveniently close pistol range and get some time with double hearing protection and no one talking to me for a few hours

'plinking' is well worth it.