This ever happen to you? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-07-2017, 03:20 PM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Question This ever happen to you?

I ordered a couple new parts for my '79 RSA from SGW and set about to instal them yesterday. I hadn't disassembled my pistol for several years and I recalled that at least once I had a devil of a time getting the bottom lock assembly out of the barrel hole.

Well, it happened again to me last evening and I finally called it a night about 11 pm. This morning I decided it was going to come out. I locked the pistol in a padded vice and pulled out the big force. A proper sized punch and a light hammer. It took several hard raps, but eventually I saw the pin starting to retreat down the hole. A couple more wacks and it dropped out.

The obstacle was quickly identified, and I don't know how anyone (unless it had already happened to them before.) would have figured it out, or how the problem could be resolved.

The bottom hinge pin had drifted out about an 1/8 of an inch to the right side. That pin was catching on the inside of the frame and not allowing the barrel pin to drop out. The pin made a notch on the inside of the frame when the pin was finally driven by. The pin was unscathed.

I preened the pin so that occurrence would not happen again. Next item of business was to preen the frame and do a little dremel work to repair the ding in the side of the frame. Not perfect, but not too noticeable either.

Now, to install the new Clark trigger, firing pin and and extractor. I hope I don't have any more surprises.

VH
Old 01-07-2017, 09:06 PM
S&WMan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yup, it's happened to me. The very first MK II that I bought new. The pin had drifted about 1/16". So I ended up with less damage to my frame.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:20 PM
kmev
US Coast Guard Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hasn't happened to me, but I just pulled mine to check - the pin is still firmly peened into place.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:01 PM
dingode
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Never happened to me, but I've read about it here numerous times. Is there a fix so this doesn't happen?
Old 01-09-2017, 12:33 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmit hunter67 View Post
I ordered a couple new parts for my '79 RSA from SGW and set about to instal them yesterday. I hadn't disassembled my pistol for several years and I recalled that at least once I had a devil of a time getting the bottom lock assembly out of the barrel hole.

Well, it happened again to me last evening and I finally called it a night about 11 pm. This morning I decided it was going to come out. I locked the pistol in a padded vice and pulled out the big force. A proper sized punch and a light hammer. It took several hard raps, but eventually I saw the pin starting to retreat down the hole. A couple more wacks and it dropped out.

The obstacle was quickly identified, and I don't know how anyone (unless it had already happened to them before.) would have figured it out, or how the problem could be resolved.

The bottom hinge pin had drifted out about an 1/8 of an inch to the right side. That pin was catching on the inside of the frame and not allowing the barrel pin to drop out. The pin made a notch on the inside of the frame when the pin was finally driven by. The pin was unscathed.

I preened the pin so that occurrence would not happen again. Next item of business was to preen the frame and do a little dremel work to repair the ding in the side of the frame. Not perfect, but not too noticeable either.

Now, to install the new Clark trigger, firing pin and and extractor. I hope I don't have any more surprises.

VH

I have indeed seen that happen, several times. Fortunately, you were lucky and that dang pin didn't drift far enough to get under the grip frame ledge. That then, becomes a hair-pulling adventure where not even 2 shots of "Jameson's"
are able to calm the nerves. The first time I encountered that issue, I dressed a hacksaw blade to a very thin thickness, so it could at least fit through the gap between the mainspring housing assembly and the grip frame. All the "kerf" was removed from the blade so sawing was another lesson in developing patience.

I don't fool around anymore with a hacksaw blade. I just drill a tiny hole through the grip frame to where I can install a punch through that hole and then push the pin back into place far enough to get the mainspring housing assembly out of place.
Then, and I recommend all those reading this to follow this procedure, I will stake that pin with a center marking punch along the edge of the pins, both the top and bottom pin, 120 's apart where the edge of the pin meets the grip frame. After that you'll never have that pin drift.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:44 PM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
Then, and I recommend all those reading this to follow this procedure, I will stake that pin with a center marking punch along the edge of the pins, both the top and bottom pin, 120 's apart where the edge of the pin meets the grip frame. After that you'll never have that pin drift.
I used a ball peen hammer (a small one my grandfather had, far older than I am.) to accomplish essentially the same thing. If for some stroke of genius I had guessed it was the pin, I might have laid the pistol over on its side and tapped it with a rubber mallet to see if I could get it back to center. If one way didn't work, try the other side. I think it was loose enough I could have saved myself a lot of work. But all was not to no avail. I had dinged up the rear of the barrel assembly several years ago installing a new rear sight. Impatience can be your worst enemy. Anyway, I used the same little hammer to preen some of the wrinkles out as smooth as I could [like I did the frame where the pin had gouged it.]. A little fine work with a dremel, several W/D grits 600-2000 and I have a smooth surface again with hardly any serious aftereffects. I will degrease and reblue the barrel assembly area one day in the near future. I also dressed the sight base and more better installed it, and installed the new trigger, firing pin and extractor. I took it to the range yesterday and fine tuned it. That old ruger is right back on the money.

I have done something similar, however - because I knew what had slipped - on my Browning Medalist when the roll pin which holds the firing pin in place dropped down enough to hang in the top of the frame under the slide. I turned it upside down and rapped it a few times and I was able to remove the slide. Needless to say, I replaced that roll pin.

One last thought: The trigger I replaced was a replacement trigger I had installed (probably the last time I had a problem). It was nearly identical to the Clark trigger. But I put the new one in anyway.

VH :man: