Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:50 AM
ItsKYRO

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Welp, there goes my receiver finish

Went to clean my ruger 10/22 for the first time...didn't realize that the stainless steel barrel/receiver couldnt handle certain types of gun cleaner. I used my dads cleaner he sprays on his handguns. Break CLP i think it was called. It ate away quite a bit of the finish (looks like a matte finish?) on the receiver. Now its all splotchy.

I'm thinking at this point it would be best to get rid of the rest of the finish and just let it be a shiny stainless steel on the receiver.

Anybody see any issues with doing this? If not, what's the best, safest way to get rid of the rest of the finish on the receiver?
Old 01-11-2017, 12:49 PM
RCP Phx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The receiver is made of aluminum not SS, the barrel would be SS if it's not blue!
Old 01-11-2017, 01:30 PM
xdm9mm
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Same thing happened to my black 10/22 receiver. I have not yet removed the remaining paint... I will do so at some point.

Edit: the culprit is also Breakfree LCP

Old 01-11-2017, 02:03 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (107)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
The receiver is made of aluminum not SS, the barrel would be SS if it's not blue!
This one, bought new several years back has a stainless barrel painted silver, and a nasty gray receiver paint job. It shoots good though.

Sorry you screwed up your receiver finish, but now you can strip it and polish it like this:

Make some lemonade out of that lemon.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:18 PM
Canucky

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Interesting that clp removed the finish. Mine did the same thing on one side. Used fine steel wool and gently blended it off. Wife locked the cat in my room where I had the rifle in the take down bag. Yep cat marked the bag. Found the receiver and blamed the cat. Well guess I owe Thumper an apology.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:38 PM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (73)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Check that label..
I think what did the dead is NOT BreakFree CLP.. I use that a bunch and have never had a problem on anything painted.

BUT, now if it was GunScrubber by Birchwood Casey I say BINGO.. it has done damage on several of mine before I knew what the culprit was.. it even MELTED a plastic mag release.
It comes in 2 formulas.. one is Synthetic Safe and I have used that with success. The other OLDER formula is HUNGRY.. and WILL EAT PAINT, plastic and maybe even my Mother-In-Laws meat loaf .. not sure they even make the original formula any longer.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:33 PM
amblerrl
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (123)
polish that sucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol shooter View Post
This one, bought new several years back has a stainless barrel painted silver, and a nasty gray receiver paint job. It shoots good though.

Sorry you screwed up your receiver finish, but now you can strip it and polish it like this:

Make some lemonade out of that lemon.
i like the looks of this redo
Old 01-12-2017, 12:37 AM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (107)
You should Bobby, it's your stock, receiver, and barrel band.
How ya doin', buddy?
Old 01-12-2017, 10:30 AM
ItsKYRO

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
Check that label..
I think what did the dead is NOT BreakFree CLP.. I use that a bunch and have never had a problem on anything painted.

BUT, now if it was GunScrubber by Birchwood Casey I say BINGO.. it has done damage on several of mine before I knew what the culprit was.. it even MELTED a plastic mag release.
It comes in 2 formulas.. one is Synthetic Safe and I have used that with success. The other OLDER formula is HUNGRY.. and WILL EAT PAINT, plastic and maybe even my Mother-In-Laws meat loaf .. not sure they even make the original formula any longer.
I used both. So there's our answer. It was gunscrubber. What's a recommendation to take the rest of the paint off? It appears theres a nice shiny silver surface underneath that looks better anyway, what's a safe way to get it all down to that?
Old 01-12-2017, 11:03 AM
Chaser

TPC Rating: 
100% (73)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsKYRO View Post
I used both. So there's our answer. It was gunscrubber. What's a recommendation to take the rest of the paint off? It appears theres a nice shiny silver surface underneath that looks better anyway, what's a safe way to get it all down to that?
That's what I thought.. GS old formula is a accident waiting to happen.

O.K. - I have done at least 2 dozen strip jobs.. tried every stripper on the market including Pure Acetone and it all sucks..messy and gooey... ya can just use the rest of the GunScrubber to get rid of that crap and see what ya get off with that.. then, if ya have a Dremel get yourself some of these shown below..Dremel brand found at Lowes/Walmart/Home Depot.. they strip and leave a satin finish IF done right.. then you can Buff with rouge and a polishing wheel if you want it like chrome.. finish with Mothers Mag Polish and then wax with any good Auto Wax.. I just use Kit or any similar with Carnuba.

After stripping with Dremel Buffs...

Then you can power buff...

Then you can get creative if ya want..

Old 01-12-2017, 12:25 PM
ItsKYRO

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No dremel :/
So just gunscrubber to get the rest off and then try to shine it up with some gun cleaner?
Old 01-12-2017, 12:55 PM
amblerrl
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (123)
receiver finish

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol shooter View Post
You should Bobby, it's your stock, receiver, and barrel band.
How ya doin', buddy?
doing fine bob, still playing with 10/22's rifles and giving them away to kinfolk. not posting much but still check in a couple of times a day.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:56 PM
Chaser

TPC Rating: 
100% (73)
Get the rest off by whatever means ya have.. GunScrubber and/or 200 grit.. then 400 gr... then 600 grit and keep going till ya like it.. then finish with Mothers Mag Polish and then wax.
I will say that some of the paint Ruger has blown on in the last 15 years will come off if ya pee on it (not really but almost).
Old 01-12-2017, 01:15 PM
ItsKYRO

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Aw crap, I read the "not really but almost" too late. Well, how am i gonna get this smell off the receiver now?

Just kidding.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:53 PM
ItsKYRO

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
Get the rest off by whatever means ya have.. GunScrubber and/or 200 grit.. then 400 gr... then 600 grit and keep going till ya like it.. then finish with Mothers Mag Polish and then wax.
I will say that some of the paint Ruger has blown on in the last 15 years will come off if ya pee on it (not really but almost).
I just thought about this, I didnt use a bore snake but I did spray it inside my barrel. Should I expect my barrel to be ruined or it only ruins the aluminum receiver?