Ejector wire gage for Marlin 60 - Page 5 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:29 PM
hawk_driver
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I have a Marlin 60 that I bought used around 81, must have been 13ish at the time. After many years of use, it started feeding weird, round would only come up at an angle and the bolt would jam it against the feed ramp. It made a trip to the gunsmith when I was in my early 20's, still couldnt get it to feed properly.

Poor gun sat in my dads safe for about 20 years as I traveled the world. I bought a 10\22 20 some years ago so I could have a 22 that ran properly.

Last Christmas I brought it home with me. I bought a complete lower assembly off the internet about a month ago and dropped it in. Fed great, but ejection was a problem. Found this helpful hint, adjusted the wire per the nickle flush/wide. Fired 50 rounds thru it this morning and it works like a charm.

Thanks for helping get that old gun of mine back up and running.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:55 PM
DKremer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a 1968 model 49 with the fixed ejector. I just ordered the throat kit from Brownells. I hope it fixes the ejection issues and doesn't cause any other problems.

Last edited by DKremer; 07-07-2016 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:20 PM
DKremer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ejector wire gage for Marlin 60

Success! Oddly enough the rifle had a 4 stud two piece throat with rivet. The new throat just dropped in. I had to shorten the hook end of the spring a hair and put the bevel on the ejection side of the throat to match the bolt. Good opportunity to clean the old action up also.

I filled the tube and manually cycled them all and then fired one in the yard. It ejected with haste!

Range trip needed soon.

Last edited by DKremer; 07-13-2016 at 08:42 PM.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:07 PM
ArrowDodger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Send a message via AIM to ArrowDodger
Congrats and nice work. Great to know the 49 and 60 have those similarities.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:22 AM
DKremer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
50 or so shots at the range and not a single FTE or FTF. It was ejecting the cases so vigorously they were bouncing off the lane partition and coming back to hit the scope and side of my head. It has never ejected so perpendicular, if they didn't stovepipe they nearly always 45 went degrees forward, probably tossed forward by the closing bolt after weak ejector kick.

love this rifle again.

Last edited by DKremer; 07-18-2016 at 07:24 AM.
Old 11-16-2016, 07:03 PM
SteelHorseCowboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm not kidding, I almost feel like crying right now. I just got a '78 Glenfield model 60. Had to replace the barrel and was having some reliability issues.

I discovered, before replacing the barrel, that the ejector spring was UNDER the feed ramp. I'm not the first idiot to work on it apparently. So I got it back on top.

Still having reliability issues, identical to what I had before moving the spring to the top of the ramp. As someone mentioned in the first page or two, might as well not even have an ejector.

Here's a pic of where it rested when I got it on top of the ramp. Very clearly out of spec. Going to adjust it ASAP and see if that gets it running.

I'm so freaking glad I've found this forum. It's quickly becoming one of my favorites.
Old 11-17-2016, 02:48 AM
ArrowDodger

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Your Marlin is old enough and possibly worn enough to require a new feed-throat kit. This video link gives some insight to that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skC1W6JqNgI

Last edited by ArrowDodger; 11-17-2016 at 02:53 AM. Reason: link
Old 11-17-2016, 11:37 AM
SteelHorseCowboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowDodger View Post
Your Marlin is old enough and possibly worn enough to require a new feed-throat kit. This video link gives some insight to that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skC1W6JqNgI
You do seem to be the go-to expert on the Model 60, and I suspect you may very well be correct. But here's a picture of mine, it doesn't look very worn to me, looks nice and tight. What do you think?

I'm not feeling this rifle was actually fired much, just abused. Besides the bulges in the barrel (which I've replaced, THAT sucked), the rifling looked great too.

I'm not seeing much wear anywhere. Looks like it was bought, spent maybe around 30 years bouncing around behind the seat or in the tool box of a truck, then dropped off at a pawn shop when it quit working (likely for a song, which is about what I paid for it).

Your other videos did help me out quite a bit. Whoever took this rifle apart before me apparently knew far less about guns than they thought. They forgot to install, or lost, what I call the "Jesus" clips on one side of the lower. I started calling them Jesus clips when I was in the Marines and had to work on my M249, because the first words out of your mouth when they go flying is "oh sweet Jesus please help me". Other folks know them as "C" clips I believe. Yes, I did my own maintenance on my SAW, my armorer highly approved, it saved him the trouble and I did a good job of it. Even made new springs from safety pins in my fighting hole in Afghanistan.

