Best way to remove escutcheon from stock? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:02 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Best way to remove escutcheon from stock?

I have a 10/22 stock I want to have hyrdodipped. Wondering what's the best way to remove the escutcheon on the underside of the stock - where the takedown screw goes. Is this just a press fit item? Don't want to mess up the wood by forcing it out poorly.

Suggestions?
Old 01-03-2017, 07:12 PM
RCP Phx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just tap it out! You can always install it with some epoxy.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:33 PM
Tyendor
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Why does it need to come out before the stock is dipped?

Old 01-03-2017, 07:43 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyendor View Post
Why does it need to come out before the stock is dipped?

Not sure, maybe it doesn't. I was thinking that coating would potentially peel off or crinkle or something when inserting/tightening the screw. Never done a hydrodip before, not sure what to expect.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:59 PM
OleFreak
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Yup, should, with aid of a 7/16” punch, punch rite out without a great deal of effort. Going back in should be even easier, possibly too easy and it might need gluing in to get the thang to stay put.

Or, glue in these after a little prep:

The skinny of a Raven Eye flanged pillar is a tad less than 7/16” so it should be an easy enuf push-in fit going into the existing hole drilled for a factory Ruger escutcheon. The overall length of the Raven Eye pillar with flange sufficiently let into the stock and the pillar’s bottom side resting atop the height of Ruger’s escutcheon is the ideal length for use with a factory Ruger length action screw.

Last edited by OleFreak; 01-03-2017 at 09:02 PM. Reason: fergits pic of "these", der ...
Old 01-03-2017, 09:11 PM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomack View Post
Not sure, maybe it doesn't. I was thinking that coating would potentially peel off or crinkle or something when inserting/tightening the screw. Never done a hydrodip before, not sure what to expect.
No need to remove it. A good hydrodipper will either mask the hole or lay the film right in it. Hydrodipped stocks get at least 2 coats of automotive clear coat so the stuff is VERY durable- provided that you use a skilled and reputable outfit. I had a custom Merier silhouette stock dipped 2 years ago and I love the result. It has yet to show any scratches or wear. I do keep it coated with Renaissance crystalline wax.

DrGunner
Old 01-07-2017, 03:21 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You can dip a wood stock???
Old 01-07-2017, 03:45 PM
thudd3r
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
You can dip a wood stock???
yep. depending on the background color you want and the film you choose (some have transparent areas to let the background color through), the stock would be sealed or painted first anyways
Old 01-07-2017, 03:47 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
the way I remove one from a bare stock is to remove the takedown screw completely, flip the stock around and thread the screw into the escutcheon from inside the stock, then lightly tap on the head of the screw till the escutcheon comes out of the bottom of the stock..some stocks it seems will have a little tear out around the hole no matter how carefully you do this, so be warned
Old 01-07-2017, 07:14 PM
CATMguy445
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to CATMguy445
I have an old walnut carbine stock (not an Overton, it's later than that) that needs to be stripped and refinished. I tried tapping on the escutcheon with a punch from inside the stock, but it didn't seem to want to budge any, so I stopped before anything was damaged.

When refinishing a stock, is it really necessary to remove the escutcheon before stripping the old finish or applying stain and Tru-Oil?
Old 01-07-2017, 08:06 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CATMguy445 View Post
When refinishing a stock, is it really necessary to remove the escutcheon before stripping the old finish or applying stain and Tru-Oil?

Thanks for the replies. FWIW, I wouldn't think it would be necessary for a refinish or stain/oil etc. But for a complete recoat or hydrodipping, I wasn't sure.