Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-02-2017, 04:36 PM
Manford Trens

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Speed Steel 10/22?

My range has a nice little setup for steel shooting, and I think it would be fun to run these plates with a 10/22. I know there are competitions for this kind of thing and I have watched some vids on youtube, but I am wondering if any of you have experience/advice to share about building a 10/22 for this kind of thing. I am thinking that a red dot-type sight would be ideal, and am imagining that a factory barrel will be accurate enough, though I also have a GM 17" HT and a TacSol LW 16.5" barrel I could try. I figure something that balances and swings well is ideal, so shorter barrels and stocks? I wonder if a normal stock or some kind of pistol-grip would be better?

I am interested to see pics of your 10/22 set up for any kind of close range, fast plinking, and hear about your trial and error so I can learn from your experiences. Thanks!
Old 01-02-2017, 06:07 PM
MarkS
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have one going together. I have a Trugol red dot, and a raptor stock https://primaryweapons.com/store/product/raptor-stock/ I think stocks are discontinued, better jump on them quick. http://hawktecharms.com/pws-raptor-1...k-voodoo-blue/ cost more, but have more colors. A factory barrel would have the accuracy needed. My stock is coming in tomorrow, I will get pics out when I get it on.

Mark
Old 01-03-2017, 06:53 PM
86c
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a TacSol barreled dsp that weighs less than the nib dsp scoped with a light weight scope. I had a thumbhole stock for it at one point. Long gone. I am much faster with the dsp. The checkering definitely helps a lot for secure and consistent grip imo.

People will argue all day about it but I am going to say that a light scope is faster and easier and more accurate than a dot. Yes done both.

The real key to speed is to have the cheek rest set up such that it locks your eye dead center of your optic whatever it be. You never have to hunt for anything.

Next, field of view. I prefer a 2x scope for this. Leopold 2-7x28 is both very light (only 10oz w/ rings and very good. 3x max for minimum power.

I don't have one YET but maybe someday. IMO the way to go for optics is a Weaver V-10, 2-10x38mm. Only a few ounces more weight but has the best combined weight, min power, max lens diameter of any scope I know of. It is a center-fire scope but one can manually adjust it to be parallax free at any distance.

My TacSol dsp I have a weaver RV-9 on and it is not bad at all but would trade for a v-10. Mine sits the way it is for about 7years now and its my favorite pea-shooter of all time. Would not change a thing about it.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:51 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So I agree with 86c..Sorta*.

This is my Steel Challenge 10/22.

Thats a Leupold VX-6 3-18 44mm FireDot. Even though it has a 50yd minimum parallax setting (40yds in reality) at 3X it's in sharp focus in as little as 10yd's.
The Ruby red center dot is so fast to pick up, and place on target, the I have very high expectations.

The field of view is huge, and as 86c has stated it's so easy to pick up the FireDot.

The Sorta* part is because I haven't shot a Steel Cahallnge with it yet.
Stay tuned. I will in the next 60 days.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 01-03-2017 at 09:02 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:13 PM
Maricopa Smitty
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
My "steel sporter" began its current life as a very tired and worn 1974-vintage Sporter. As received, the gun could manage 1-1/2" groups at 50 yards scoped with decent ammo (American Eaqle) - plenty accurate for the "Tac .22" steel game at my club, Rio Salado. The gun had some problems from its abusive past; the action was squirmy in the stock, and the trigger group was a sloppy fit in the receiver, almost as if the receiver walls had been spread.

The trigger group was reworked by Brimstone, and Que later pinned, headspaced and beveled the bolt. I bedded the action and then used the Kidd action pins with the itty-bitty screws to snug up the receiver on the trigger group. Lastly, I added a Tac-Sol rail and lever-type mag release. At this point I had maybe $200 in the gun above what it cost me, with the improvements all focused on reliability and speed.

For sighting, I experimented with a Leapers Bug Buster 3-9x32 compact scope and a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot - each well under $100 when I bought them. My club's steel match isn't the "official" Steel Challenge, but rather 4 stages of steel plates of different sizes, arrangements and distances. For 6-8" plates out to 35 yards or so, the red dot allows a nearly heads-up view of the plates and I routinely beat my friends who are great shooters, but running scoped rifles. Where the red dot fell down was on the precision stage, where sometimes there's a rack of irregular, miniature plates at 50 yards and miniature poppers even further out. The precision required for that stage demands a scope. If your match doesn't have teeny targets, stick with a red dot.

I purposely left the barrel stock. I had initially tried a nearly bone-stock carbine for this match, but it felt too light and whippy. Next I tried another one of mine which had a 20" bull barrel on it, and that was a muzzle-heavy pig for this game. That's when my "steel sporter" (as I now call it) came along, and with the longer forend on the stock it just felt right for me, so that's when I set out on the improvements which occurred over a period of several months.

