Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-09-2017, 12:13 AM
carved

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A few '60 questions

I'm debating either a bolt gun or a Model 60.

Thirty years ago, I had a M60. I kept it in pristine condition. Like a **** idiot, I sold it. I can't believe I was so stupid. I thought I'd always be able to get another if I wanted to. I never would have guessed at what happened to the brand.

What's the availability like of very good condition North Haven made 60s? Are they as rare as hen's teeth? How much would one in great condition go for? Well, let me clarify: I don't care about the stock condition, as I'll be putting a Boyd's on it. I'm talking about the hardware.

I'd like a shorter barrel. How difficult would this be, considering there is a tubular magazine? I wouldn't want the front sight reinstalled, it will be used with a scope.
---
I like the feature that holds the bolt open after the last shot. If I got a model 75 (shorter barrel), could I just drop the action from a newer one (with the hold open feature) into it, or wouldn't it fit?

Thanks

Last edited by carved; 03-09-2017 at 01:49 AM.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:50 AM
katman
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As far as the shorter barrel, that was standard on the Model 60 starting in 2003, and continues with the current production rifles. Before that time, Marlin did make a different model that is basically a short barreled Model 60. That is the 75C. Those are fairly rare. I've only seen one first hand. That was a couple years ago at a local gun show.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:08 AM
longislandloco
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Old style and new style action bottoms don't mix, different attachment to receiver, old style had screws, new style does not.

As to QC on new rifles, having owned at least a dozen of both........the new Mayfield rifles are just as good, maybe not as pretty, but function just fine.

Old 03-09-2017, 11:18 AM
carved

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks. Great to know about the quality of the new Model 60. Thanks for the link regarding the trigger upgrade. The trigger was the only thing that I had a real issue with on my previous 60.