Old joke I heard once.
"Lock a Marine Grunt in a padded cell with a ball bearing and he'll still break it."

"Break the ball bearing?"

"Yep, AND the padded cell."

Anyway... last shade tree smith left off the c-clips. And my lower exploded all over my shop. I just spent the last hour or so on my hands and knees with a magnet and strong headlamp gathering my parts. Used one of your other videos to make sure I had them all and then to reassemble it.
Oh, I adjusted the ejector spring while I was at it, and made sure I put the lower in with the bolt locked to the rear and mag insert/follower removed!

I want to thank you for the work you do and for the videos you've made. Please get back to me on that feed ramp, whether it looks good to you or not. After I reassembled the lower, I still couldn't find any play or looseness between the halves.

Also, are your videos compiled anywhere besides youtube? Such as a list of links to all them somewhere on this forum? I think that'd be a great idea, as I don't have, nor want, a youtube account. But, if that's the best way to go to follow all your videos, you may singlehandedly change my mind on that! Your knowledge has so far been a boon to me with this old beater!
Old 11-17-2016, 12:06 PM
SteelHorseCowboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Oh, and for reference, I'm assuming after reading most of this thread that the tolerances for those of us who do have calipers is .060"-.075"? I do happen to have a set. They're not the best or easy to use at all, but they're accurate.
Old 11-17-2016, 12:33 PM
ArrowDodger

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Well, thank you. Lots of members here share this experience and willing to help. All of my videos
Are listed on youtube if you click on my name there.."arrowdodger luvs marlins" select Videos to see the list. All very amateur quality...lol. So glad that feed-throat is still tight. Thats an expense you can put off until later.
That .060-.075 came from trial and error and i still use a nickel and penny even though i have several sets of calipers..lol. coins are quick and easy tools.

Last edited by ArrowDodger; 11-17-2016 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:48 PM
SteelHorseCowboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
They are, I happened to have six cents in my pocket! Lol, most times I don't feel like I have much more than that, but hey, if you can fix a rifle with six cents, there ain't much you can't do!

I just hand cycled 15 rounds through it. That doesn't usually say much, and I know it's not a definitive function check. But, it cycled all of them perfectly. So I loaded them back up and did it again! Had a couple FTFeeds, but I blame that on the fact that the noses got beat up the first time around. They all still ejected perfectly. Pulled the bullets and dumped the powder. This is a 100% improvement. Before, I couldn't even get an ejection by hand. I'm looking forward to an actual test firing, hopefully tomorrow. May try to get to the range before or after my lunch break.

Last edited by SteelHorseCowboy; 11-17-2016 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-18-2016, 07:55 PM
SteelHorseCowboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Perfect! Works great! Thanks so much for the info ArrowDodger.

Never got to the range, so I stepped outside my back door when I got home. Only ten rounds down the pipe, so not a thorough testing, but they were flawless. Would have loved to shoot more, but I have neighbors and there was a storm coming in.

The first three cycled perfectly. So I went rapid fire. Firing into the base of a tree about 10 yards straight down the hill. Few minutes later, knock on my front door. It's the neighbor.

"what the heck you shootin at?"
A tree.
"why?"
It was being nosy.
We shared a laugh, smoke and glass of tea. Then drove him home 200 yards away because the bottom dropped out.

Last edited by SteelHorseCowboy; 11-18-2016 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:38 PM
ArrowDodger

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Hahaha..good one! You have a nice neighbor. Hope it was a mulberry tree...ha
Old 11-21-2016, 06:38 AM
SteelHorseCowboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Better function test, went to the range yesterday and between my son and I, put over 200 rounds through it. Only had one malfunction, and it was user induced. While teaching my son how to chamber a round, he tried to ride the bolt home and caused an FTFeed on the first round. I cleared it, explained to him what just happened, and we continued on with no further mishaps. Well, besides a hot casing going down someone's bra. But the rifle functioned flawlessly.