Basic Setup/Maintenance Guidelines for Marlin Semiautos - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:10 AM
mudgripz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Basic Setup/Maintenance Guidelines for Marlin Semiautos

Some hunting team-mates and I run marlin semis very successfully. From our experience here's a guideline that may help solving most marlin semi problems. Guidelines include good advice we have received from Big Shrek, Eric0424, Arrowdodger and others on this site. Guidelines won't be 100% but I hope they are useful:

If you have a bent recoil spring and can't immediately replace it, straighten it best you can with needle nose pliers - usually still works well. Then when refitting bolt ensure spring is compressed inside bolt hole as you fit this into reciever. This saves bending springs further. Oil this spring if needed.

Note recoil spring affects bolt movement and reloading only - not firing pin/striking power. Light striking is generally speaking due to worn firing pin or worn or shortened hammer springs. Gunsmiths have often clipped a coil or two off hammer springs to help lighten triggers but it can end up causing light strikes. See FTF below.

If you have intermittent fail to cycle with your semi, determine if it is fail to load (FTL), fail to fire (FTF), or fail to eject (FTE).

If FTL:
* give rifle action a thorough clean and dissolve powder residue from parts especially feedthroat.
* Clean out extractor indents either side of chamber
* Check for full bolt movement
* Check for burrs at chamber entrance
* Check for worn and weak recoil spring. Replace as needed.
* Clean off all excess oil from action
* If a magazine model, slide off bottom plate and clean out magazine with white spirit/fuelite periodically to ensure bridge in mag is lifting smoothly (not jerky), and rounds coming up correctly. You can also take bottom off mags to sand edges of mag bridge a wee bit for optimum movement, but make sure you put spring back in right way. Keep mag lubed.
* If a tube model, keep tube lubed.

If you have FTF:
* may be bad cartridges with primer gel missing round bottom edge of case - common with powerpoints at the moment - or if you're carrying rounds loose in gun pouch.
* Can be worn down or damaged firing pin due to dry firing. Take pin out and check out - should have a chiselled end. Check for consistent strike depth on cartridge cases. New pin if needed.
* Could be light striking which is normally worn hammer spring due to age, or people taking 1-2 coils off to lighten trigger, or leaving action open and cocked in cupboard weakening spring.
* Could also be wear in small slot where a pin holds the firing pin into bolt.
* Occasionally new semis have a recoil spring that is too strong and will not cycle lower powered subs reliably. Possible solutions: swap in an older spring, or run in with CCI minimag hv for a brick or two, or leave action open for few days or week to soften spring - then repeat this as necessary till it cycles the subs well. See Frosty's comments in post 7 below.

If FTE:
* Clean action thoroughly and on reassembly put max one drop of oil on bolt surfaces only. They don't operate oiled up. Or use a proven dry lube.
* Check position of ejector wire - see rimfirecentral marlin semi sticky:
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=388240

* Strip bolt and clean and check condition of extractors. Replace if needed.

Note:
* all semis are picky and will cycle some rounds well and others poorly. Marlin semis generally like all things CCI, and some also like Winchester HV. For range accuracy CCI standard Velocity solids and CCI subs usually shooot very well.
* marlin semis must be run clean and dry. Don't spray oil everywhere - that kills them. Dirty actions and excess of oil is main cause of problems. There are a couple of points in action which need occasional dot of oil or grease - go to Marlin Firearms site and download rifle manual.
* don't generally leave your action open when rifle in cupboard. Wears out recoil spring, and can weaken hammer spring if left cocked - and this causes light striking.
* don't overtighten front bedding screw - but experiment with different pressures to improve accuracy
* don't overtighten rear of trigger guard screw - breaks with too much pressure and when over-tightened can pressure receiver which may hinder proper cycling
* If trigger guard breaks - buy new or take to auto repair shop for plastic welding - cheap and very effective solution.

These basic guidelines solve most marlin problems - they are very reliable rifles with a little set up prep and maintenance.

Last edited by mudgripz; 11-03-2014 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Title Change
Old 06-19-2013, 01:45 PM
toomanyguns
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Pretty comprehensive.

Worth saving for reference.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:15 PM
Frosty

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Should be a sticky. Great info....

Old 06-21-2013, 05:55 PM
mudgripz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Its a short problem solving guide learned from my own and team-mates' years owning and restoring Marlin semis, and it also includes good basic advice from a number of experienced RFC members (eg big shrek, arrowdodger, eric0424) who have shared tips with 60s/795s etc. That advice helped us alot.

Hopefully people will continue to add good maintenance ideas to this sticky.

Last edited by mudgripz; 06-29-2013 at 02:46 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:21 PM
mudgripz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here is the link for Mcarbo spring sets - a good product and for me a very useful tip from RFC. These sets not only lighten triggers - they can quite often solve light-striking issues by replacing the hammer spring. Helps with any Marlin semi, and a good investment for older semis we may be restoring etc.

http://www.mcarbo.com/marlin-60-795-t900.htm
Old 10-23-2013, 12:43 AM
Ithacabuff
US Navy Veteran Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
About broken trigger guard

may I also suggest that you might do what did. I broke the trigger guard to a 795. It was just one break. So, I put a bit of super-glue on the fracture and actually used the t/g opening on the stock to hold the t/g in proper position while the glue dried. When I was done the t/g appeared to be just as strong as before. I can not give any history of t/g personally because not long after I bought a DIP t/g and gave the repaired one to another forum member. I am guessing it is still in use. I want to thank the OPs for your information.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:11 PM
Frosty

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like to break in Marlins with CCI mini-mags. After a hundred or so rounds, you should be able to see the wear marks left on the bolt and the inside of the receiver. Cleaning the inside of the receiver w/ something strong to remove the paint overspray from when it was painted at the factory, seems to smooth things out well. Then I move my attention to the bolt. A piece of glass w/ a fine (500) grit piece of sandpaper oiled up while moving the bolt in a figure 8 motion, will get rid of any high marks left over from the factory. Cleaning the bolt w/ brake clean and a drop of CLP finishes off the job. Have had great success using this method to make 60's and 795's action function better.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:19 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Send a message via AIM to ArrowDodger
I just finishing a KAT and had lots of jams during test fire. I thought OMG this old gun needs a feedthroat, however it was not shot much and hardly worn, so I looked elsewhere. Upon inspecting the recoil spring and guide rod, I found they were mildly kinked in several places. I straightened the rod near perfect but I did not try to straighten the multi-kinked spring. A new spring made this 60 shoot normal. These recoil springs are inexpensive to replace if you have any doubt about their function. This reminded how important their straightness is to reliable operation. A chat to the owner revealed it had been kinked during a cleaning project.

Here is a link that can help model 60 owners remove and install the bolt. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx8wzfZgdgU

Last edited by ArrowDodger; 04-22-2015 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:06 PM
M4Eagle

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The reassembly of the Marlin 60 bolt is a real hassle with that flimsy spring n recoil rod. Most people seem to master it but I just have not despite trying all the recommendations such as inserting spring first as far as u can into the bolt opening. Wish there was some proven simple way to make this reassembly easier
Old 04-03-2015, 04:58 PM
jwbrule
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to jwbrule
Basket Case

I was given a Marlin CC550 that is all taken apart. I can not find any information on this model. Does anyone have any help for me?
Old 08-16-2015, 11:41 AM
bountybuddy
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Many thanks for information on model 795 cleaning.

I just bought a new Marlin Model 795SS. I can't thank you enough for your tips on cleaning it. Shoot well my friends.