The modest tweaks I made improved the accuracy some, and with the scope I easily averaged sub-1" 5-shot groups at 50 yards with the same AE ammo. Checking my notes, with the RDS sight and CCI AR Tactical ammo, I shot 3/8" 3-shot groups at 25 yards - plenty accurate for the steel game! Thus, no barrel work was deemed necessary. More importantly, the gun ran reliably with BX-1 and BX-25 mags, and the lever mag release makes 'em drop right now.

My suggestion, which is worth exactly what you're paying for it, is to skip the expense of a new barrel and direct the funds toward an improved trigger and reliability. I can't say enough good things about the Brimstone mid-level trigger, as the torsional trigger return spring was a big plus in making the trigger great. I would get the bolt radiused and pinned, with headspacing optional, and add a good extractor. A rounded, extended bolt handle is an ergonomic plus - I can chamber a round and clear misfeeds faster then the AR crowd by reaching it from underneath the gun with the middle finger of the trigger hand. The Sporter stock works better for me than the Hogue OM or the basic carbine stocks, but that will be a function of your body size and shape.

Good luck - let us know what path you take!

Last edited by Maricopa Smitty; 01-03-2017 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:28 PM
Empe

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I use a basically stock 10/22 carbine with a Hornet trigger assembly installed for a lighter more consistent pull . The carbines are light weight at about 5 lbs and fast handling ... both attributes you need for timed steel events. Accuracy is more than adequate from a stock barrel at the distance these matches are typically shot at and reliability on mine at least has been excellent . I just replaced the OEM extractor after 4 yrs. of use. It wasn't giving any problems just some preventive maintenance. I generally use CCI Mini Mags as they are clean burning .
You can spend a lot of money and really trick them out if you want too but it's really not necessary.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:09 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Manford Trens

I just noticed where you live. I assume that your club is the "Upper Nisqualy Sportsmen Club"

I've shot their Challenge a few times, and will be there with my 10/22 in February, weather permitting.
So look me up, and feel free to send me a PM for more info.

So the be more on point about your original question, here are my thoughts.

Any 10/22 will have adequate accuracy for the competition.

You'll want perfect reliability. It has to go bang every time you pull the trigger.

The trigger is critical. I swapped out my KIDD 2 stage to their Single stage set at 1.5lbs because I wanted to have zero creep, and a super fast/short re-set.

I'm using my Super Grade because I have it. It may be to heavy, so I'll see.
Its accuracy is way way beyond what's necessary.

I also already had my Leupold FireDot Scope. I really want to try using a scope because it's not the norm.

If I didn't, I would pick up a C-more reflex Red Dot with the 6MOA dot.

So to recap: Put your money into the Trigger and Sight of your choice.

Hope to see you at the next Challenge.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 01-07-2017 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:36 PM
frozen
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I shoot with 10/22 using a tacsol barrel and a Burris fast fire 2 red dot . The most important thing is reliability , cci mini mag is my ammo choice
Old 01-07-2017, 04:12 PM
jinx18

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Kidd build with Cmore red dot

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170104_161720.jpg (64.0 KB, 20 views)
Old 01-07-2017, 04:55 PM
frozen
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx18 View Post
Kidd build with Cmore red dot

Nice set up you got ?
Old 01-07-2017, 05:45 PM
cwlongshot

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Talking

Here Is my Steel gun.

I just added the x22 stock. I had a Hogue with a add on comb and it worked but was not as purdy.

The MagPul is better.

CW
Old 01-07-2017, 05:47 PM
jinx18

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen View Post
Nice set up you got ?
Did the picture work? I always have issues attaching them.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:05 PM
frozen
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes nice setup
Old 01-08-2017, 02:52 PM
MarkS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
I have one going together. I have a Trugol red dot, and a raptor stock https://primaryweapons.com/store/product/raptor-stock/ I think stocks are discontinued, better jump on them quick. http://hawktecharms.com/pws-raptor-1...k-voodoo-blue/ cost more, but have more colors. A factory barrel would have the accuracy needed. My stock is coming in tomorrow, I will get pics out when I get it on.

Mark
It is late 80's gun with midway Barrel, mod trigger, Raptor stock, Kidd guide rod and bolt handle ,Truglo red and green dot. For just speed a red dot is a must, but mixed speed and distance a scope may be the be the way to go. I have been looking at 3 gun type scope 1 x 4 power. the one I like is Bushnell AR, no sale at midway
Mark
Pics.
[IMG]http://i65.tinypic.com/2em0qoh.jpg[/IMGhttp://www.midwayusa.com/product/343491/bushnell-ar-optics-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-1-4x-24mm-1-10-mil-adjustments-first-focal-illuminated-btr-1-reticle-matte

Last edited by MarkS; 01-08-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:07 PM
MarkS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS View Post

Mark
It is late 80's gun with midway Barrel, mod trigger, Raptor stock, Truglo red and green dot.
Mark
Pics.